NFL 2019 - Off-Season Coaching and GM News

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
A Jets guy I follow flat as pancake, feel sorry for him, looks like he's nearly about to cry... :(

@ 2:55 when he's going thru the division and saying the positives for the Jets "Miami's a complete mess......" then it hits him like a ton of bricks

dare say he would have cried when he found Loggains will more than likely be the OC

Last edited:

The Vikings are interviewing Joe Philbin (ex Packers OC) for their vacant OL Coaching position.

Interviewing Philbin begs the questions of whether or not they'd interview Jim Bob Cooter for the QB Coaching position

I find it quite surprising that some of these teams formally interview a guy only once before making a decision. Packers interviewed 10 guys once by just 2-3 staff.

Where I work people appointed in higher positions would interview number of times with various people.

I find it quite surprising that some of these teams formally interview a guy only once before making a decision. Packers interviewed 10 guys once by just 2-3 staff.

Where I work people appointed in higher positions would interview number of times with various people.

I went through 2 interviews and psychometric testing for my current role and i can ensure you i am not getting the $$$ these blokes are.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Zac Taylor emerges as favorite for Bengals job

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 10, 2019, 6:51 PM EST

ap_19004022516690-e1547164242835.jpg

AP

The Bengals appear ready to choose Zac Taylor as their next head coach.

Taylor, the Rams’ quarterbacks coach, is the Bengals’ choice, according to multiple reports.

Officially, the Bengals cannot hire Taylor until the Rams’ postseason is over. As the Colts found out last year when they were spurned at the last minute by Josh McDaniels, an assistant coach who works for another team can’t be hired until his team is done playing, and a verbal agreement is unenforceable.

But from all indications, Taylor is the man. A 35-year-old former Nebraska quarterback, Taylor will draw immediate comparisons to his boss, Rams head coach Sean McVay, because of his age and his offensive approach. McVay is such a hot coach that several teams have attempted to hire the “next Sean McVay” this year.

Taylor has previously worked as the Rams’ wide receivers coach, the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and the offensive coordinator at the University of Cincinnati.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not as bad as it sounds...

On January 30, 2012, Taylor was named assistant quarterbacks coach for the NFL's Miami Dolphins. He was previously an assistant coach at Texas A&M, serving under former head coach Mike Sherman, his father-in-law.[6][7] On November 30, 2015, he was promoted to the team's interim offensive coordinator, after the firing of the previous offensive coordinator, Bill Lazor. During the five games Taylor served as OC, the Dolphins went 2-3 and averaged 17 points per game,[8] a slight regress from their per-game average under Lazor, though Interim Coach Dan Campbell still had positive things to say of Taylor's performance.[9]

In January 2016, Taylor was hired by Cincinnati Bearcats head coach Tommy Tuberville to be the Bearcats' offensive coordinator. According to Taylor, Jim Turner, who had been an offensive line coach for the Dolphins, was the one who connected him with Tuberville.[10] Taylor was seen as a "rising star in the coaching ranks" by the Bearcats, thanks to his experience in the NFL and his job developing Miami Dolphins Quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Under Taylor's mentoring, Tannehill had set many team records, including being the only Miami QB to throw for 3,000 yards in four straight seasons and being only the second Miami QB with multiple 3,000-yard seasons, as well as totaling the third-most passing yards for a QB in his first four seasons in NFL history, with 15,460.[11]

----------------

Freddie Kitchens has like 12 years of being a TEs/RBs coach, and then all of a sudden in ONE year, he went from that to OC to HC.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm liking the AFC North as a whole. Division of death. I reckon the Bengals will only get better. They also have a very smart GM in Duke Tobin. The Steelers are always strong and have a good GM. Bengals of course just as strong and perennially smart in the FO. And now the Browns have finally gotten by their bad days, got their QB, promising HC, and smart GM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok, so if Taylor is going to Cincinnati, then this news about Bieniemy must be Dolphins, and not Bengals....

------------

The great Cincinnati mystery could end in Eric Bieniemy

Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2019, 3:03 PM EST

GettyImages-870564124-e1547150511436.jpg

Getty Images

The first puff of smoke has emerged from Cincinnati, in the form of multiple assistant coaches being relieved of their duties. This move implies plenty, and it invites plenty more speculation.

Here’s what folks around the league definitely believe: (1) the Bengals know who they want; (2) the person they want isn’t available to be hired yet (because his team is still playing); (3) the person they want has preliminarily indicated he wants the job; and (4) the person they want has indicated that he won’t want those assistant coaches to stick around.

There’s nothing else tangible at this point, although there’s an emerging belief that 81-year-old owner Mike Brown has delegated much of the decision-making on this next hire to his daughter, Katie Blackburn, and her husband, Troy. That’s sparking speculation that they indeed have gone out of the building for a new coach, that it likely will be an offensive-minded coach (the opposite of Marvin Lewis), and that it very well could be the next guy from a line of offensive coordinators who have become successful head coaches: Eric Bieniemy of the Chiefs.

Bieniemy addressed his situation with reporters on Wednesday.

“I’d like to thank coach [Andy] Reid for really trusting me and putting me in this situation to have this opportunity,” Bieniemy said. “Also, grateful that Clark [Hunt] and Mark [Donovan] would agree to allow me to be the coordinator. I will say this, I’ve said this to a few people that I’ve had the opportunity to speak to. Everyone should be blessed and fortunate to have that opportunity. It gives you the opportunity to see things from a different perspective, but on top of that it’s one of those things that, ‘Hey, you know what, I’ve been working a lot of years to be put in this situation to have this opportunity.’ But that was last week, this is now. Now, it’s on to the Colts.”

Watch the video of Bieniemy’s comments, which as noted by Joe Goodberry of TheAthletic.com include a smile that potentially gives away Bieniemy’s knowledge that he’s in the process of parlaying his opportunity to be the Kansas City offensive coordinator into a head-coaching job of his own.

The Bengals could do a lot worse (and, by considering Hue Jackson for the job, they almost did). Chiefs players have raved about Bieniemy, who succeeded Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson. At a time when Bengals fans aren’t raving about anything relating to their team, Bieniemy could be the key to turning things around.

A team needs to bite the bullet and hire the next defensive genius. Somebody needs to stop them and odds are that all these whiz bang offensive minds won't all pan out as HC.

Kris Richard seems to be the main defensive name that isn't a retread like Joseph. LOB + getting the Dallas D into upper echelons. But all the HC spots are filling up before he can even be interviewed it seems

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jets fcked up is what it is.
you can already tell which teams are gonna suck next year.
raiders, redskins, bengals, jets...because there's s**t going on behind the scenes, retread coaches, etc.
Really going out on a limb there bro... really? Raiders, Redskins, Bengals and Jets are going to be s**t? You could say that any year for the last 20 years and probably be right

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
New Packers coach Matt LaFleur confirmed Mike Pettine will stay on as the team's defensive coordinator.

LaFleur reportedly wanted to keep Pettine even while he was being interviewed for the head-coaching job. Pettine's defensive unit started strong out the gates due in part to Josh Jackson's and Jaire Alexander's out-of-nowhere production, but the secondary soon fell off as all were in and out of the lineup with injuries to finish the year. Both young corners should start alongside Kevin King in nickel packages in 2019, ensuring stout shutdown coverage if Green Bay can piece together a healthy and impactful defensive line.

Source: Adam Schein on Twitter

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Gary Kubiak won't be the Broncos' offensive coordinator.

The Broncos and Kubiak went different directions a mere 24 hours after the two sides agreed he would be calling offensive plays. Kubiak reportedly had different ideas on staffing and offensive philosophies, which led him to opt out of his new role entirely. Denver had previously blocked teams from interviewing Kubiak, so he'll likely have interested suitors as early as this weekend.

Related: Broncos

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back