NFL 2019 - Off-Season Coaching and GM News

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos are hoping to add former Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak to their coaching staff.

Munchak was previously a finalist for Denver's head-coaching job. That role went to former Bears DC Vic Fangio, though the Broncos came away impressed with Munchak during the interview process and are hoping he'll accept another position on Denver's coaching staff. He could be in play as the team's offensive coordinator now that Gary Kubiak and the Broncos appear to be going separate ways. Munchak's contract with the Steelers is up, allowing him to explore other opportunities.

Related: Broncos

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Gary Kubiak won't be the Broncos' offensive coordinator.

The Broncos and Kubiak went different directions a mere 24 hours after the two sides agreed he would be calling offensive plays. Kubiak reportedly had different ideas on staffing and offensive philosophies, which led him to opt out of his new role entirely. Denver had previously blocked teams from interviewing Kubiak, so he'll likely have interested suitors as early as this weekend.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Wtf is going on at Denver? Kubes and Elway have known each other for years. They come to agreement AND then find differing offensive philosophies?? What?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos were denied permission to interview 49ers QB coach Rich Scangarello for their offensive coordinator vacancy.

This isn't a huge surprise given Scangarello's strong ties to Kyle Shanahan. It's another setback for the Broncos after parting ways with Gary Kubiak. Scangarello will spend at least another year under Shanahan but he's a name to file away for next offseason.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns are working on a deal to hire ex-Cardinals coach Steve Wilks as their defensive coordinator.

Wilks had a failed one-year stint in Arizona, but this is a strong addition to Freddie Kitchens's staff. It's not a terrible fallback for Wilks, who should have a head coach of the defense role. The Browns will keep their 4-3 system under Wilks, but his zone schemes should improve a Cleveland seconday that allowed the eighth-most yards in the league in 2018.

Related: Browns

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bengals “terrified” they’ll get in trouble over plan to hire Zac Taylor

Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2019, 12:11 PM EST

GettyImages-1067715148-e1547226614654.jpg

Getty Images

Word emerged on Thursday that the Bengals plan to hire Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor when the L.A. season ends. And the Bengals will now be sweating bullets until the L.A. season ends.

Per a league source, the Bengals currently are “terrified” that the league will investigate whether they violated the constantly-violated rules regarding the making of offers to head-coaching candidates before offers can be made.

That’s how the league often enforces the rules. Sure, plenty of teams break the rules. But that never stops the league from investigating whether one specific team in one specific situation broke the rule, imposing discipline on that specific team for breaking the rule, and ignoring the widely-known reality that others have routinely broken the rules.

Last year, everyone knew that the Colts had offered the head-coaching job to Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and that McDaniels had accepted. But it couldn’t be official or formal until the Patriots’ season ended, and then the Patriots talked McDaniels (who already was having misgivings) out of going.

The thinking is that other candidates were informed that Taylor is the choice, and that Taylor has informed colleagues that he is the choice. If that’s true, the line may have been crossed, and the electronic paper trial would easily prove it.

So, yes, the Bengals are now worried that the league will come down on them. Even though the league has always looked the other way regarding every instance where that rule was being violated — and where everyone knew it.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really going out on a limb there bro... really? Raiders, Redskins, Bengals and Jets are going to be s**t? You could say that any year for the last 20 years and probably be right
Jets i take back, bengals i take back
raiders and redskins....probably still suck
cardinals wont suck
broncos WILL suck
jaguars might suck
patriots might suck
dolphins wont suck...gase/williams is a good combo
giants possibly need another year of sucking
lions probably suck
vikings probably suck
buccaneers wont suck at all

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
cardinals wont suck
broncos WILL suck
jaguars might suck
patriots might suck
lions probably suck
vikings probably suck
jets = meh
bengals = last place
cardinals = probably last place
broncos = WC team
jaguars = second last or last place
dolphins = last place (btw Gase isn't with the Dolphins anymore)
giants = relatively competitive
lions = relatively competitive
vikings = potentially first place
buccaneers = relatively competitive

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Wtf is going on at Denver? Kubes and Elway have known each other for years. They come to agreement AND then find differing offensive philosophies?? What?
Kubiak might of just asked Elway to find a QB who isnt s**t for once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a bad hire there

I think its a very good hire.

Bears doing a lot right at the moment and are on an upward trajectory IMO.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
what happened to Hue going to the Bengals?

Did something go wrong or was that report to satisfy the Rooney Rule?
The Bengals interviewed all of their senior coaches so its was only natural that Hue got an interview. I think a lot of the speculation stemmed from the fact that Paul Brown is notoriously cheap, Hue's held in pretty high regard in the organisation (he's always been a pretty good QB coach and OC for the Bengals) and that report that Marvin Lewis "endorsed" him (although I wouldn't be surprised if that was Marvin just being nice to a friend).

I don't think there was actually any evidence that it was definitely going to happen

didnt the dolphins get the memo that you dont hire from the belichick tree?

hope they hire bieniemy instead.
Me too - just to hear Berman trot out "Sleeping with" Bieniemy one more time.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Simms probably my favourite analyst going around.

Don't 100% agree with him here but I reckon Gase gets a bad wrap. They had a pretty poor roster in Miami and he had them playing competitively

Really his results have been underrated his whole career. Even in Denver his work was not given the credit it deserved

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns are working on a deal to hire ex-Cardinals coach Steve Wilks as their defensive coordinator.

Wilks had a failed one-year stint in Arizona, but this is a strong addition to Freddie Kitchens's staff. It's not a terrible fallback for Wilks, who should have a head coach of the defense role. The Browns will keep their 4-3 system under Wilks, but his zone schemes should improve a Cleveland seconday that allowed the eighth-most yards in the league in 2018.

Related: Browns

Would be a great hire for the Browns, much like Gus Bradley, he may not be much chop as a HC (one year is long enough to find out right Arizona?) but Wilks is an excellent DC.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
cardinals wont suck
broncos WILL suck
jaguars might suck
patriots might suck
lions probably suck
vikings probably suck

Gase/Williams is good combo? really?

Im sure Gregg will love Adam micro managing his defence. Gase likes hand puppet co's, why do you think he brought Loggains with him? Sure wasn't because he's a great play caller, he's a control freak. Matt Burke was perfect for Gase, a scape goat for him to hide behind when they weren't playing well. Williams won't lay down so easily though ;)

Can potentially see s**t blowing up really quick. Not a good match at all IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back