Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

I'm counting down the selections til mine. One by one.

Hoping like hell my two preferences last to my pick.

It's a nervous wait.

I feel like a real recruiter. Minus the experience, knowledge, insight, talent-spotting nous, responsibility and reputation risk, of course. But apart from that, it's just like the real thing!

SOSage Mcgovern

Debutant
Sep 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 74 Rich: Isaac Wareham

A low disposal winner, Wareham has a high impact per possession and is a
good size at 187cm. He can play just about anywhere, but his top kicking
skills and composure suit him in a half-back or wing role. A strong runner
and comes from a cricket background, showing he is more than capable
at multiple sports. Missed the end of the year due to injury, but one of the youngest players with a December birthday, so high scope for the future.

Could potentially play at halfback after Houli retires or on the wing considering Ellis, Grigg and Menadue are all off the Tigers list and will be looking for more outside midfielders. Really enjoyed watching him in the last quarter of Vic country vs WA and even though he needs to improve on his consistency he has the talent.

Over to Wickzki

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

It's a nervous wait.

I feel like a real recruiter. Minus the experience, knowledge, insight, talent-spotting nous, responsibility and reputation risk, of course. But apart from that, it's just like the real thing!

At the very least Ferris, the participation gives you a bit of extra incentive to endure through another football night with a McLaughlin shoved in our face, to see if the actual recruiters get it as right as you/we did.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 74 Rich: Isaac Wareham

A low disposal winner, Wareham has a high impact per possession and is a
good size at 187cm. He can play just about anywhere, but his top kicking
skills and composure suit him in a half-back or wing role. A strong runner
and comes from a cricket background, showing he is more than capable
at multiple sports. Missed the end of the year due to injury, but one of the youngest players with a December birthday, so high scope for the future.

Could potentially play at halfback after Houli retires or on the wing considering Ellis, Grigg and Menadue are all off the Tigers list and will be looking for more outside midfielders. Really enjoyed watching him in the last quarter of Vic country vs WA and even though he needs to improve on his consistency he has the talent.

Over to Wickzki

Like it SOSage.

The 2 rucks, Bryan and Comben, and then Honey and Wareham are the few current 40/50 +ers that i like to certain extents. The 2 rucks definately worth a shot and i'd have a crack at the other two.

SOSage Mcgovern

Debutant
Sep 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Like it SOSage.

The 2 rucks, Bryan and Comben, and then Honey and Wareham are the few current 40/50 +ers that i like to certain extents. The 2 rucks definately worth a shot and i'd have a crack at the other two.
I'd be very happy to give Honey or Wareham a crack at 57 for Carlton

Jimmae -- I offered Arr0w to finish out the picks.

If there's no one here he would like to highlight then I'm led to believe the Suns get their 4 in the 20 (or move 15 and 20 up into one better pick) and then pass.

What's their list position like?

SOSage Mcgovern

Debutant
Sep 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

If there's no one here he would like to highlight then I'm led to believe the Suns get their 4 in the 20 (or move 15 and 20 up into one better pick) and then pass.

Not sure on how it quite works but I would imagine Gold coast take Budarick here but does he slide to this pick or does he get bid on and Gold coast just use this pick to move up regardless of points?

Not sure on how it quite works but I would imagine Gold coast take Budarick here but does he slide to this pick or does he get bid on and Gold coast just use this pick to move up regardless of points?

Budarick is already listed. They don't need to draft in their academy players anymore as that was part of the "rescue" package.

Matthew Conroy and Malcolm Rosas Jr too.

SOSage Mcgovern

Debutant
Sep 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Budarick is already listed. They don't need to draft in their academy players anymore as that was part of the "rescue" package.

Matthew Conroy and Malcolm Rosas Jr too.
Geez thats pretty rough for Budarick. Deserves to be on the main list, hope he is compensated fairly

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

This pick would be your final list spot. I think GCS can pre-list academy players on their rookie list?

Last edited:

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Cubs, FC Brugge
So in looking above at Wickzki it looks like my pick....if not sorry for jumping the gun by a pick - details below

It's a nervous wait.

I match that lack of experience, knowledge, insight, talent spotting nous, responsibility and reputation risk ......and ....hope I haven’t put a spanner in your plans, because at pick 76 Fremantle place a bid on Bigoa Nyuon

ferrisb no doubt you’ve put a lot of scouting time into your NGA, what say you ???

This pick would be your final list spot.

I can see the Suns using it as a supplemental listing. With their pre-draft listings they'll already have 7 kids in. To keep it going I'll pass.

Geez thats pretty rough for Budarick. Deserves to be on the main list, hope he is compensated fairly

They are on the main list, I believe. They have an extended list now on top of the normal AFL lists (being treated like an expansion club). They just don't have to be drafted.

If he's good enough to play 2020 he's good to go (no "sorry, you're not eligible") and gets equivalent salary to a draftee.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I can see the Suns using it as a supplemental listing. With their pre-draft listings they'll already have 7 kids in. To keep it going I'll pass.
They'd be going harder on DFAs and the PSD I suspect. I think their academy kids can be pre-listed onto the rookie list.

Back