Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Tom Boyd has retired :eek: citing lack of passion after mental and physical heath issues.

Contract payments reduced for 2019 and completely cancelled for 2020 and 2021
The precedent has now been set, watch the flood gates open on this angle just as it did with the three strikes drug policy.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sunshine Heights FC
The precedent has now been set, watch the flood gates open on this angle just as it did with the three strikes drug policy.
Have a very close family friend that is tight with Tom Boyd. The mental illness aspect is 100% legitimate no drugs whatsoever involved.

jackster83

Pick #1 here we come
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sin City Swamprats, Dethklok
At least he'll always have grand final day but what a shame his life & career has nosedived as it has. From being a No 1 pick and presumably on top of the world to hating the game within a few years

Maybe we should trade out the #1 pick after all?

Also Bulldogs... do you need a forward/ruck?.
Other than the GF, he barely looked AFL standard in any game he played in. He had a huge body but was slow and poorly skilled. Similar to Sellar and Patty McCartin.

rocket18

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The EXERS
Have a very close family friend that is tight with Tom Boyd. The mental illness aspect is 100% legitimate no drugs whatsoever involved.
I don't think he was inferring there were drug issues with Boyd.

The issue is being able to tear up a contract due to any sort of illness/injury. This allows Sydney to get out of the Buddy deal.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I don't think he was inferring there were drug issues with Boyd.

The issue is being able to tear up a contract due to any sort of illness/injury. This allows Sydney to get out of the Buddy deal.
How about us with Jenkins?

Plays out the rest of the season in the SANFL, mental health issues set in due to this and he has a lack of desire to continue his career. This is how such a precedent can be exploited.

Of course Jenkins, and Buddy, would most likely have to forgo any future years payments.

Tippett on the other hand wants as much of his future contract as he can get, and the Swans are carrying him on their list and cap space.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rocket18

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The EXERS
So the club gets to remove his salary from their cap, what is then stopping the player "recovering" and making a come back ala Mal Michael.

Doggies get the guy of their books, don't need to trade him for a salary cap dump and he gets rookie listed at another club.

Well done AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Dodgers, Redlegs
So the club gets to remove his salary from their cap, what is then stopping the player "recovering" and making a come back ala Mal Michael.

Doggies get the guy of their books, don't need to trade him for a salary cap dump and he gets rookie listed at another club.

Well done AFL.
Good question. Hodge retired and kept playing as a more recent example.

The AFL need a rule for this stuff.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Good question. Hodge retired and kept playing as a more recent example.

The AFL need a rule for this stuff.
The Hodge one is different as he was not contracted and, under FA rules was a UFA that could walk to the club of his choice. Mal Michael didn’t have that option and also lied to Brisbane about wanting to retire.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
If you read my post closer you’ll work out that I’m not making any assertions about Boyd’s issues and definitely not suggesting that there’s a drug issue.

What I was implying is that now a club can sign up a player to a ridiculous contract and once the player is cooked, the player and club can come to an “understanding” that there’s mental health issues and the AFL will waiver the rest of the contract from the salary cap.

Unfortunately, mental health has been used as a shameless out for repeat drug offenders in the AFL’s drug policy, expect it to be used as a shameless out for clubs over reaching in their salary caps.

Enter Sydney and Buddy Franklin.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Dodgers, Redlegs
The Hodge one is different as he was not contracted and, under FA rules was a UFA that could walk to the club of his choice. Mal Michael didn’t have that option and also lied to Brisbane about wanting to retire.
But he didn't go as an UFA did he? Otherwise it might have affected the balancing thing for Free Agents in and out?

mistylake

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
In a comercial sense I believe you are technically correct.

But the reality is, it is now accepted truth the Power were formed in 1870. Them merging, well taking over the Magpies, makes it slightly more palatable. However they really are the Chinese MG to the real British MG of yesteryear.

Back when I was passionate about this I was a member of the Magpies attending a lot of games and key meetings. It was my SANFL club (I had family play there over the years) and seeing the Power bastardise their direct claim on the history of a truly proud club was annoying. Especially given the initial period of the Power's existence they made no such claims and changed their point of view in the early 2000s.

End of the day at least the history of that proud SANFL club will be celebrated. Because the AFL existance really has been a stench of failure since 2007. There are few highlights in the Power era and looking back at all the success the real Port Adelaide has had since 1870 will be pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Wasn’t there an Adelaide football club back at the start of footy now defunct.
Can we not resurrect by some sleight of hand from the abyss some kind of association and stamp 1860 on our backs?

mistylake

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
If you read my post closer you’ll work out that I’m not making any assertions about Boyd’s issues and definitely not suggesting that there’s a drug issue.

What I was implying is that now a club can sign up a player to a ridiculous contract and once the player is cooked, the player and club can come to an “understanding” that there’s mental health issues and the AFL will waiver the rest of the contract from the salary cap.

Unfortunately, mental health has been used as a shameless out for repeat drug offenders in the AFL’s drug policy, expect it to be used as a shameless out for clubs over reaching in their salary caps.

Enter Sydney and Buddy Franklin.
Do they need to supply a psychiatrists report on this “mental issue” or just say I’m all ****** up and that’s it?

AFL Club
Adelaide
AFL will waiver the rest of the contract from the salary cap.
They only waive the rest of the contract in situations where the player doesn't receive the payment. Boyd obviously just wants out of the AFL environment, and is happy to forgo his future earnings to retire with money still on the table.

The other end of the spectrum is Kurt Tippett. Who retired, but negotiated to still receive part/all of his future earnings. Sydney had to include all his earnings in the cap, and even keep him on their list for an extra year to spread out his payments over an additional year

ams4crows

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
They only waive the rest of the contract in situations where the player doesn't receive the payment. Boyd obviously just wants out of the AFL environment, and is happy to forgo his future earnings to retire with money still on the table.

The other end of the spectrum is Kurt Tippett. Who retired, but negotiated to still receive part/all of his future earnings. Sydney had to include all his earnings in the cap, and even keep him on their list for an extra year to spread out his payments over an additional year
Such a knob, screwed both clubs in the end! You know if we got the top 10 pick we deserved we would have nailed it.

Top Bottom