• Clarko and the Hawks should impose their own penalty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stratton should be suspended by the MRP

Votes: 50 89.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a comercial sense I believe you are technically correct.

But the reality is, it is now accepted truth the Power were formed in 1870. Them merging, well taking over the Magpies, makes it slightly more palatable. However they really are the Chinese MG to the real British MG of yesteryear.

Back when I was passionate about this I was a member of the Magpies attending a lot of games and key meetings. It was my SANFL club (I had family play there over the years) and seeing the Power bastardise their direct claim on the history of a truly proud club was annoying. Especially given the initial period of the Power's existence they made no such claims and changed their point of view in the early 2000s.

End of the day at least the history of that proud SANFL club will be celebrated. Because the AFL existance really has been a stench of failure since 2007. There are few highlights in the Power era and looking back at all the success the real Port Adelaide has had since 1870 will be pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Wasn’t there an Adelaide football club back at the start of footy now defunct.
Can we not resurrect by some sleight of hand from the abyss some kind of association and stamp 1860 on our backs?

If you read my post closer you’ll work out that I’m not making any assertions about Boyd’s issues and definitely not suggesting that there’s a drug issue.

What I was implying is that now a club can sign up a player to a ridiculous contract and once the player is cooked, the player and club can come to an “understanding” that there’s mental health issues and the AFL will waiver the rest of the contract from the salary cap.

Unfortunately, mental health has been used as a shameless out for repeat drug offenders in the AFL’s drug policy, expect it to be used as a shameless out for clubs over reaching in their salary caps.

Enter Sydney and Buddy Franklin.
Do they need to supply a psychiatrists report on this “mental issue” or just say I’m all ****ed up and that’s it?

AFL will waiver the rest of the contract from the salary cap.
They only waive the rest of the contract in situations where the player doesn't receive the payment. Boyd obviously just wants out of the AFL environment, and is happy to forgo his future earnings to retire with money still on the table.

The other end of the spectrum is Kurt Tippett. Who retired, but negotiated to still receive part/all of his future earnings. Sydney had to include all his earnings in the cap, and even keep him on their list for an extra year to spread out his payments over an additional year

They only waive the rest of the contract in situations where the player doesn't receive the payment. Boyd obviously just wants out of the AFL environment, and is happy to forgo his future earnings to retire with money still on the table.

The other end of the spectrum is Kurt Tippett. Who retired, but negotiated to still receive part/all of his future earnings. Sydney had to include all his earnings in the cap, and even keep him on their list for an extra year to spread out his payments over an additional year
Such a knob, screwed both clubs in the end! You know if we got the top 10 pick we deserved we would have nailed it.

Don't Sydney have to carry Buddys contract in the Salary Cap even he retires?

Or is that different if the AFL club resides within the Victorian border.

Attracted a player thought free agency as opposed to a trade. Big point in difference.

If you read my post closer you’ll work out that I’m not making any assertions about Boyd’s issues and definitely not suggesting that there’s a drug issue.

What I was implying is that now a club can sign up a player to a ridiculous contract and once the player is cooked, the player and club can come to an “understanding” that there’s mental health issues and the AFL will waiver the rest of the contract from the salary cap.

Unfortunately, mental health has been used as a shameless out for repeat drug offenders in the AFL’s drug policy, expect it to be used as a shameless out for clubs over reaching in their salary caps.

Enter Sydney and Buddy Franklin.
Sorry, didn’t mean it to come off as an attack or accusation that you were implying this. Was just putting the information into a post in conjunction with what you were saying.
No harm was meant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't Sydney have to carry Buddys contract in the Salary Cap even he retires?

Or is that different if the AFL club resides within the Victorian border.

With RFA the AFL really have to do that. Otherwise teams could, for example, offer $2mill pa for 15 years to make sure it can't be matched, then change it to 600k for 3 years as soon as they arrive. It is would absolutely happen (but probably not to that extent).

The agreed Daniel Wells pay cut at Collingwood would have been a much bigger deal if he wasn't unrestricted, and probably wouldn't have been able to happen.

Not even a little bit suprised that the Bulldogs are getting a free pass for this, technically they won a Premiership because of the deal.... Sydney haven't but they are being held to his contract alot tighter

Boyd’s contract would have finished while he was still in his peak footy years. Buddy’s finishes half way through his 30’s and was back ended. Vastly different circumstances. Bullies only problem was desperation a key forward and vastly overating where Boyd would get to as a player. His finals series got them a flag though.

Boyd’s contract would have finished while he was still in his peak footy years. Buddy’s finishes half way through his 30’s and was back ended. Vastly different circumstances. Bullies only problem was desperation a key forward and vastly overating where Boyd would get to as a player. His finals series got them a flag though.
I wonder how the Dogs would look at the situation.

He got them a flag, but how far does his deal put him back for the next one ??

With RFA the AFL really have to do that. Otherwise teams could, for example, offer $2mill pa for 15 years to make sure it can't be matched, then change it to 600k for 3 years as soon as they arrive. It is would absolutely happen (but probably not to that extent).

The agreed Daniel Wells pay cut at Collingwood would have been a much bigger deal if he wasn't unrestricted, and probably wouldn't have been able to happen.

They’ve said that there’ll be no more Luke Ball re-contracting scenarios allowed.

Wasn’t there an Adelaide football club back at the start of footy now defunct.
Can we not resurrect by some sleight of hand from the abyss some kind of association and stamp 1860 on our backs?

I noticed on wikipedia they recently were renamed to the "Old Adelaide Football Club" with reference to an old newspaper clipping that referred to them as " Old Adelaide" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Adelaide_Football_Club

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article245649255

It has to be the work of a Rucci type that is trying to distance the club from ours, their logo was AFC so Old Adelaide was likely a nickname not the real name, like "good old Collingwood"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back