NFL 2019 - Off-Season Coaching and GM News

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
Simms probably my favourite analyst going around.

Don't 100% agree with him here but I reckon Gase gets a bad wrap. They had a pretty poor roster in Miami and he had them playing competitively

Really his results have been underrated his whole career. Even in Denver his work was not given the credit it deserved

They had a pretty poor roster because of him tho, he traded out all of the talent! lol.

Would be a great hire for the Browns, much like Gus Bradley, he may not be much chop as a HC (one year is long enough to find out right Arizona?) but Wilks is an excellent DC.

Is he an excellent Dc?
I guess one year is long enough to find out right?!?

Vance Joseph to be DC of the Cards. Yet another guy who runs a 4-3 on a team full of 3-4 personnel

And I feel sorry for Rosen (or whoever is the QB next season). Luckily for their sake Kingsbury is calling the plays

He will run the 3-4 with us.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why was Eric Bieniemy passed over this year?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2019, 11:59 AM EST

GettyImages-1038652480-e1547312378931.jpg

Getty Images

With six jobs filled and two more tentatively earmarked for folks other than Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, why didn’t Bieniemy get one of the eight open spots in the current cycle?

A strong argument could be made for Bieniemy. He’s in the spot that has produced Eagles coach Doug Pederson and Bears coach Matt Nagy, both of whom have quickly become great head coaches. The Chiefs offense found a higher level this year, in Bieniemy’s first season as the O.C.

I think the biggest difference is the mentality,” Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce said on the #PFTPM podcast in late September regarding the transition from Nagy to Bieniemy. “Coach Bieniemy brings a fierce, aggressive mentality to the offense. Kind of a gritty, punch-you-in-the-mouth-type of mindset, and I think that has rubbed off on everybody, from Pat [Mahomes] throwing the ball aggressively down field. The play calling is a little bit more aggressive and, sure enough, everybody getting the ball has been a north runner. There’s not too much running sideways. Everybody’s getting downhill trying to finish the plays in the end zone.”

The problem is that Bieniemy doesn’t call plays. Then again, Nagy only called plays for half of a season in 2017, a season that saw the offense sputter after a strong start to the season.

The explanation could be more about the pursuit of quarterback whisperers, and Bieniemy’s lack of background in that area.

“I think the big thing is teams are looking for quarterback guys,” one league source opined to PFT. “Matt, Doug are both former quarterbacks and former quarterback coaches.” Bieniemy isn’t.

There’s still a belief in Kansas City that Bieniemy will become a great coach someday. For now, the Chiefs benefit. Then again, they likely benefit either way; they’ve done a great job filling the pipeline with more great offensive coordinators, as their offensive coordinators become great coaches.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Report: Steve Sarkisian unlikely to end up in Arizona

Posted by Charean Williams on January 12, 2019, 8:11 PM EST

GettyImages-1043749340-e1547341766886.jpg

Getty Images

So much for Steve Sarkisian being close to a deal with the Cardinals.

A day after it appeared Sarkisian was close to becoming the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that Sarkisian is unlikely to join Kliff Kingsbury’s staff.

The Cardinals have hired Vance Joseph to be their defensive coordinator and retained special teams coordinator Jeff Rodgers, but the search for an offensive coordinator continues.

Kingsbury has interviewed a few candidates, including Ben McAdoo.

Sarkisian, 44, spent the past two seasons as the Falcons’ offensive coordinator. Atlanta fired him after a 7-9 season.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Pretty happy with the Packers hire of LaFleur and the fact he's keeping Pettine on. Still searching for an OC though, will be interesting to see who we bring in for that.

One guy I really want brought back is James Campen, our OL coach, we've consistently been able to produce quality lineman from the middle rounds of the draft, maybe not so much in run blocking but definitely in pass blocking is what's needed with Rodgers under centre.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Matt Rhule says he’ll always avoid an “arranged marriage”

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2019, 10:16 PM EST

GettyImages-848003184-e1547349326516.jpg

Getty Images

The Jets wanted to hire Baylor coach Matt Rhule. But the Jets also didn’t want to let Rhule hire his own offensive coordinator. And that was a dealbreaker for Rhule.

“At the end of the day, I’m never going to be in an arranged marriage,” Rhule told KRZI-AM in Waco, Texas on Thursday, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I’m never going to subcontract jobs to the offense and defense. I always want to hire people that believe in what I believe, that are going to do things our way, that are going to believe in process, that are going to be part of a program. I truly believe that programs win.”

Per Mehta, the Jets wanted Rhule to hire former Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken. Rhule wanted to hire his own guy. And so it all fell apart.

The Jets instead hired former Dolphins coach Adam Gase.

More surprising than the outcome is the willingness of Rhule to be so candid about it. Not that long ago, college coaches kept secret any NFL aspirations, since that can create recruiting challenges — especially when rival coaches use a potential jump to the pro level against them. For Rhule, the cat is out of the bag, and he’s doing nothing to act like it isn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico

Good hire if the explosiveness of the Bucs offense in 2018 is anything to go by. Will be interesting to see whether he or Kitchens calls the plays.

I also believe that the Browns have hired former Packers OL coach James Campen to coach the same position group in Cleveland, which would be another good hire given the quality of certain O-Linemen that have developed in GB recently

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I also believe that the Browns have hired former Packers OL coach James Campen to coach the same position group in Cleveland, which would be another good hire given the quality of certain O-Linemen that have developed in GB recently
I do not like this news.

Kubiak looks to be bringing quite a number of assistants with him.....

The team announced Monday night that it had hired former Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak as an offensive advisor and assistant head coach. Kubiak’s son, Klint, was named the Vikings’ quarterbacks coach and Brian Pariani the tight ends coach. The Star Tribune reported that the Vikings are targeting Rick Dennison to become their offensive line coach. Dennison, 60, and Pariani, 53, previously have worked with Gary Kubiak.

to summarise:

Gary Kubiak - offensive advisor and assistant head coach
Klint Kubiak - quarterbacks coach
Brian Pariani - tight ends coach
Rick Dennison - offensive line coach

Kubiak looks to be bringing quite a number of assistants with him.....

to summarise:

Gary Kubiak - offensive advisor and assistant head coach
Klint Kubiak - quarterbacks coach
Brian Pariani - tight ends coach
Rick Dennison - offensive line coach

As OC does Stefanski get to have a chance for any of his guys? What a weird set up

How awkward and weird did Gase look? Poor Mike Maccagnan onhis right wondering wtf.

Looks like he snorted half a dozen lines before the presser and wrongly thought he was the only one that knew......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back