Resource 2019 Participation

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a interesting email recently.

Looks to me to be a private concern but has WAFC and AFL approval for pre auskick 2-5 year olds.

I am guessing the WAFC or AFL charge some type of franchise fee perhaps.

Either way i have never heard of footy participation for kids that young.

Looks to me to be a private concern but has WAFC and AFL approval for pre auskick 2-5 year olds.

Soccer has a large swathe of participation numbers in the 4 to 6 year old category. Any parents out there who have joined a local soccer club with their small kids knows the deal. A large patch of turf is turned into 50 tiny fields and early on a Sat morning you can have 400 4&5 year olds running around for 25 min, and then another 400 5&6 year olds running around for 25 min shortly afterwards. So within one hour, in one location, 800 4-6 year olds have just contributed to soccer's "participation".
Repeat that formula in 100 locations across the capital cities, and there's a minimum 80,000 in participation.
A small fraction of those 80,000 and their families will actually have any interest in soccer.

Soccer has a large swathe of participation numbers in the 4 to 6 year old category. Any parents out there who have joined a local soccer club with their small kids knows the deal. A large patch of turf is turned into 50 tiny fields and early on a Sat morning you can have 400 4&5 year olds running around for 25 min, and then another 400 5&6 year olds running around for 25 min shortly afterwards. So within one hour, in one location, 800 4-6 year olds have just contributed to soccer's "participation".
Repeat that formula in 100 locations across the capital cities, and there's a minimum 80,000 in participation.
A small fraction of those 80,000 and their families will actually have any interest in soccer.

I just thought it was interesting because it appears to be privately run, that means $$ are involved and peoples livelihoods on the line, volunteer run clubs sometimes are a bit slack on promoting auskick or other programs they have and that's understandable, i really haven't seen this type of situation before for footy.

I think its a good thing.

Been around for years. There's actually heaps of sports programs for kids in that age bracket, most of them are multi sport things, but there's a few that are sport specific. Grasshopper soccer is a big one as well. I think all of them are privately run.

This AFL article says female participation has increased to an excellent "over 580,000" in 2019, a rise of c.9.5% on 2018 regd official nos. of 530,166.

The article also says there has been a"... 31% increase in female participation across all levels of the game in 2019". This appears incorrect, since, in 2018, there were 530,166 official regd. female players.

Last edited:
This AFL article says female participation has increased to an excellent "over 580,000" in 2019, a rise of c.9.5% on 2018 regd official nos. of 530,166.

The article also says there has been a"... 31% increase in female participation across all levels of the game in 2019". This appears incorrect, since, in 2018, there were 530,166 official regd. female players.

Looks like the growth curve is starting to flatten out a bit.
Realistically the heartland areas must be getting near their potential numbers wise and will now likely settle down to a steady but not spectacular increase each year.
So whats left - NSW and QLD. Of the two QLD has done really well considering the other codes/sports competition.
The only area left is NSW which is being hampered by critical facility shortages in the Sydney Metro area.
Totally off topic but related to children playing our game.
In Kalgoorlie in regional WA the Goldfields Football League has resorted to paying all of the costs for parents for their kids to play our game because of a big drop off in Auskick this year. Is this a trend or does it happen elsewhere.

SEN SA Radio 13.2
Excellent growth continues in SA for jnr & snr female club comp. nos.

"...7,5914 females were registered to play club football in 2019, up from 6,118 in club teams the previous year".
(I'm not sure if this includes female club Auskick girls 5y.o - 8y.o. Many brief MSM participant reports lack clarity- annoying!)

Regional SA female club competition nos'. growth increased by 50% to 3115 in 2019, compared to 6% growth in the metro area.

Importantly, female Club Auskick 5y.o - 8 y.o. had 2,418 players, 15% more than 2018- this bodes very well for future growth continuing in the net 10 years.

Last edited:

FFS! The rugby league sooks replying to that tweet!

How does breaking down participation to the city and club / auskick level turn in to "fudging numbers"?

Looking at last years, roughly a 2% lift on 2018 numbers. Hopefully the renaissance of the Lions will start feeding back in to growth

The 2019 Qld. 275,000 represent a 3.5% increase on 2018 official nos. of 265,760. An OK result, not outstanding.

It is good that the AFL released club & Auskick nos. for each main region in Qld. I hope all other states adopt a similar policy.

I assume the 29,116 playing in "Auskick Centres" represent club & independent Auskick nos. -but not Auskick at schools, which is much shorter than the Club & independent Auskick Centres, which usually go for c. 14 weeks.
Are you able to confirm this?

(The Qld. 2018 Official total rise was 5.2%)

Last edited:
The 2019 Qld. 275,000 represent a 3.5% increase on 2018 official nos. of 265,760. An OK result, not outstanding.

It is good that the AFL released club & Auskick nos. for each main region in Qld. I hope all other states adopt a similar policy.

I assume the 29,116 playing in "Auskick Centres" represent club & independent Auskick nos. -but not Auskick at schools, which is much shorter than the Club & independent Auskick Centres, which usually go for c. 14 weeks.
Are you able to confirm this?

(The Qld. 2018 Official total rise was 5.2%)

Cant cofirm anything at the moment, this is all we have

31,000 for club is the most important stat.

The auskick stats probably include club and school and most likely have double ups.

the other stats most likely also have double ups and maybe triple ups as well.

Just guessing but club registered players is probably round 40,000 plus if including auskick club registered.

It's reasonably healthy and still growing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS! The rugby league sooks replying to that tweet!

How does breaking down participation to the city and club / auskick level turn in to "fudging numbers"?

Looking at last years, roughly a 2% lift on 2018 numbers. Hopefully the renaissance of the Lions will start feeding back in to growth

QLD juniors )city) surged after the 3 peat and then remained pretty steady with no contraction or growth for a number of years, although the game has grown in the rural areas, but from a low base.

Brisbane based juniors may take off again on the back of the Lions ATM.

Alternatively NSW particularly Sydney juniors have taken off and now are probably way ahead of Brisbane, whereas 5 years ago were a fair way behind in club registered numbers.

If anyone is interested in the comparison in club numbers between Sydney and Brisbane at a club level in under 12's, here it is.

In 2012 in Sydney there were 42 under 12's boys community club teams (32 in Swans zone, 10 in GWS zone or WS)

In 2019 there were 63 under 12's boys teams ( 45 Swans zone, 18 in WS)

There were also 28 under 12's girls teams (Swans zone) in 2019 , which did not exist in 2012 and GWS zone went from under 11"s to under 13's, so no under 12's girls teams.

This does not include private schools comp where their may be some doubling up at that age group in both boys and girls.

Just the first comparison of stats show a massive increase, let alone girls and boys private schools comp where there is around 30 teams at that age level.

By comparison....

In 2012 there were 36 boys under 12's in the Brisbane juniors under 12's

In 2019 there were 43 boys under 12's teams

In 2012 girls juniors younger than under 15's did not exist

In 2019 24 under 13's girls teams in Brisbane juniors.

Does not include Gold coast juniors, as they are a separate comp.

Huge growth in boys and girls Sydney

Stable boys growth in Brisbane, huge girls growth.

Last edited:
QLD juniors )city) surged after the 3 peat and then remained pretty steady with no contraction or growth for a number of years, although the game has grown in the rural areas, but from a low base.

Brisbane based juniors may take off again on the back of the Lions ATM.

I did this graph in 2016

AFlBrisbaneJuniors1991-2016.png

surely you can see the funny side of two countries reporting total participants of 4?

But it's not "two countries reporting total participants of 4?" is it . It's the number of women reported to be playing football.
What's funny? Women in two countries have started playing Australian Football.
Look at the other countries.

And I say that as a card carrying supporter of international aussie rules.

Then why don't you discuss some of the obviously impressive statistics instead of making lame jokes?
it's quite impressive that football from Australia has spread to all these Asian countries with so little official help.
Again, Australian Football being spread by the diligent work of volunteers and the creation of AFL Asia
has certainly boosted the co-ordination of football and hence the development of football in Asia.

But it's not "two countries reporting total participants of 4?" is it . It's the number of women reported to be playing football.
What's funny? Women in two countries have started playing Australian Football.
Look at the other countries.

Then why don't you discuss some of the obviously impressive statistics instead of making lame jokes?
it's quite impressive that football from Australia has spread to all these Asian countries with so little official help.
Again, Australian Football being spread by the diligent work of volunteers and the creation of AFL Asia
has certainly boosted the co-ordination of football and hence the development of football in Asia.

Relax dude, as a card carrying supporter of international football ( I even attended a game of the International Cup once), I say to you, reporting a stat of 4 was funny, is funny, will continue to be funny.
Who amongst us can look at that stat of 4 without at least a tiny hint of a smile??
As a general comment, having watched the progress of international footy for some 20 years now, I'm a tiny bit dissappointed as to where things stand.
A decade ago, I would have been hoping for a bit more.
The women's game provides us with some hope, but overall, I find the progress of the past decade to be disappointing.

If anyone is interested in the comparison in club numbers between Sydney and Brisbane at a club level in under 12's, here it is.

In 2012 in Sydney there were 42 under 12's boys community club teams (32 in Swans zone, 10 in GWS zone or WS)

In 2019 there were 63 under 12's teams ( 45 Swans zone, 18 in WS)

There were also 28 under 12's girls teams (Swans zone) in 2019 , which did not exist in 2012 and GWS zone went from under 11"s to under 13's, so no under 12's girls teams.

This does not include private schools comp where their may be some doubling up at that age group in both boys and girls.

Just the first comparison of stats show a massive increase, let alone girls and boys private schools comp where there is around 30 teams at that age level.

By comparison....

In 2012 there were 36 boys under 12's in the Brisbane juniors under 12's

In 2019 there were 43 boys under 12's teams

In 2012 girls juniors younger than under 15's did not exist

In 2019 24 under 13's girls teams in Brisbane juniors.

Does not include Gold coast juniors, as they are a separate comp.

Huge growth in boys and girls Sydney

Stable boys growth in Brisbane, huge girls growth.

Just to put that post into perspective, kids dont just start playing footy at under 12's (or most) the base is built at auskick and becomes more pyramid like as they age, so the numbers below that age would be even bigger.

Not sure how many people are aware of the quite big numbers now playing the game in certain parts of Sydney in comparison to a few years ago, the increase has been quite substantial.

As a general comment, having watched the progress of international footy for some 20 years now, I'm a tiny bit dissappointed as to where things stand.

I think it's funny that you actually expect anyone to believe you have a genuine interest in Australian Football overseas
as anyone with a genuine interest in that would be clued onto the fact that Australian Football has had some fantastic
"organic" growth and substantial investment growth.

I think it's funny that you actually expect anyone to believe you have a genuine interest in Australian Football overseas
as anyone with a genuine interest in that would be clued onto the fact that Australian Football has had some fantastic

You might be the only one here who thinks its funny / doubts him

He is just saying he wished it would have grown more than it has. Doesn't mean it hasn't had any growth

I've observed major regressions over the past decade:
South Africa
Samoa (couple of other Pacific countries as well)
a couple of Scandinavian countries
Italy
Timor Leste

Other countries with solid domestic leagues, like Denmark and Canada, can't seem to bridge the gap with the the big three, can probably say the same of the US and England.

Croatia is a good story.

So personally, all in all, I find that a bit disappointing. A decade ago, I would have been hoping that things would have been better than they are now (and I understand how difficult it is).

I like the growing number of women in the AFLW, and hopefully that can continue growing.

Just to make it more clear on the growth in Sydney using the under 12's as an example ...

In 2012 in Sydney there were 42 under 12's boys community club teams (32 in Swans zone, 10 in GWS zone or WS), no private school boys and girls teams, no community club girls teams

In 2019 in Sydney there were 129 under 12 teams

break up as follows

63 boys community club teams
28 girls community club teams
18 private school boys teams
20 private school girls teams

No doubt some double up of players between community and school, they play on different days, one plays Saturday, the other Sunday

Incredible rise really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back