2019 non-freo nonchalance (aka discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason being off the ground at the time of the hit is a factor is because it increases the risk of injury, and possibly serious injury. To minimize the chance of such injury, any time this sort of incident occurs there should be a suspension. You increase the risk of someone getting injured if you judge on how hard the hit was or how much the other player was hurt.
There is much less chance of anyone getting badly hurt in the future if there is a blanket rule which penalises this sort of hit, regardless of severity of the hit.

But I'm convinced Ablett was only off the ground because Shiel had just disposed of the ball over his head. It would be a normal instinctive reaction for you to jump up to put pressure on that disposal. If Shiel's disposal was in a different direction, I would be thinking differently ... either way, the impact was very low and more careless than intentional. You don't put your hand out to cushion the person before hitting them with the forearm if you intentionally went to hurt them.
(PS: I thought Fyfe was unlucky to get the week, but I think Ablett's was even less worthy for a week).

If anybody is interested, there's a relatively new youtube channel called "Football Park TV" that is worth a laugh. Has some short animated clips including a couple that make fun of West Coast. (But warning, it may offend some, hence I haven't provided a link what with the new BF censorship rules).

Jarryd Roughead dropped. Cold. Surely they could have fibbed a bit and said calf, virus or even ‘managed’?

Has there been a bigger media overreaction to a young player than there was this week with Naughton?

Don’t get me wrong, kids looking very good, but wowee some of the comparisons and blowups have been ridiculous

Feather duster against us and a rooster against a depleted Tigers defense. The kid can play but the hyperbole is set on maximum in Melbourne.

I just had a look at Naughton’s goals for the year. He started well with three in round one but then it was either nothing or just a goal for every game until last weekend.

Has there been a bigger media overreaction to a young player than there was this week with Naughton?

Don’t get me wrong, kids looking very good, but wowee some of the comparisons and blowups have been ridiculous

Nah, it's expected. Vics always rave about vics. Ryan this year is doing what he did last year, just takes them a while to figure it out when they're outter-state. If you play for a victorian team, you just need to have a good season to get an AA nom (and even in the team sometimes), if you're from a non-vic state you need to have 2-3 consistently good years. Ditto with recognition of young guns. Brayshaw and Cerra get a bit of love because they were top picks from vic, even Powell-Pepper in his first year took a while to get noticed. Whereas McCluggage for Bris was noticed early on because he was from vic.

They always say it's a fairly distributed and covered sport, but that is an absolute fallacy. Naughton will be a gun, and ranting about his performance is deserved, but don't be shocked if Switta kicks 5 or Valente gets 20 on debut and nothing is said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25025AA1-F9D6-458E-A1E8-36B402139E9C.png

I’m a huge story, PerthNow has discovered that Nic Nat is, shock horror, being tackled all the way TO THE GROUND at training.

It’s believed that at times he has had to walk all the way to the change rooms with grass burn on his knees for medical treatment.

I don’t know how he does it.

PerthNow, truly leading edge hard hitting journalism.

View attachment 671145

I’m a huge story, PerthNow has discovered that Nic Nat is, shock horror, being tackled all the way TO THE GROUND at training.

It’s believed that at times he has had to walk all the way to the change rooms with grass burn on his knees for medical treatment.

I don’t know how he does it.

PerthNow, truly leading edge hard hitting journalism.
Can somebody get me a bucket.....
Perth Now doesn't even pretend that they are an advertising department for the yellow scum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back