Opinion 2019 Non Crows - Watts love got to do with it? #pick1herewecome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the Info I posted is on the ASIC web page. Under a limited grantee and being a large company the Clubs financial have to be available to the members. Either by the Club or I believe you can get a copy thru ASIC but it cost you.

Also This info is from the 2017 financial report. which in past years does not get signed of by the club until Feb,
The Financial statements are Tier 2 general purpose consolidated finical statements, which also has a reduced disclosure section,
They also mention that it is the consolidated financial statements of the Adelaide Football Club Limited and it controlled entities, as at the period end, (Oct 31)
and that these control entities include AFC eSport Pty Ltd and AFC eSport Trust.
So based on last years report I expect to see the eSport and there Media company reported in this year's financials, but do not expect to see much from the Bite as their financial situation would not be completed.

Look I am not a Financial person all I do is read the report every year front to back and back to front. and contact the finance guru if I have any problems or questions I want to answer. All this info is available on the Club website and on ASIC website for anyone willing to waste there time and look.
One thing I need to ask how many people actually read the financial and directors report supplied by the Club,

Not directed at you but I am surprised that not too many have noticed the eSport reference and some of the details in the report, it looks like people skim and don't read the details and like most reports the devil in the details. the report last year was a good 30 pages and as always has a sign of from a sign of from KPMG.

Just so others can see the Crows financial report is not a 1-page doc he is a link.
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AdelaideCrows/PDFs/FINC0019_2017_Financial_Report.pdf
Page four of that document.

7c594baba738e8a63fa2cbe34adb21a9.jpg

The question is whether we can get access to the individual reports from.each of the entities that comprise the consolidated report in order to see the contributions (positive or negative) from Legacey and Bite.

I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was just reading about Wanganeen saying he had nothing but his house after 16 years of AFL footy and squandering most of his earnings.

He is looking to head up an "AFLPA type" association to assist Aboriginal players.

I have no issue with this at all. As I dont have any issue with the broader AFLPA assisting players in financial education.

However. These guys all employ managers. I would have thought a key service from these managers was player (ie the clients who pay them to "manage" them) financial wellbeing education and assistance.

Surely this would involve protecting their clients from poor investments and general wasting of money.

You would think wealth protection would be a big part of these managers role?

Looking at the websites of some of the player managers they do offer a variety of investment services. I imagine some players don't bother or find alternative financial planning services. I cannot imagine this would have been the norm when Wanganeen was playing though. Probably a considerable increase in players incomes since Wanganeen retired.
In 1994 or whatever Carey was being paid $1million per season
In 1999 Kouta was being paid over $1m per season
In 1996 Lockett was offered over a million per season to join Collingwood (he didn’t)

Don’t tell me Wanganeed played in an era of lower player payments, he played in an era of rampant salary cap cheating, and at club found guilty 2 or 3 times for salary cap cheating in the 1990’s

Don’t tell me he earned less than players of today
He also (rumoured) got a big payday to shift to Port.

Do I think some managers are manipulating their players and associations to increase their own earnings? Yes I do

Do I think players get good advice and ignore it? Yes I do

Sure there are players struggling but its mostly self inflicted.

gain

The question is whether we can get access to the individual reports from.each of the entities that comprise the consolidated report in order to see the contributions (positive or negative) from Legacey and Bite.

I doubt it.

My prediction is we will not see much from the Bite as they are halfway through there season so going on the past we will only see a sub-note.
However, this year will be the first full year of 100% ownership of eSport both the Trust and Pty Ltd entities, so I will expect there should be no reason not to show the positive or negative effects.
Don't know the legal side but believe Legacy was a private company in 2017 until the Crows brought them making it a problem reporting the financials for that year.
and Bite was owned by Baseball Australia in 2018 until the Crows gained control and even then I don't know if we are just the management group running the Bite, so their financials would not be fully available to AFC members.

My concern is the Club /AFC eSport has enlarged/increase the player rosters and number of teams in 2018 by rough look close to 30%. And how much did that cost and is eSport still cost neutral, cost negative l or cost Positive
That what I want to find out, not rumours or hearsay but facts.

If not first port of call will be Jamo. who is our voted rep plus he sits on the financial and audit team? Failing that we have a vote this year for a Club member position on the board, to replace Mark Ricciuto who I believe has been made a non-elect member opening up the spot for a club member after March
Chapman mentions that they would like a grassroots supporter and that nobody runs against the Roo hence the reason for making him a non-elect board member opening the position up to others. Time will tell if this comes to pass.

There are not too many professions outside of sport that allow you to retire comfortably after only 10 years of working.

Why the big boohoo that some footy players have to work more than 10 years of their adult life?

Most of us* work for 40+ years and many have to change careers in that time.

*Obviously doesn't apply to Powah supporters.

There are not too many professions outside of sport that allow you to retire comfortably after only 10 years of working.

Why the big boohoo that some footy players have to work more than 10 years of their adult life?

Most of us* work for 40+ years and many have to change careers in that time.

*Obviously doesn't apply to Powah supporters.
Exactly the argument about missing the 10 years to work your way up the career chain these days when many of us will change jobs a number of times in our lives these days.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

7c594baba738e8a63fa2cbe34adb21a9.jpg

I doubt it.

The financials are based on the consolidated numbers, and will also report on the parent entity. By the process of elimination you’ll be able to see what is going on with the subsidiary.

from the australian (behind a paywall but not hard to get around) https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ar...s/news-story/7b5e6816f58d370dcf42e106cc6edbf4 an article about several new cricketing books.

1 word change and this paragraph from the article looks just right.
They have brought to cricket AFL a raft of practices and attitudes that have blighted the Western world for a generation: high, “incentive”-based pay for those in the inner circle; the proliferation of sham jobs (marketing, HR, PR and the like); indifference towards ordinary workers and customers; obsessive use of jargon and other forms of obfuscation and dishonesty; over-reliance on “data”, much of it phony or meaningless; periodic “reviews” that reach predetermined conclusions. And, above all, disdain for tradition, independent thought and genuine expertise.

However. These guys all employ managers. I would have thought a key service from these managers was player (ie the clients who pay them to "manage" them) financial wellbeing education and assistance.

Surely this would involve protecting their clients from poor investments and general wasting of money.

Umm.... On balance, no - or at least, not necessarily. I agree that a good manager will take an interest in their client's wellbeing in all areas, including financial. Just how formal that relationship / responsibility should be, is another matter. And how effective it might be, in the face of a young man with lots of money and no interest in the future, and/or no family background that imbues that, is another matter. But yes, I agree that I'd give more credits to a manager who at least counselled his young clients over a beer, than to one who simply takes the commission and runs back to his office.

Not starting something here but why specifically aboriginal ?

Should it matter ? Shouldn’t it be everyone ?

As is the case so often with these things, there's a very fuzzy line between acknowledging particular backgrounds / upbringing / influences that particular groups may have, and the more patronising (IMO) view that "needs help because indigenous".

End of the day, AFL footballers (or many of them, anyway) are in a rather unique situation compared to others of their age group. High incomes combined with low age, and the consequent financial naivety / lack of care for the future = potential problem.

I don't know how much it is someone else's responsibility, though.

I edit mine to 4:3 and it seems to size ok

Edit save then post as file
Well that's interesting - my phone doesn't seem to offer an edit/resize feature (you can crop, but not specifically change the size of the overall image), but the above image was 3.7MB and it uploaded OK. I'm sure in the (distant, I admit) past that was too large, but maybe BF has changed. Anyway, all good, thanks!

Edit: But the above image is only 209K; looks like it was automatically resized when it was uploaded to BF. Times really have changed/improved!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Technical question: How do people post photos from their phone on Bigfooty? I've tried in the past but the image is/was too big for Bigfooty's upload limit.
I use Tapatalk. There is an add photo feature click and add.

Apparently BF has changed its format? I have not noticed any changes with Tapatalk.

I use Tapatalk. There is an add photo feature click and add
I've never used the app on my phone, just the regular BF interface. And the regular BF interface wouldn't allow uploads beyond a certain size limit.

But to be fair that was a LONG time ago, it looks like somewhere along the way the BF mobile interface got smart.

The clubs should offer financial advice. They have the money to provide good advisors and have no vested interest. Maybe they already do?

Most people are terrible with their money especially young people. Even when offered advice a lot of them probably wouldn't take it or would perhaps not apply it correctly.

I once had a chat with Gary Buckenara who told me a similar story. Apparently, there were a lot of sharks and schemes around the place. Also, players weren't making anywhere near the coin that they are now.
What was that super fuel additive one that Carey, Roo, Goodwin and all those blokes fell for? I think those blokes were 6 figures deep each into that crap.

The clubs should offer financial advice. They have the money to provide good advisors and have no vested interest. Maybe they already do?

Most people are terrible with their money especially young people. Even when offered advice a lot of them probably wouldn't take it or would perhaps not apply it correctly.
I believe a lot of the clubs work with players on making sure they have post-career options lined up. They had a thing on the Crow show once about the players at the Crows who were doing part-time studying on their days off and such.

I believe a lot of the clubs work with players on making sure they have post-career options lined up. They had a thing on the Crow show once about the players at the Crows who were doing part-time studying on their days off and such.
I think it’s mandatory that they have something else, usually study, to do in their off time.

I was just reading about Wanganeen saying he had nothing but his house after 16 years of AFL footy and squandering most of his earnings.

He is looking to head up an "AFLPA type" association to assist Aboriginal players.

I have no issue with this at all. As I dont have any issue with the broader AFLPA assisting players in financial education.

How many 18/19/20+ year olds are going to listen to an adult?

Firepower!!
Was a huge con job. My cousin's husband was a business partner of Carey & tried to talk my family to invest in the scheme. Told my Dad & brother it sounded too good to be true. Cost my cousin heaps bailing her husband out.

Just read through the quackery Janus has come up with as to why it is good to lose Wingard and Polec. Something to do with neither guys having HSVs and the guys that are committed to the club all have high powered HSVs.

Not Renault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back