8YY3sco.png

NVPGTQG.png

7AyD6Ym.png
V7GVbfz.png
VHzqOJQ.jpg

hQguXxB.png
mF4GS5W.png
f34pLmc.png

Those PNG numbers above look incredibly low for what is our closest neighbour geographically. I know they love RL but didn't they win an international AFL cup once. surely that can't be right.

Technically, that is not PNG either where that is on the map. :oops:

Those PNG numbers above look incredibly low for what is our closest neighbour geographically. I know they love RL but didn't they win an international AFL cup once. surely that can't be right.

Technically, that is not PNG either where that is on the map. :oops:

I think these numbers are for West Papua, not PNG. I dont think PNG is part of AFL Asia.

I think these numbers are for West Papua, not PNG. I dont think PNG is part of AFL Asia.
That would make a load more sense. Still, it is badly labelled in a politically sensitive area. Not sure why you would split West Papua from the rest of Indonesia. Likewise, labelling East Timor as Timor is a bit lazy as well. The joy of politics in Asia.

And no South Korea or Taiwan.

You'd have to be geographically and politically challenged to label West Papua as PNG. Pretty ordinary effort there (by whoever did it, and who was ever meant to be proof reading).
I have to admit, even I find it amusing seeing 4 females listed as playing in the Phillipines and Myanmar.
At least they've got enough to have two at either end for kick-to-kick.
If they combine their numbers they can have enough to field one AFLX team (but with none on the interchange).

You'd have to be geographically and politically challenged to label West Papua as PNG. Pretty ordinary effort there (by whoever did it, and who was ever meant to be proof reading).
I have to admit, even I find it amusing seeing 4 females listed as playing in the Phillipines and Myanmar.
At least they've got enough to have two at either end for kick-to-kick.
If they combine their numbers they can have enough to field one AFLX team (but with none on the interchange).

Mixed football is a thing you know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wookie, please, surely you can see the funny side of two countries reporting total participants of 4? (as in 4; four; 1, 2, 3, 4...)
And I say that as a card carrying supporter of international aussie rules.

They are reporting total female participants. And they arent playing by themselves. So no, I dont see the damn funny side.

Very localized but may be of interest to some, very heavily UK and South African areas, some suburbs have more than 50% UK residents, so surprising footy has so much traction.

Sporting clubs Currently, there are approximately 116 active sporting clubs known to operate within the City of Joondalup. Club membership data for the last three years (2014, 2015 and 2016) has been collected. While this information may not be 100% accurate, it does provide an indication of the current sporting landscape across the City. The following is a summary of the analysis of the membership data: 18 • There were approximately 30,522 active participants in organised sport and recreation clubs in 2016 (increase of 2,772 from 27,750 in 2013). •

In 2016 the top six participating sports were: -

Australian rules football (AFL) - approximately 7,186 (23.5%). -
Soccer - approximately 3,614 (11.8%). -
Surf lifesaving – approximately 3,527 (11.6%). -
Basketball - approximately 2,737 (9%). -
Cricket – approximately 2,507 (8.2%). -
Netball – approximately 2,394 (7.8%).

• Over the last three years: - Australian rules football (AFL) participation has increased by approximately 1,916 participants (36.36% increase). - Soccer participation has increased by approximately 694 participants (23.77% increase). - Surf lifesaving participation has increased by approximately 127 participants (3.74% increase). - Basketball participation has decreased by approximately 563 participants (17.06% decrease). - Cricket participation has increased by approximately 207 participants (9.00% increase). - Netball participation has decreased by approximately 386 participants (13.88% decrease).

Since 2016 girls football would have grown probably substantially % wise.

Joondalup ethnicity and population.

The recent census conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics estimates that the City’s 2015-2016 Estimated Resident Population (ERP) is 160,995 people.

Ancestry defines the ethnic background of an individual going back three generations. Based on the 2016 data, the City has a high proportion of English migrants, with 70,876 (45.9%) of the population, while the significant remainder come from Australian (45,924 – 29.7%), Irish (18,228 – 11.8%), Scottish (16,468 – 10.7%) and Italian (6,633 – 4.3%) backgrounds.

Absolutely correct Wook.
PNG travel to the AFL Asia Champs as an invitee and they won the Champs title up there this year as warm up for the 2020 IC and I am tipping they will continue to win that title for a while yet provided they continue to get invited. They (PNG) are a class above along with NZ.
What breath of fresh air are AFL Asia - Switched on and open in everything they do.

Very localized but may be of interest to some, very heavily UK and South African areas, some suburbs have more than 50% UK residents, so surprising footy has so much traction.

Sporting clubs Currently, there are approximately 116 active sporting clubs known to operate within the City of Joondalup. Club membership data for the last three years (2014, 2015 and 2016) has been collected. While this information may not be 100% accurate, it does provide an indication of the current sporting landscape across the City. The following is a summary of the analysis of the membership data: 18 • There were approximately 30,522 active participants in organised sport and recreation clubs in 2016 (increase of 2,772 from 27,750 in 2013). •

In 2016 the top six participating sports were: -

Australian rules football (AFL) - approximately 7,186 (23.5%). -
Soccer - approximately 3,614 (11.8%). -
Surf lifesaving – approximately 3,527 (11.6%). -
Basketball - approximately 2,737 (9%). -
Cricket – approximately 2,507 (8.2%). -
Netball – approximately 2,394 (7.8%).

• Over the last three years: - Australian rules football (AFL) participation has increased by approximately 1,916 participants (36.36% increase). - Soccer participation has increased by approximately 694 participants (23.77% increase). - Surf lifesaving participation has increased by approximately 127 participants (3.74% increase). - Basketball participation has decreased by approximately 563 participants (17.06% decrease). - Cricket participation has increased by approximately 207 participants (9.00% increase). - Netball participation has decreased by approximately 386 participants (13.88% decrease).

Since 2016 girls football would have grown probably substantially % wise.
The Rugby codes juniors are also up there and obviously must still be low - Less than 1000 say.
All the English migrants we knew generally drift to local Soccer Football Clubs.
However when their kids go to school they maybe exposed to our game and start following/playing it but no definite studies done to my knowledge and we must acknowledge the WAFL West Perth Club and Junior Clubs up there for their huge efforts in that area.

Last edited:
The Rugby codes juniors are also up there and obviously must still be low - Less than 1000 say.
All the English migrants we knew generally drift to local Soccer Football Clubs.
However when their kids go to school they maybe exposed to our game and start following/playing it but no definite studies done to my knowledge and we must acknowledge the WAFL West Perth Club and Junior Clubs up there for their huge efforts in that area.

The rugby codes have one club each in the joondalup shire, RU is probably bigger due to to South Africans and Kiwis, both would have a couple of hundred players seniors and juniors combined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back