Resource 2019 Participation

Remove this Banner Ad

no footy league is possible overseas,

Yet it is there for everyone to see, that the 56 odd countries that regularly play Australian Football in affiliated leagues with affiliated clubs with a regular season schedule for a premiership and for numerous international Australian Football competitions have achieved this through the hard work of amateurs.

How can you say such an idiotic statement. I have played Australian Football in a number of countries. I have umpired Australian Football in a number of countries. I have visited Australian Football in a number of countries.

Anyone can simply go to any website and see the number of teams, the playing schedule, the playing numbers and the number of competitions.

The NFL are keen to have a professional presence in London because they make money.
American Football is actually big in England now, but how much is due directly to investment by the NFL?

The NFL has been quite reticent in spending money around the world.
The IFAF is headquartered in France!
The NFL will have a club overseas before the AFL and it will be self funding.

Yet it is there for everyone to see, that the 56 odd countries that regularly play Australian Football in affiliated leagues with affiliated clubs with a regular season schedule for a premiership and for numerous international Australian Football competitions have achieved this through the hard work of amateurs.

How can you say such an idiotic statement. I have played Australian Football in a number of countries. I have umpired Australian Football in a number of countries. I have visited Australian Football in a number of countries.

Anyone can simply go to any website and see the number of teams, the playing schedule, the playing numbers and the number of competitions.
18 a side comps played on Ovals?

18 a side comps played on Ovals?

As a player, I much prefer 18-a-side football because it is so much easier.
9-a-side football is easily the most intense as you have no time to recover.
I have never seen Australian Football played on a rectangular pitch - always an oval.
Have you seen rugby on an oval?
The oval shape reduces the number of laws - just another advantage of Australian Football.

That is your opinion.
Logistically, I don't see a London NFL team as the best move for American Football.
An AFL team in Auckland would work well but is being held up by the lack of a suitable stadium.
I think a NFL club in London would work very well and make money and London has a population of 9 million
The AFL will never have a team in New Zealand as the last games played there showed the crowds were on a downward spiral and if the AFL wanted one there who's going to pay for the stadium and what's the population of New Zealand?
It would be another financial blackhole for the AFL with GWS and the Suns

Last edited:
As a player, I much prefer 18-a-side football because it is so much easier.
9-a-side football is easily the most intense as you have no time to recover.
I have never seen Australian Football played on a rectangular pitch - always an oval.
Have you seen rugby on an oval?
The oval shape reduces the number of laws - just another advantage of Australian Football.
So they question i asked was how many AF comps overseas are 18 a side and played on ovals.

So they question i asked was how many AF comps overseas are 18 a side.

So you want me to go through this entire list just for you?

*Countries playing Australian Football in regular competition.*

O1.Abu Dhabi, AFLME
02.Argentina, AFLArgentina
03.Australia, AFL
04.Austria, EU
05.Bahrain, AFLME
06.Brunei, BAFL/AFLAsia
07.Cambodia, AFLAsia
08.Canada, AFLC, IC, ECP(AC), 49thP
09.China, AFLAsia IC
10.Colombia, CAFL
11.Croatia, CAAF, ECP, IC, EU
12.Czech Rebublic, CAFL, EU
13.Denmark, DAFL, ECP, IC
14.Dubai, AFLME
15.East Timor, AFLTimorLeste, IC
16.England, AFLEngland, IC, ECP, EU
17.Fiji, AFLFiji, IC
18.Finland, FAFL, IC, ECP, EU
19.France, CNFA, IC, EU
20.Germany, AFLGermany, ECP, EU
21.Hong Kong, AFLAsia
22.Iceland, AFLIceland, ECP, EU
23.India, AFLIndia, IC
24.Indonesia, AFLIndonesia, IC
25.Ireland, AFLIreland, IC, ECP
26.Italy, AFLItaly
27.Japan, JAFL, IC
28.Kuwait, AFLME
29.Laos, AFLAsia
30.Macau, AFLAsia
31.Malaysia, AFLAsia
32.Myanmar, AFLAsia
33.Nauru, NAFA, IC
34.Netherlands, DAFA, EU
35.New Zealand, AFLNZ, IC
36.Norway, NAFL, EU
37.Oman, AFLME
38.Pakistan, PAFL, IC
39.Papua New Guinea, AFLPNG, IC
40.Philippines, PAFL
41.Qatar, AFLME
42.Russia, AFLRussia, EU
43.Samoa, SAFA, IC
44.Scotland, AFLScotland, EU
45.Singapore, AFLAsia
46.Solomon Islands, SIAFL
47.South Africa, AFLSA, IC
48.Sri Lanka, AFSL, AFLSia, IC
49.Sweden, SAFL, IC, ECP
50.Switzerland, AFLSwitzerland, EU
51.Thailand, AFLAsia
52.Tonga, AFLTonga, IC
53.United States America, USAFL, IC, ECP(AC), 49thP
54.Vanuatu, AFLVanuatu
55.Vietnam, AFLAsia
56.Wales, WARFL

*Countries playing Australian Football in irregular Competition*

01.Andorra, Andorra Crows, CAFL
02.Belgium, AFLBelgium, EU
03.Catalonia, LFAC, IC, EU
04.Chile, Santiago Saints, internationls
05.Mongolia, AFLMongolia, internationals
06.Portugal, AFLPortugal, EU
07.Poland, AFLPoland, EU, internationals
08.Spain, AFLSpain, IC
09.Israel, IC, EU
10.Palestine, IC. EU

*Countries playing Australian Football in informal Competition*

01.Bermuda, Bermuda Lions
02.Botswana, FootyWild Brazil,
03.Brazil Carnaval Georgia, EU
04.Ghana, FootyWild
05.Kenya, FootyWild, internationals
06.Lebanon, Lebanon Falcons
07.Malta, Auskick
08.Montenegro, IC
09.Rwanda, FootyWild
10.Senegal, IAFC
11.South Sudan, Footywild
12.Tanzania, FootyWild, internationals
13.Uganda, FootyWild, internationals
14.Zimbabwe, FootyWild, internationals

Recently

01.Bulgaria, AFLBulgaria, internationals
02.Estonia, AFLEstonia
03.Hungary, Budapest Bats
04.Nepal, AFLAsia
05.Malawi, Auskick

O1.Abu Dhabi, AFLME
03.Australia, AFL
04.Austria, EU
05.Bahrain, AFLME
06.Brunei, BAFL/AFLAsia
07.Cambodia, AFLAsia
08.Canada, AFLC, IC, ECP(AC), 49thP
09.China, AFLAsia IC
10.Colombia, CAFL
11.Croatia, CAAF, ECP, IC, EU
12.Czech Rebublic, CAFL, EU
13.Denmark, DAFL, ECP, IC
14.Dubai, AFLME
15.East Timor, AFLTimorLeste, IC
16.England, AFLEngland, IC, ECP, EU
17.Fiji, AFLFiji, IC
18.Finland, FAFL, IC, ECP, EU
19.France, CNFA, IC, EU
20.Germany, AFLGermany, ECP, EU
21.Hong Kong, AFLAsia
22.Iceland, AFLIceland, ECP, EU
23.India, AFLIndia, IC
24.Indonesia, AFLIndonesia, IC
25.Ireland, AFLIreland, IC, ECP
26.Italy, AFLItaly
27.Japan, JAFL, IC
28.Kuwait, AFLME
29.Laos, AFLAsia
30.Macau, AFLAsia
31.Malaysia, AFLAsia
32.Myanmar, AFLAsia
33.Nauru, NAFA, IC
34.Netherlands, DAFA, EU
35.New Zealand, AFLNZ, IC
36.Norway, NAFL, EU
37.Oman, AFLME
38.Pakistan, PAFL, IC
39.Papua New Guinea, AFLPNG, IC
40.Philippines, PAFL
41.Qatar, AFLME
42.Russia, AFLRussia, EU
43.Samoa, SAFA, IC
44.Scotland, AFLScotland, EU
45.Singapore, AFLAsia
46.Solomon Islands, SIAFL
47.South Africa, AFLSA, IC
48.Sri Lanka, AFSL, AFLSia, IC
49.Sweden, SAFL, IC, ECP
50.Switzerland, AFLSwitzerland, EU
51.Thailand, AFLAsia
52.Tonga, AFLTonga, IC
53.United States America, USAFL, IC, ECP(AC), 49thP
54.Vanuatu, AFLVanuatu
55.Vietnam, AFLAsia
56.Wales, WARFL

*Countries playing Australian Football in irregular Competition*

01.Andorra, Andorra Crows, CAFL
02.Belgium, AFLBelgium, EU
03.Catalonia, LFAC, IC, EU
04.Chile, Santiago Saints, internationls
05.Mongolia, AFLMongolia, internationals
06.Portugal, AFLPortugal, EU
07.Poland, AFLPoland, EU, internationals
08.Spain, AFLSpain, IC
09.Israel, IC, EU
10.Palestine, IC. EU

*Countries playing Australian Football in informal Competition*

01.Bermuda, Bermuda Lions
02.Botswana, FootyWild Brazil,
03.Brazil Carnaval Georgia, EU
04.Ghana, FootyWild
05.Kenya, FootyWild, internationals
06.Lebanon, Lebanon Falcons
07.Malta, Auskick
08.Montenegro, IC
09.Rwanda, FootyWild
10.Senegal, IAFC
11.South Sudan, Footywild
12.Tanzania, FootyWild, internationals
13.Uganda, FootyWild, internationals
14.Zimbabwe, FootyWild, internationals

Recently

01.Bulgaria, AFLBulgaria, internationals
02.Estonia, AFLEstonia
03.Hungary, Budapest Bats
04.Nepal, AFLAsia
05.Malawi, Auskick
So all the above countries have 18 a side comps played on ovals, yes or no?

No, it's not there for everyone to see, that's exactly the point!

O1.Abu Dhabi, AFLME

As I keep saying, you're making the argument for me.
I looked up AFL Argentina.
It's Facebook page was last updated in 2010. Yes, you read that correctly, 2010.
It has a website, looked it up, its objectives are laudable, it mentioned its Board, I thought, oh gee, I wonder how is on the Board of AFL Argentina.
Well, wasn't I in for a surprise!
How about these luminaries:
Ron Barassi
Allen Aylett
Brian Dixon

A who's who of Australian Football - good to see AFL Argentina getting the big guns out!!

No, it's not there for everyone to see, that's exactly the point!
It's Facebook page was last updated in 2010. Yes, you read that correctly, 2010.
It has a website, looked it up, its objectives are laudable, it mentioned its Board, I thought, oh gee, I wonder how is on the Board of AFL Argentina.
Ron Barassi
Allen Aylett
Brian Dixon

A who's who of Australian Football - good to see AFL Argentina getting the big guns out!!
For obvious reason he won't answer my questions about 18 a side comps outside of Australia played on ovals

Where have I mentioned the AFL??

I didnt, but then no one mentions half the stuff you talk about either.

Don't jump in half-cocked without reading the posts properly.

I read this.

I've said, and I stand by this, no footy league is possible overseas, I mean a proper footy league, playing the full sized version of the game, with more than a handful of clubs, playing more than a handful of games per year, without Australian input over a long period, and by definition, that necessitates re-vitalisation of Australian input over a long period.

I guess the Ontario, Uk and Danish leagues are figments of our imagination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didnt, but then no one mentions half the stuff you talk about either.

I read this.

I guess the Ontario, Uk and Danish leagues are figments of our imagination.
So are you saying that the comps played in Ontario, UK and Danish leagues are all 18 a side and played on ovals?

Ron Barassi
Allen Aylett
Brian Dixon

Just in case anyone missed, this, a certain poster put up AFL Argentina as an example of how the game is flourishing overseas.
Yes, their facebook page has not been updated since 2010.
But that's not the best bit, have a look at the luminaries on the board of AFL Argentina, a who's who of Australian football!

They are not figments, they underscore precisely what I'm talking about!

Are you a complete and utter looney?

How can Ontario, Uk and Danish leagues underscore what you are talking about unless you've come to your senses
and recognised the huge developments in these countries.
Ontario is a two division, 10 ten league that plays 18-a-side. Most of Canada plays 18-a-side.
Canada has made huge advances in school and junior competition but yes, they're probably modified to suit (just like in Australia).
The DAFL started the ball rolling in Scandinavia and has led to Australian Football being played in neighbouring Sweden, Finland, Iceland and Norway.
There are many formats of football in Scandinavia which accommodates men, women and juniors. Currently a lot of football is played indoors because of the weather. They people are so keen to play football that they fork out the money to play indoors. It would be interesting to sees who plays the best indoors - Australia or the rest of the world.
The UK under the BARFL no longer exists. When Australians bowed to pressure and allowed other formats the game exploded in the U.K. to such an extent that Wales and Scotland formed their own leagues. As for England there are a number of leagues. The top leagues are definitely 18-a-side, the social leagues, the womens leagues, the regional leagues and now the university leagues - I'm not sure about.

Australia plays Australian Football in 18-a-side, 16-a-side, modified, junior, women's as well as many other formats.
The legal minimum is 14-a-side so numbers mean little. 9-a-side football is much more intense than 18-a-side.
That is the case for clubs overseas.
The U.S.A. arguably started the most popular arrangement. The U.S.A. has 44 clubs. Those clubs play 18-a-side against each other.
Just about all of those clubs have what's called Metro leagues. These metro leagues usually play 9-a-side but again there is also, women's football, mixed football, junior football and flag football etc. The yanks even developed their own brand of introductory football called Ausball.
The proportional increase in 9-a-side football actually indicates expansion, improvement and a better standard of 18-a-side football.
Deutschland consists of it's main league playing 16-a-side and a developmental league. Now, many of the clubs have their own metro leagues. There is also women's football.

if you want a serious discussion about the status of Australian Football around the world I would certainly welcome that but please
stop the pathetically lame trolling and ask some serious questions if you can.

Just in case anyone missed, this, a certain poster put up AFL Argentina as an example of how the game is flourishing overseas.

"Australian rules football has been played in Buenos Aires, Argentina since 1997, the Asociación Argentina de Futbol Australiano as the de facto governing body.
The Argentine Australian Football Association (AAFA) was founded and competition started in 1997 with a group of 3 teams consisting of about 30 or 40 mainly rugby union players. The league grew to four senior sides in Buenos Aires, with Under 19s sides associated with each senior team, and a growing number of juniors and school squads reported to be in creation. Serious competition began in 1999.
A 'Convicts Tour' of amateur footballer from Australia was planned in 2006 in an effort to see Argentina compete in the 2008 Australian Football International Cup, although this tour was later cancelled.
The first international match between Argentina and Chile was played in May 2008 in Buenos Aires, with the Santiago Saints winning." - Wiki

THE CLUBS
CIUDAD DE BUENOS AIRES Y PCIA FC (CITY OF BUENOS AIRES AND PCIA FC)
ZONA NORTE GRAN FC (GREAT NORTH ZONE FC)
ZONA OESTE GRAN FC (GREAT WEST ZONE FC)
ZONA NOROESTE GRAN FC (GREAT NORTHWEST ZONE FC)
ZONA SUR GRAN FC (GREAT SOUTH ZONE FC)

Are you a complete and utter looney?

How can Ontario, Uk and Danish leagues underscore what you are talking about unless you've come to your senses
and recognised the huge developments in these countries.
Ontario is a two division, 10 ten league that plays 18-a-side. Most of Canada plays 18-a-side.
Canada has made huge advances in school and junior competition but yes, they're probably modified to suit (just like in Australia).
The DAFL started the ball rolling in Scandinavia and has led to Australian Football being played in neighbouring Sweden, Finland, Iceland and Norway.
There are many formats of football in Scandinavia which accommodates men, women and juniors. Currently a lot of football is played indoors because of the weather. They people are so keen to play football that they fork out the money to play indoors. It would be interesting to sees who plays the best indoors - Australia or the rest of the world.
The UK under the BARFL no longer exists. When Australians bowed to pressure and allowed other formats the game exploded in the U.K. to such an extent that Wales and Scotland formed their own leagues. As for England there are a number of leagues. The top leagues are definitely 18-a-side, the social leagues, the womens leagues, the regional leagues and now the university leagues - I'm not sure about.

Australia plays Australian Football in 18-a-side, 16-a-side, modified, junior, women's as well as many other formats.
The legal minimum is 14-a-side so numbers mean little. 9-a-side football is much more intense than 18-a-side.
That is the case for clubs overseas.
The U.S.A. arguably started the most popular arrangement. The U.S.A. has 44 clubs. Those clubs play 18-a-side against each other.
Just about all of those clubs have what's called Metro leagues. These metro leagues usually play 9-a-side but again there is also, women's football, mixed football, junior football and flag football etc. The yanks even developed their own brand of introductory football called Ausball.
The proportional increase in 9-a-side football actually indicates expansion, improvement and a better standard of 18-a-side football.
Deutschland consists of it's main league playing 16-a-side and a developmental league. Now, many of the clubs have their own metro leagues. There is also women's football.

if you want a serious discussion about the status of Australian Football around the world I would certainly welcome that but please
stop the pathetically lame trolling and ask some serious questions if you can.

My original point was that no league overseas can thrive without Australian input.
1. Firstly, you have reduced the number of leagues we are talking about (because most of your examples don't even have leagues) - so that effectively supports my argument; and
2. The very few examples you are able to use, to justify the word "thrive", ALL have had significant Australian input (and continue to have it to varying degrees) - once again, supporting my argument.
The whole way through, you are supporting my argument that no overseas leagues can "thrive" without significant Australian input.
And if you don't understand what "Australian input" means, then you don't know as much about these leagues you are quoting as you think, whereas I have been following these leagues for over 15 years, I know plenty about them. I know they ALL have had significant Australian input at different times, and for the most part, they need it to keep developing, when they lose that connection, invariably, they go backwards - that Australian connection needs constant regeneration.
To be honest, why on Earth would anyone try and argue the opposite to that. Do you actually believe our game can take off somewhere in the world in a complete vacuum? History tells us that's not the case, and can never be the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back