Opinion 2019 Non Crows - Watts love got to do with it? #pick1herewecome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read his latest postings, but I have always had the impression that LR is disgruntled because he did all the initial leg work and then Kochie waltzed in, takes over and it became a don't call us we'll call you type situation.

It’s all about LR

And it hilarious

The more I try to read it the more my brain says “ the Bay makes more sense than this clap trap “

Wasn’t sauce made as a way of preserving fruit
Same as jam ?

Nup
Cupboard and take your chances
I love living on the edge of cream two weeks over the best by date !

Wasn’t sauce made as a way of preserving fruit
Same as jam ?

Nup
Cupboard and take your chances
I love living on the edge of cream two weeks over the best by date !

I have some Ski vanilla yoghurt still in the fridge which is 3 weeks past the use-by date. Still tastes great.

The AFL not being taxed is as big of a rort as the church not getting taxed....

Or BHP...
Or Gina Rinehart ...

But Centrelink will hound people to their suicide over a couple thousand dollars

The whole system is ******

If the AFL paid tax, how much money do you think they’d be able to plough into junior & grassroots development?

The AFL not being taxed is as big of a rort as the church not getting taxed....

Or BHP...
Or Gina Rinehart ...

But Centrelink will hound people to their suicide over a couple thousand dollars

The whole system is ******

No it isn't. It's not perfect by any means, but don't get all entitled on us.

It's been a terrible 24 hours for celebrity deaths - Keith Flint, Luke Perry and now King Kong Bundy.

I hope no AFL players get this curse
Commiserations to their loved ones etc etc but I can't think of 3 more inconsequential celebrities dying on the same day. Now if it was Killer Kowalski or Skull Murphy that would be news.

Won't somebody think of the children!

The reality is it underfunded either way as the AFL don't see the value in something that's not turning a buck for them.

It’s just maths. They’re a community organisation so they have to put money into the community

If you treat them as a corporation then you’ll get diddly because they won’t want to, and won’t have the money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL paid tax, how much money do you think they’d be able to plough into junior & grassroots development?

Well, it's all a matter of priorities, isn't it?

If they had to make cuts, they could stop giving handouts to struggling clubs like the Saints and Norf

Or cut down on their executive pay and bonuses as reported today

They could plough exactly the same into junior & grassroots development if they wanted

Probably a similar amount as their accountants would use it as a write off so they can bring their tax bill down to $0. End result is the same they just save some money on accounting.

It’s just maths. They’re a community organisation so they have to put money into the community

If you treat them as a corporation then you’ll get diddly because they won’t want to, and won’t have the money
Either way, you've got an organisation that had $650m in revenue in 2017, yet only put $44m to game development grants (which I'm assuming is where their funding for grass roots footy and junior development gets listed). So a paltry 6.7% of revenue goes to developing the game at the grass roots level.

Agree with Sanders, it's an interesting story, particularly given Aussie Rules is pretty poor at telling its stories from within club walls relative to other sports.

There's a particular narrative style which if you don't like you'll find problematic, but I wouldn't take too much criticism from LR's self-praise. It's both his story which he can write as he pleases, and similarly, he's not giving false pretensions of modesty. He seems perfectly aware of the perspectives within the story.

Also, to an extent shows some of the problem has been for PAFC from the start getting everyone on the same page strategically and objective wise regarding the whole project.

You remember from the days where it was announced that some had in their heads "next Man U/New York Yankees" etc whereas reading this it would seem far more complicated. The actual objectives have never really been clearly broadcast by Port, potentially because internally there is disagreement about the objectives.

To this point I see it like this:

By pure serendipity he was recently the HKFC historian, which gave him access to everyone and built personal relationships. That put him in a unique position to make introductions and influence people when PAFC came knocking. No one could ordinarily have done that or been in that position

This gave them a solid foundation and credible base

The Chinese state energy corps were already heavily invested in SA, and are expected to have heavy community involvement. In fact sometimes they have money but no relationships or infrastructure to be able to do this; so if relationships were built in the right way, with the right communication strategy, they might be amenable to lucrative partnerships. From there their ‘partner’ would start to become part of the fabric, and further opportunities would spring

As it has happens LR and some cronies were both mad PAFC supporters, and very well positioned in the energy sector with contacts and influence between SA energy and the Chinese state investors in SA energy.

By showing what a great community partner they were with the PAFC that would open up greater investment opportunities in Australia; and by being a great community partner with PAFC, it creates credibility and a springboard for PAFC in HK and China

The people and their particular skills, influence and contacts where random dumb luck, but equally lightning does sometimes strike.

LR seems to be angry that Koch, Cardini, and KT couldn’t see the big picture and opportunity that luck and fate had presented them

I never got what or how it could work until he started talking about the relationship aspects.

All the air is out of the balloon now, can’t see how that loss of momentum can easily be replaced

Either way, you've got an organisation that had $650m in revenue in 2017, yet only put $44m to game development grants (which I'm assuming is where their funding for grass roots footy and junior development gets listed). So a paltry 6.7% of revenue goes to developing the game at the grass roots level.

Starbucks
Amazon
AFL
The whole world

Do you know what they have in common? Neither is taxed on revenue

Well, it's all a matter of priorities, isn't it?

If they had to make cuts, they could stop giving handouts to struggling clubs like the Saints and Norf

Or cut down on their executive pay and bonuses as reported today

They could plough exactly the same into junior & grassroots development if they wanted

If they’re being treated as a corporate why should they want to?

I’d imagine executive pay would go through the roof if they were treated commercially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back