Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Don't Sydney have to carry Buddys contract in the Salary Cap even he retires?

Or is that different if the AFL club resides within the Victorian border.
From memory the AFL specifically stipulated this with Buddy's contact. They were steaming that he didn't go to GWS. It's not a usual practice

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Tom Boyd has retired :eek: citing lack of passion after mental and physical heath issues.

Contract payments reduced for 2019 and completely cancelled for 2020 and 2021
At least he'll always have grand final day but what a shame his life & career has nosedived as it has. From being a No 1 pick and presumably on top of the world to hating the game within a few years

Maybe we should trade out the #1 pick after all?

Also Bulldogs... do you need a forward/ruck?.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Don't Sydney have to carry Buddys contract in the Salary Cap even he retires?

Or is that different if the AFL club resides within the Victorian border.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Apparently it's to do with acquiring a player through trade, rather than free agency like Buddy was.

That's also if you believe the AFL will count Buddy's contract on the Swans cap after he retires, which I don't think they'll do, even though they said otherwise. Swans will cry they can't compete having $2 million tied up in a retired player and the AFL will let them off the hook.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
At least he'll always have grand final day but what a shame his life & career has nosedived as it has. From being a No 1 pick and presumably on top of the world to hating the game within a few years

Jenkins would do well at the Kennel

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Tom Boyd has retired :eek: citing lack of passion after mental and physical heath issues.

Contract payments reduced for 2019 and completely cancelled for 2020 and 2021
The precedent has now been set, watch the flood gates open on this angle just as it did with the three strikes drug policy.

Other than the GF, he barely looked AFL standard in any game he played in. He had a huge body but was slow and poorly skilled. Similar to Sellar and Patty McCartin.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Have a very close family friend that is tight with Tom Boyd. The mental illness aspect is 100% legitimate no drugs whatsoever involved.

I don't think he was inferring there were drug issues with Boyd.

The issue is being able to tear up a contract due to any sort of illness/injury. This allows Sydney to get out of the Buddy deal.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't think he was inferring there were drug issues with Boyd.

The issue is being able to tear up a contract due to any sort of illness/injury. This allows Sydney to get out of the Buddy deal.
How about us with Jenkins?

Plays out the rest of the season in the SANFL, mental health issues set in due to this and he has a lack of desire to continue his career. This is how such a precedent can be exploited.

Of course Jenkins, and Buddy, would most likely have to forgo any future years payments.

Tippett on the other hand wants as much of his future contract as he can get, and the Swans are carrying him on their list and cap space.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
So the club gets to remove his salary from their cap, what is then stopping the player "recovering" and making a come back ala Mal Michael.

Doggies get the guy of their books, don't need to trade him for a salary cap dump and he gets rookie listed at another club.

Well done AFL.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yeah it looks as if you dont get punished for an extremely risky bit of business. Putting aside the mental health issues, this is exactly why these sorts of deals should be banned

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
So the club gets to remove his salary from their cap, what is then stopping the player "recovering" and making a come back ala Mal Michael.

Doggies get the guy of their books, don't need to trade him for a salary cap dump and he gets rookie listed at another club.

Well done AFL.
Good question. Hodge retired and kept playing as a more recent example.

The AFL need a rule for this stuff.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good question. Hodge retired and kept playing as a more recent example.

The AFL need a rule for this stuff.
The Hodge one is different as he was not contracted and, under FA rules was a UFA that could walk to the club of his choice. Mal Michael didn’t have that option and also lied to Brisbane about wanting to retire.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Have a very close family friend that is tight with Tom Boyd. The mental illness aspect is 100% legitimate no drugs whatsoever involved.
If you read my post closer you’ll work out that I’m not making any assertions about Boyd’s issues and definitely not suggesting that there’s a drug issue.

What I was implying is that now a club can sign up a player to a ridiculous contract and once the player is cooked, the player and club can come to an “understanding” that there’s mental health issues and the AFL will waiver the rest of the contract from the salary cap.

Unfortunately, mental health has been used as a shameless out for repeat drug offenders in the AFL’s drug policy, expect it to be used as a shameless out for clubs over reaching in their salary caps.

Enter Sydney and Buddy Franklin.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Did I just see Tom Boyd retirement on my tv ticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back