NFL 2019 - Off-Season Coaching and GM News

Remove this Banner Ad

As OC does Stefanski get to have a chance for any of his guys? What a weird set up
Listening to the latest from the Vikings beat writers no-one really knows who was responsible for hiring Kubiak and his crew. The request may have come from Zimmer, or then again it may have been something floated by Zimmer/Stefanski. Stefanski has worked with Klint Kubiak before, when Klint was on the Vikings in 2013/14 and who knows how deep the relationship is between the two.

The are a number of teams with offensive advisors on their staff so the Vikings aren't doing anything new with the Kubiak hire.

One of the things that stood out in 2018 was that Zimmer really missed the influence that Tony Sparano had within the coaching team in 2017 and therefore I think there was a concerted effort to get someone with a similar level of experience into the Vikings coaching fold. It's possible that Gary Kubiak was interviewed for a lower level coaching role and during the interview process the offensive advisor/assistant head coach role became the answer to getting Kubiak on board. There were also vacancies for QB coach (Stefanski's previous role) and OL coach (Sparano) so hiring Kubiak enabled the other positions to be filled as well.

Kubiak also kits the mold as far as the zone concepts that the Vikings run so getting a crew that all talked the same language has to be seen as a positive for the team.

Zimmer is in the final year of his HC contract with the Vikings and management may also be looking at other HC options (ie Kubiak) in the event that things go sour during next season.

The are a number of teams with offensive advisors on their staff so the Vikings aren't doing anything new with the Kubiak hire.

True but I don’t remember an advisor calling in as many of his people or certainly more than the OC may have.

Seriously this is an interesting move from Denver....Scangarello has never called plays and Fangio is a defense guy so Denver's offensive persona is a real unknown for now.

You could say the same thing about DeFilippo going to Jacksonville. The big issue with 'Flip in Minnesota was his unwillingness to listen to Zimmer and run the ball more. You would have to say that the Jags are more reliant on running the ball than Minnesota and therefore you would think that DeFilippo in Jacksonville is a square peg in a round hole....

By the way - when Zimmer says he wants the team to run the ball more, I'm sure what he means is that he wants the team to be able to win the time of possession battle. Winning the time of possession means that your defence is more rested than the other team's defence and that has obvious benefits in the latter part of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could say the same thing about DeFilippo going to Jacksonville. The big issue with 'Flip in Minnesota was his unwillingness to listen to Zimmer and run the ball more. You would have to say that the Jags are more reliant on running the ball than Minnesota and therefore you would think that DeFilippo in Jacksonville is a square peg in a round hole....

By the way - when Zimmer says he wants the team to run the ball more,I'm sure what he means is that he wants the team to be able to win the time of possession battle. Winning the time of possession means that your defen ce is more rested than the other team's defence and that has obvious benefits in the latter part of games.

and your typically leading or well in a game late.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico

This means the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator responsible for this play are now on the same team
giphy.gif

This means the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator responsible for this play are now on the same team
giphy.gif

I knew it would end up being Bill Belichick's fault somehow.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

By the way - when Zimmer says he wants the team to run the ball more, I'm sure what he means is that he wants the team to be able to win the time of possession battle. Winning the time of possession means that your defence is more rested than the other team's defence and that has obvious benefits in the latter part of games.
And also shortens the game meaning less scoring and meaning that one play makes a bigger impact on the game. That suits the Vikes much more

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Jim Bob Cooter was seemingly doing good things in Detroit until the past season - especially the passing game. Interesting they've dumped him for a guy who Seahawk fans didn't seem happy with.
Not only were Seahawks fans not happy with Bevell, he was outperformed by Brian Schottenheimer of all people

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why must there be nepotism or circle-jerking? Why couldn't Reich just continue with this guy? And, in the end that could be someone he NOW would have a working relationship with if in future he had another HC gig at another team. It's pretty stupid if you ask me....

-------------

Frank Reich notes “odd dynamics” and desire to have his guy as reasons for Dave DeGuglielmo firing

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 17, 2019, 1:05 AM EST

gettyimages-1076038422-e1547701115242.jpg

Getty Images

Despite massive strides made by the offensive line of the Indianapolis Colts in 2018, head coach Frank Reich elected to part ways with line coach Dave DeGuglielmo after their season-ending loss to the Kansas City Chiefs last weekend.

DeGuglielmo and Reich were a bit of a forced marriage as DeGuglielmo joined the Colts under the belief Josh McDaniels would be the team’s head coach. Instead, McDaniels bailed on his commitment to the Colts to return to the New England Patriots. DeGuglielmo remained with the Colts as Reich eventually became the head coach instead.

Reich told the Colts’ website that he appreciate DeGuglielmo’s contributions while noting the challenges of the situation created by the forced union.
“After the season, you know, just decided to part ways with Guge,” Reich said. “And that was really hard, because I so much respect Guge as a person and as a coach. You know, he played a significant role in us coming in here and the success we had. And it’s hard — it’s hard to explain. It was really odd dynamics the way that he and I got connected, and it’s no reflection on him or anything; it’s just when I had envisioned getting this position, you know, there’s certain things that you just are looking for, in ways that you just want to have ‘my guy,’ for lack of a better way to say. You always envision bringing in the guy that you had envisioned bringing in. But certainly appreciate the contribution Guge made, and I told him that, and love and respect him.”

Andrew Luck went five full games without being sacked and was sacked just 18 times on the season. Only Drew Brees was sacked fewer times in 2018 among quarterbacks that started at least 10 games. Luck was sacked 41 times in his last full season in 2016. The jump in production allowed the Colts to become the seventh-ranked offense overall and fifth-ranked scoring offense this season.

The Colts are in search of multiple new offensive line coaches as Bobby Johnson also left the staff to take the head line coaching job with the Buffalo Bills.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alabama defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi hired by Browns

Posted by Charean Williams on January 16, 2019, 7:40 PM EST

gettyimages-603983526-e1537651948261.jpg

Getty Images

Alabama defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi is headed to Cleveland to join the Browns, Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports reports. Lupoi will join Freddie Kitchens’ staff as the defensive line coach.

Lupoi was the primary recruiter for Tua Tagovailoa, Jonah Wililams, Najee Harris and Raekwon Davis, among others, and known as one of the nation’s top recruiters.

It is a good get for Kitchens, a former Alabama quarterback.

Lupoi spent five seasons with Nick Saban at Alabama, earning a promotion to defensive coordinator a year after after Jeremy Pruitt left to become the head coach at the University of Tennessee. Lupoi served as the outside linebackers coach for the three seasons before that after arriving as an analyst in 2014.

He coached the defensive linemen for four seasons at Cal and for two seasons at the University of Washington before leaving for Alabama.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sean Payton to the Cowboys???????????

-------------------------

Why won’t Jerry Jones commit to Jason Garrett? (we have an idea)

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2019, 6:23 PM EST

gettyimages-1081681568-1-e1547680982354.jpg

Getty Images

In one breath, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones insists that coach Jason Garrett would have had five job offers if he’d been available two weeks ago. In the next breath, Jones refuses to rule out that Garrett will be available two weeks from now.

So what’s going on? We’ve got an idea. And it involves the head coach of a team that is still playing.

Here’s what Jones told 105.3 The Fan in Dallas when asked to commit to the 2019 return of his head coach, with emphasis added: “Why would I put some kind of statement out that says this is what we’re going to do when we might have an opportunity here next week? This is the time when these things are thought about. This is the time when they are chewed on. This is when you may see an opportunity next week that you didn’t know existed this week in the area of personnel or in the area of coaching. And I’m not trying to be cute here. I’m just saying that one of the advantages that we have is that we can operate with that kind of flexibility.”

So what opportunity could arise next week? Short of the cloning of Sean McVay or the reanimation of Vince Lombardi, the universe of potential coaches is set. The universe of available coaches, however, will soon grow.

After Sunday, an AFC finalist and an NFC finalist will lose. Next week, coaches will be available, in theory, who aren’t available now.

And given that a month of Sunday Splash! reports has speculated on Saints coach Sean Payton moving on and, more specifically, linked him to the Cowboys, it’s fair to consider Jones’ comments through that lens. Is Jones suggesting that, if the Saints lose, the Cowboys would explore upgrading from Jason Garrett to Sean Payton?

Despite the practical complications that arise when trying to fire one coach and hire another (Rooney Rule compliance would become an obvious issue), Jerry Jones tends to do whatever Jerry Jones wants to do. He has said he’d write a huge check if it would guarantee a Super Bowl win, and whether those huge checks are to the league for violating the Rooney Rule, to Payton to lure him to town, or both, Jones’ cryptic yet loaded comments from Tuesday suggest that he’s thinking about making a run at hiring Payton.

Of course, Payton has said or done nothing to suggest an inclination to leave the Saints. But this isn’t about Payton; it’s about Jones. If Jones has decided that he’s willing to blow the coaching compensation curve in order to make it happen (and to give up draft picks to get Payton from the Saints), nothing stops Jones from at least trying.

And that may be the only way to properly comprehend the things that Jones had to say on Tuesday when talking about his current head coach.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Why must there be nepotism or circle-jerking? Why couldn't Reich just continue with this guy? And, in the end that could be someone he NOW would have a working relationship with if in future he had another HC gig at another team. It's pretty stupid if you ask me....

-------------

Frank Reich notes “odd dynamics” and desire to have his guy as reasons for Dave DeGuglielmo firing

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 17, 2019, 1:05 AM EST

gettyimages-1076038422-e1547701115242.jpg

Getty Images

Despite massive strides made by the offensive line of the Indianapolis Colts in 2018, head coach Frank Reich elected to part ways with line coach Dave DeGuglielmo after their season-ending loss to the Kansas City Chiefs last weekend.

DeGuglielmo and Reich were a bit of a forced marriage as DeGuglielmo joined the Colts under the belief Josh McDaniels would be the team’s head coach. Instead, McDaniels bailed on his commitment to the Colts to return to the New England Patriots. DeGuglielmo remained with the Colts as Reich eventually became the head coach instead.

Reich told the Colts’ website that he appreciate DeGuglielmo’s contributions while noting the challenges of the situation created by the forced union.
“After the season, you know, just decided to part ways with Guge,” Reich said. “And that was really hard, because I so much respect Guge as a person and as a coach. You know, he played a significant role in us coming in here and the success we had. And it’s hard — it’s hard to explain. It was really odd dynamics the way that he and I got connected, and it’s no reflection on him or anything; it’s just when I had envisioned getting this position, you know, there’s certain things that you just are looking for, in ways that you just want to have ‘my guy,’ for lack of a better way to say. You always envision bringing in the guy that you had envisioned bringing in. But certainly appreciate the contribution Guge made, and I told him that, and love and respect him.”

Andrew Luck went five full games without being sacked and was sacked just 18 times on the season. Only Drew Brees was sacked fewer times in 2018 among quarterbacks that started at least 10 games. Luck was sacked 41 times in his last full season in 2016. The jump in production allowed the Colts to become the seventh-ranked offense overall and fifth-ranked scoring offense this season.

The Colts are in search of multiple new offensive line coaches as Bobby Johnson also left the staff to take the head line coaching job with the Buffalo Bills.

Is thats whats going on though GG? Ive just spent the last 2 weeks working on & off with someone before my regular partner resurfaced. Yes, the replacement was fine but when youve got someone you can work seamlessly/effortlessly with, that makes life a whole lot more productive & well, easier. & maybe they simply didnt get along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back