Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
28. North Melbourne: Elijah Taylor (WA)
Height, Weight:
185cm/75kg
Profile: Instinctive forward with speed and tricks around goal. Possesses good skills and is composed, evasive and dangerous aerially.

29. North Melbourne: Dylan Williams (VIC)
Height, Weight:
185cm/79kg
Profile: Talented forward and midfielder who hurts opponents aerially and at ground level. Projecting as a top-five selection this time last year, Williams has battled injury and form in 2019 which has limited his output.

_RT_

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
28. North Melbourne: Elijah Taylor (WA)
Height, Weight:
185cm/75kg
Profile: Instinctive forward with speed and tricks around goal. Possesses good skills and is composed, evasive and dangerous aerially.

29. North Melbourne: Dylan Williams (VIC)
Height, Weight:
185cm/79kg
Profile: Talented forward and midfielder who hurts opponents aerially and at ground level. Projecting as a top-five selection this time last year, Williams has battled injury and form in 2019 which has limited his output.

_RT_

2 very handy pick ups there wrennyboy , Taylor specially but little bemused with the Williams selection with the players already at the Roo's and is a similar size type to Garner , Wood ,Taylor , Turner all playing that mid sized foward role. I would have been looking at a small foward type player

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
2 very handy pick ups there wrennyboy , Taylor specially but little bemused with the Williams selection with the players already at the Roo's and is a similar size type to Garner , Wood ,Taylor , Turner all playing that mid sized foward role. I would have been looking at a small foward type player
I think that with Hall being 29 and Higgins nearing retirement that they are perfect replacements for them. Taylor and Williams are better than Turner and Wood they have in the forward line at the moment. Both should be able to play HF, Wing and HB in the seniors over time so having that flexibility and class will compliment their upcoming inside midfielders in Thomas, LDU, Simpkin and Scott.

With pick 30 Adeladie selects

Jay Rantall 185cm 83kg Balanced Midfielder

An elite runner who racks up disposals, contested possessions, clearances & tackles, Rantall rounds out the Crows restocking of the midfield unit. In 12 games for the GWV Rebels he averaged 24.9 disposals 11.5 contested possessions 6.6 clearances 6.5 tackles& 1 goal a game. Along with Flanders and Philp he gives the Crows a nice group of young midfielders to build on for the future.

Rioli2Rioli is up for the Bombers.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Essendon pick #31
Harrison Jones Calder Cannons 194cm 75kg

With the issues the bombers have in kp stocks will need to be replenished and the best player available at this pick in my opinion is jones who can play both foward and defence.

AFL Draft Central - write up
"25/02/2001 | 196cm/78kg | Key Position Utility CALDER CANNONS/VIC METRO
(again with thanks to AFL Draft Central)
"The key position forward has really upped his game in 2019 to include key position defender and ruck in his repertoire. The ultimate utility, Jones moves well around the ground and finds space, but is a beanpole at 194cm and just 75kg. He is a long-term prospect, but with his long kick and ability to hit the scoreboard from long range, Jones is an eyecatcher who will likely land at a club somewhere in the second round."

Definitely a beanpole, project type, but perhaps just what is required. Slow burn, high ceiling type with bona fides at both ends of the ground. Moves away from the Country safer pick model adopted by Brisbane, but perhaps the time is right. Notably the text in the Draft Central profile lists him 2cm shorter than the official heights from the combine. The lad is still growing.
Accepted 04

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Essendon pick #31
Harrison Jones Calder Cannons 194cm 75kg

With the issues the bombers have in kp stocks will need to be replenished and the best player available at this pick in my opinion is jones who can play both foward and defence.

AFL Draft Central - write up
"25/02/2001 | 196cm/78kg | Key Position Utility CALDER CANNONS/VIC METRO
(again with thanks to AFL Draft Central)
"The key position forward has really upped his game in 2019 to include key position defender and ruck in his repertoire. The ultimate utility, Jones moves well around the ground and finds space, but is a beanpole at 194cm and just 75kg. He is a long-term prospect, but with his long kick and ability to hit the scoreboard from long range, Jones is an eyecatcher who will likely land at a club somewhere in the second round."

Definitely a beanpole, project type, but perhaps just what is required. Slow burn, high ceiling type with bona fides at both ends of the ground. Moves away from the Country safer pick model adopted by Brisbane, but perhaps the time is right. Notably the text in the Draft Central profile lists him 2cm shorter than the official heights from the combine. The lad is still growing.
Accepted 04

Could take 4 years to become a regular at AFL level , Needs to add 20kgs to play the role , But could be good timing with Hurley being 29

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
How does Pick 67 get upgraded 10 spots?
The last pick used to match gets downgraded by the points left over during matching, not have the next pick upgraded by what's left over.
I think you're correct. If their first matching pick has more points than required, then excess goes into "the bank" for the next time they need to match points, which may not be until future drafts.
The excess points don't upgrade the next pick.

I think you're correct. If their first matching pick has more points than required, then excess goes into "the bank" for the next time they need to match points, which may not be until future drafts.
The excess points get allocated to the pick later in the draft, unless the club hasn't got an open slot, in which case it goes to a bank

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
That rule only relates to using a 1st round pick to match, ie: GWS matching a bid on Greene at 4 means they have to use their 1st rnd pick (6) to match, leaves them 170pts in excess but that carries over to the end of the draft and if not used then banked for future years. If, however, they trade that pick 6 for later picks (after the 1st rnd)and before a bid on Greene is made, then any excess pts can be used to upgrade leftover later picks. It's one of the reasons I was surprised to see them trade up to pick 6 in the first place, I would have thought that they would keep their powder dry and manipulate picks after the bid came in, which they can do.

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The excess points get allocated to the pick later in the draft, unless the club hasn't got an open slot, in which case it goes to a bank
That rule only relates to using a 1st round pick to match, ie: GWS matching a bid on Greene at 4 means they have to use their 1st rnd pick (6) to match, leaves them 170pts in excess but that carries over to the end of the draft and if not used then banked for future years. If, however, they trade that pick 6 for later picks (after the 1st rnd)and before a bid on Greene is made, then any excess pts can be used to upgrade leftover later picks. It's one of the reasons I was surprised to see them trade up to pick 6 in the first place, I would have thought that they would keep their powder dry and manipulate picks after the bid came in, which they can do.
Thanks for the clarification, points banked only in first round.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Essendon pick #33 Jake Riccardi
Probably selected a little early here but didnt want to miss out with the bombers next pick in the 60's and the pies being a threat

Pick 33 Jake Riccardi 195cm 90kg Key Forward Werribee

The penny has dropped for the 20 year old from St Bernard’s.
Jake has gone from showing moments and 5 minute bursts at tac level to really impact games playing against men.
Riccardi kicked 38 goals this season and was also high on goal assists.
He can jump, play high and use his athleticism and kicks the footy well.
Jake has a strong build which will continue to develop.
Ground balls could be cleaner and perhaps greater physicality could be inserted in his game but pretty good value here I would have thought.

Rationale for Pick
I expect the bombers will lose Daniher.
Essendon hopefully will take this as an opportunity to move to a systems based forward 6 rather than relying on star power.

write up thanks to foji1 on the drafts board

wrennyboy

Last edited:

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
34. Brisbane: Cameron Taheny (SA)
Height, Weight:
185cm/80kg
Profile: A strong marking forward who does his best work close to goal. Taheny doesn't need much of the ball to hit the scoreboard heavily.

Collingwood is up next whoever wants to pick for them.

Back