Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed but not surprised you have decided to match here Coona Blues. Not sure a bid comes before here on draft night but I feel Brisbane will happily match in this range.

I am in the mood for another bid so I will put in a bid here for Jackson Mead.

Over to TerryWallet who I suspect will be very happy to match at this point of the draft.

Disappointed but not surprised you have decided to match here Coona Blues. Not sure a bid comes before here on draft night but I feel Brisbane will happily match in this range.

I am in the mood for another bid so I will put in a bid here for Jackson Mead.

Over to TerryWallet who I suspect will be very happy to match at this point of the draft.
He's already said he'll match any bid the last time he picked.

Bid matched.
Pick 42 - Brisbane - Noah Cumberland

A tad earlier than hoped, but very highly rated internally. Will add write up.
Jeremias
AFL Draft Central bio
15/03/2001 | 183cm/79kg | Medium Utility BRISBANE LIONS ACADEMY/ALLIES

After overcoming injury last year, Cumberland has been a surprise packet this season who has caught the eye with his dashing runs and great agility. Playing for the Allies at the Under-18 Championships, Cumberland was a tackling machine, averaging almost five per game, while being able to take the game on and cut up the opposition defence. With his combination of athleticism and desire, he has the makings of a top player.

Just too much talent and upside to allow the academy prospect to go elsewhere. Would make a mockery of the process if I passed. An excellent addition to the team, who could be moulded in to a number of roles. Versatility an excellent asset in an already balanced list.
You give up pick 47 & 73

You get pick 42 and pick 63

Yes. Matched Jeremias.
You give up picks 68, 69 & 70, and will have 34 points deducted from your 3rd round pick in the 2020 draft

You get pick 43, and exit the draft (no more list spots)

I suspect the above won't actually happen on draft night, as there's obviously still some list finalisation and pick trades to be done.

Sorry for the delay. This is a tough decision as my best available isn't a need. And what I see as our needs I think can be addressed with a few players I've got my eye on at a later stage.

So after going back and forth I'm going to go with my gut and pick who I think is the best player. And that player is...

Pick 44 - Carlton - Riley Garcia

Not sure many will like this pick given he doesn't fill a need but my mantra is you can never have enough good footballers.

And that's exactly what I think Riley could become. He's coming off a serious knee injury but unlike previous years there's no need to rush him into the senior side and we can give him ample time to recover.

Riley certainly ticks the most boxes at this stage for mine.

+ Skills
+ Contested work
+ Endurance

- Size

He's only pint-sized at 177cm but the boy can seriously play, and I think recruiters are learning albeit slowly that size isn't necessarily everything.

Reminds me a fair bit of Zac Fisher - good skills, loves the tough stuff, has really good hands in tight. Not as quick as Fish but he does have some pace.

Not sure how our midfield would look with him in there alongside what we've got currently but he's a player to stash in the recovery room and see how much his game and body develops over the next couple of years. I think he can be a good footballer in the right environment.

Over to you windows1

Sorry for the delay. It's a tough decision here as my best available isn't necessarily a need.

It's a tough decision here as my best available isn't a need. And what I see as our needs I think can be addressed with a few players I've got my eye on at a later stage.

So after going back and forth I'm going to go with my gut and pick who I think is the best player. And that player is...

Pick 44 - Carlton - Riley Garcia

Not sure many will like this pick given he doesn't fill a need but my mantra is you can never have enough good footballers.

And that's exactly what I think Riley could become. He's coming off a serious knee injury but unlike previous years there's no need to rush him into the senior side and we can give him ample time to recover.

Riley certainly ticks the most boxes at this stage for mine.

+ Skills
+ Contested work
+ Endurance

- Size

He's only pint-sized at 177cm but the boy can seriously play, and I think recruiters are learning albeit slowly that size isn't necessarily everything.

Reminds me a fair bit of Zac Fisher - good skills, loves the tough stuff, has really good hands in tight. Not as quick as Fish but he does have some pace.

Not sure how our midfield would look with him in there alongside what we've got currently but he's a player to stash in the recovery room and see how much his game and body develops over the next couple of years. I think he can be a good footballer in the right environment.

Over to you windows1
I literally can not ******* believe that

I hate you Jeremias. You make me wait then take my player.

Anyway....doing a ‘Lemmingmaster’ here. Going for a player who will add depth and be that 22-30 player on the list rather than go for the total hit or miss prospect.

Sydney selects Ryan Byrnes. Not overly anything really this guy.....except he gets the football. 20 a game in his bottom age year says a lot in my view. Up to 25 this year. I saw a bit of him in the Sandy games I watched due to every man and his dog talking about their ‘boom’ players. He’s the one who actually gets the ball. Not watches other people get it (yeah I’m talking about you Miles Bergman- get a kick mate).

He’s a solid player. Decent size. Decent pace. He’s an average kick. But Worpel has me convinced this can be improved.

I really don’t like juniors who don’t get the footy. This kid doesn’t have that problem. At worst I think he adds to depth.

Anyway....doing a ‘Lemmingmaster’ here. Going for a player who will add depth and be that 22-30 player on the list rather than go for the total hit or miss prospect.

Sydney selects Ryan Byrnes. Not overly anything really this guy.....except he gets the football. 20 a game in his bottom age year says a lot in my view. Up to 25 this year. I saw a bit of him in the Sandy games I watched due to every man and his dog talking about their ‘boom’ players. He’s the one who actually gets the ball. Not watches other people get it (yeah I’m talking about you Miles Bergman- get a kick mate).

He’s a solid player. Decent size. Decent pace. He’s an average kick. But Worpel has me convinced this can be improved.

I really don’t like juniors who don’t get the footy. This kid doesn’t have that problem. At worst I think he adds to depth.
Sin City

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think i like you windows. Got a way with words. Livened the joint up a bit. Likes talkin' s**t about footy. Talks footy. Likes giving your opinions. Humour.

Pick 46 - Adelaide - Jake Riccardi

While this is a bit of an indicator of how I rate this year's juniors, there are still four under 18's players I like but none were suitable for the Crows list. I've managed to give the Crows a bit of a mini rebuild this offseason after they traded in a ruck, I've picked a KPD and now a KPF that they can develop while still picking guys with star power like Stephens and Taheny.

Riccardi would have time to develop at the Crows while sitting behind Walker, Lynch, Fogarty and Himmelberg but it's almost the perfect club for him to land at with the way they develop players in the SANFL. Doedee and O'Brien in recent years are great examples of this.

Riccardi had a breakout year in the VFL kicking 38 goals as a 19 year old which was good enough for second in the league. He has a strong pair of hands and is a good kick for goal, not the greatest athlete but is fairly mobile.

Won the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell award this year as the VFL's best young player, the previous 13 winners have all ended up being drafted.

gandaal

Pick 48 North Melbourne.

Karl Finlay ... SA.
192cm ... 88kg.

Finlay is a KPD that North would like to secure.
Whilst not a giant at 192cm, Finlay excels in the air whether it be contested marking, intercepting or spoiling.
Finlay reads the play well, has already played SANFL and is also highly regarded as a leader.

Sin City

Pick 49 - Adelaide - Luke Partington

I didn't rate this guy at all a few years back, didn't see him as an AFL player and I was kind of proven right when West Coast delisted him although in fairness it's a hard midfield to force your way into.

He's a completely different player now, a magarey medal winning on baller at 22 years old, still has good skills and is still a good scorer for a mid but he's a serious ball winner now. 29.5 disposals a game for Glenelg, he's the ideal replacement for Cam Ellis-Yolmen. Known as a gut runner, classy handballer in traffic with a good goal sense.

That's Adelaide done, we've managed to land some highly rated medium sized players with class, some KPPs to develop for the future and a mid who could contribute straight away. There are still four under 18 players I rate so I'm very interested to see where they go.

Red Bull

Pick 50 North Melbourne.

Charlie Comben ... Vic country.
199cm ... 84kg.

Comben is an athletic, versatile ruckman who is good around the ground and in the air whilst also happy to scrap on the ground.
Comben is also very capable playing forward which adds another string to his bow.

Not sure if any dwarfs or schoolgirls are in this draft but all the best with the saints ferrisb

Pick 50 North Melbourne.

Charlie Comben ... Vic country.
199cm ... 84kg.

Comben is an athletic, versatile ruckman who is good around the ground and in the air whilst also happy to scrap on the ground.
Comben is also very capable playing forward which adds another string to his bow.

Not sure if any dwarfs or schoolgirls are in this draft but all the best with the saints ferrisb
OK so the one and only ferrisb liked the post a half hour ago, but didn't offer a selection. Curiouser and curiouser…...

Zzzzzzz......*startled* Huh? Wha? *wipes drool from face* Where am I? What, there's a draft on this year? Are the Saints invited?

OK, so the party is basically over by now, the music has been turned off and most people have passed out on the couches. But they say 51 is the new 21. Not sure who they are, though....

This has been a bit weird. I have tried not to get too attached to players, as I knew I would be waiting a long time for my turn. I feel like a carnival ride operator, running the duck shoot game. A dozen picks ago an olympic marksman rocked up with his own rifle and the targets went down, one-by-*******-one.

I went to bed last night just before midnight, confident I would land my main 'slider' target, Charlie Comben. And then BAM.....To quote windows1 .....
I literally can not ******* believe that

So, where does that leave me? Saints have a relatively balanced list, although lacking in quality in a few areas. The main shortfall to me is their ruck division.

Marshall burst onto the scene this year and is top shelf. But there is almost nothing behind him. The Saints delisted Billy Longer and Lewis Pierce. Yes, they picked up Paddy Ryder but I see him as VERY short-term. Ryder aside, the only other ruck on the list is Sam Alabakis - a 22yo Cat B rookie who is yet to play a game (and may never).

Comben would have been perfect as the Saints are also light on in the KPF. Plus with Marshall as main ruck, a ruck-fwd would be perfect for team balance. But with him now unavailable....St Kilda selects.....Nick Bryan

Nick Bryan
Position
: Ruck
Height: 202 cm
Weight: 87kg
Teams: Oakleigh, Vic Metro
Summary (AFL Draft Central): A developing ruck who has terrific athleticism and a high ceiling, Bryan just needs to build his consistency and have more of a presence around the ground to further build his game

Bryan is a phenomenal athlete. He was top 10 in standing a running leap at the combine. And in pre-season testing, he ran a 2.91 sec 20m sprint (!!!!), a time which would have been 3rd fastest at the national combine this year. He needs to work on his consistency, but improved as the season went on and increased his possession rate. His output in the NAB finals was his best for the year, which is a great sign.

He is very raw, and will take a few years to develop. But that suits the Saints fine. Marshall is the main main. Ryder will give them a couple of years' support of backup ruck-fwd and when he retires, hopefully Bryan has made some (very long) strides.

OK.....I'm off for another nap. Wake me up when it's time for the Saints' next pick in Rhys Palmer trade territory....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back