Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Boom

What does the old pane do? The ole windowmeister. Mr transparent himself...
With pick 6....in the 2019 National Draft....

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 6, Sydney select Sam Flanders

I have a pretty simple rule. If you are to be in the ‘could be anything’ category you HAVE to have great hands. And that Sam does. Superb reflexes. Doesn’t fumble. Great hands below knees and above head. Is capable of freakish things. Is in the Toby Greene/Robbie Gray style of player. I think he’s a very dangerous forward. More so than a mid but can do that too. Tom Papley can piss off to Carlton for all we care. One year in then system and this kid will be on fire. He has pace and power. I think he looks a technically good kick but perhaps blazes away a bit. His endurance seems a bit lacking but I suspect will improve. I think he will thrive in the professional Sydney environment.

I won’t at all be surprised if he ends up the second (behind Green) or third (behind Rowell) best player from this draft.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I reckon the Ole D7 will blow us away and pick a WA kid here.....

I’m already winning btw. I feel sorry for the rest of those drafting. Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight....

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
That basically swaps your last pick (94) for 52 as you move up and lock him in.

Pick 6, Sydney select Sam Flanders

I have a pretty simple rule. If you are to be in the ‘could be anything’ category you HAVE to have great hands. And that Sam does. Superb reflexes. Doesn’t fumble. Great hands below knees and above head. Is capable of freakish things. Is in the Toby Greene/Robbie Gray style of player. I think he’s a very dangerous forward. More so than a mid but can do that too. Tom Papley can piss off to Carlton for all we care. One year in then system and this kid will be on fire. He has pace and power. I think he looks a technically good kick but perhaps blazes away a bit. His endurance seems a bit lacking but I suspect will improve. I think he will thrive in the professional Sydney environment.

I won’t at all be surprised if he ends up the second (behind Green) or third (behind Rowell) best player from this draft.
The Dominator7, you're up.

Last edited:

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Cubs, FC Brugge
Sorry - been out all morning, will be on the ball for the next pick.

Deven Robertson for Freo

7DA20D02-2E40-4BE8-8E23-8DA0D7B8F6D4.jpeg

Why Robertson?
It’s nice when talent and needs and homegrown combine, and that’s what Freo have here with Robertson. They have a couple of gaps after losing outside speed with Langdon and Hill, and Mundy doesn’t have long left in the game as that strong inside mid and from memory played fwd more last season.

I have to admit if Dylan Stephens was still on the board I would have picked him and then hoped Robertson made it to my next pick, but that decision was made for me.

esoteric

Last edited:

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bastard !!!!!

I knew this was coming up I really am torn here and would love to know what Freo are considering.

On one hand I really like him, lots of SPS in his movement and beautifully clean hands, but on the other hand my head says “don’t spend a top 10 pick on a small fwd” as it’s a lot to pay for a small forward who may be able to move into the midfield without having a huge sample size to assess.

This happening on draft night is a very real scenario and I bet my arse Freo are looking to trade down if it eventuates.

Without the benefit of live trading, I’m not matching, he’s yours......but in the real thing I’m trading out of this spot to avoid this exact scenario and I would match with other picks....so in fantasy land I’ll now spend the next couple of seasons convincing him to come home for family reasons :)

Jeremias over to you to pick for the Blues my friend !!!

Bastard !!!!!

I knew this was coming up I really am torn here and would love to know what Freo are considering.

On one hand I really like him, lots of SPS in his movement and beautifully clean hands, but on the other hand my head says “don’t spend a top 10 pick on a small fwd” as it’s a lot to pay for a small forward who may be able to move into the midfield without having a huge sample size to assess.

This happening on draft night is a very real scenario and I bet my arse Freo are looking to trade down if it eventuates.

Without the benefit of live trading, I’m not matching, he’s yours......but in the real thing I’m trading out of this spot to avoid this exact scenario and I would match with other picks....so in fantasy land I’ll now spend the next couple of seasons convincing him to come home for family reasons :)

Jeremias over to you to pick for the Blues my friend !!!
Hey mate, you’re in a tough spot here. With the news yesterday that we can trade our pick AFTER a bid comes on Henry as long as it’s in the timeframe we really have no problem matching regardless of where the bid comes.

We’ll have contingency trades set up depending on where a bid comes so all you can do here is go with your rankings which I agree with.

You were spot on with wanting Stephens, most of the Freo board is dead keen

OK. The pressure is well and truly on here...I can feel the eyes of the forum watching me very closely.

I love the idea of trading this pick on draft night and if the draft pans out as it has here then I'd expect there to be a few clubs very keen on moving up the draft board.

There are a number of prospects still on the board that I'd be comfortable picking here, so I'd expect at least one to still be there at whatever pick we were to hold after trading.

I would 100% have put in a bid for Henry at this pick but alas was beaten to the punch. It would not at all surprise if we put a bid in when the real thing comes around, and I would expect Fremantle to match any bid in this range.

There's probably 4 prospects I'm considering here:

1) A clear slider. Tempting but I'm not seeing the appeal, given he's not a great kick nor is he particularly quick

2) A ruckman who I am putting a line through for Carlton despite being very highly rated. Watch for clubs needing a ruck prospect to be very keen on this pick.

3) A utility who looks to be a seriously impressive athlete at his height, a contested bull...but ultimately too big a risk for me given he's coming off a serious knee injury.

4) A medium running defender with blistering pace and arguably the best skills in this draft class.

And I'm going to lock in option number 4 thanks Eddie.

Pick 9 - Carlton - Lachie Ash

Dylan Stephens is my #1 choice at this pick but I'll very happily settle for Ash who looks to have plenty going for him as a young footballer.

+ Elite disposal
+ Vision and decision making
+ Pace and inclination to use it
+ Endurance

Ticks a lot of boxes already and I think he's a great fit for us. Sure there are things he needs to work on but basically, if you've got the above mentioned things on your side, I think you're a really strong chance of having a very good career at AFL level.

The main query appears to be whether he'll be able to transition to a role further up the ground but I think we place too much emphasis on what players (particularly young footballers) can't do as opposed to what they can do and do well.

I think he's a very viable option here even if we're not sure whether he has the scope to move up onto a wing.

Looks to be a very similar player to Simmo and being able to spend a year or two learning off him is a massive bonus.

Back to The Dominator7

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pick 11 - Freo - Brodie Kemp

0137875B-AEDB-4595-B9A3-D23277D1806B.jpeg

In picking Kemp, yes I am concerned about picking a guy rehabbing a knee, especially in his first year at an interstate club when rehab can be a lonely place.....but the upside is juicey!!

Providing no Balicness shows up in his interviews and all is OK on the medical front, this is a 10 year selection, not a 1 year selection and I can’t go past this guy’s positional versatility, burst speed, clean hands and ability to take some big contested marks when forward.

Imagine if you only had ANOTHER 192cm bull with beautiful hands running around in your midfield and outmarking opponents when going fwd to learn from.... :think:....oh wait.

There were 2 other popular Top 10 candidates discussed in the media that I did consider here, and I concede Jackson is very appealing as a local....but here’s why I didn’t go there
  • Jackson - local and talented and could well be on Freo’s board here, but in looking at the list I’m happy with a young Darcy and Lobb as back-up, with Taberner (part time) and Meek (developing) in reserve. If I’m concerned about Darcy’s development or going home, maybe I take Jackson, but Darcy signed a new deal recently so no signs of it....it’s a bloody hard decision though!!!
  • Serong - nope, I can’t see this for Freo at all and happy to bypass him. I’m concerned about his role at the next level. Yes he’s a tough inside mid... against kids...but at 178cm with average speed, he’s battling the odds for mine....I’m not seeing an elite trait with him, hell maybe it’s me but happy to look elsewhere.

Hey mate, you’re in a tough spot here. With the news yesterday that we can trade our pick AFTER a bid comes on Henry as long as it’s in the timeframe we really have no problem matching regardless of where the bid comes.

We’ll have contingency trades set up depending on where a bid comes so all you can do here is go with your rankings which I agree with.

Yep you’re 100% there on Henry - with live pick trading an option in reality, I’m downgrading/splitting this pick and matching. I love the way the kid plays.

Probably means my Phantom selection of Kemp at this pick doesn’t materialise though :p

I reckon the stars have aligned in 2019 for you guys, a really good draft hand picks wise combined with a really talented U18 WA side. Freo have the opportunity to set the club up with some good home grown talent for the next decade. I have no doubt they will trade this pick down and match if a bid comes early for Henry - you could end up snagging Robertson, Henry and still have picks to potentially get Rivers, Jackson, Sharp or another slider from your draft board.

EDIT - over to SonOfColin

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton

I had no idea you can trade after a bid, that is massively helpful for you guys and even GWS.
Even bigger next year with a heap of bids coming for players.

I had no idea you can trade after a bid, that is massively helpful for you guys and even GWS.
Even bigger next year with a heap of bids coming for players.
Yeah, no one (in the general public at least) seems to have been aware of it, its such a ridiculous boost to clubs with highly rated academy players. There is no risk anymore since you set things up with other clubs who want to move up the order (and most want to move up the order) if a bid comes in.

I can only assume its so the AFL can have a more engrossing draft night because its a pretty dumb rule in my book.

SonOfColin

Debutant
Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 12 - Hawthorn - Fischer McAsey:

Thanks you Dominator... Definitely wanted Kemp here.

McAsey is the best key position player in the draft. He can play both ends and actually beat Rowell and Anderson for the best Vic Metro player award this year.

Hawthorn need more long term KPP’s, and McAsay can beat his man one on one and takes a great mark.

He is also a good kick so should fit in well at Hawthorn.

Next up TerryWallet

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Pick 11 - Freo - Brodie Kemp

View attachment 776326

In picking Kemp, yes I am concerned about picking a guy rehabbing a knee, especially in his first year at an interstate club when rehab can be a lonely place.....but the upside is juicey!!

Providing no Balicness shows up in his interviews and all is OK on the medical front, this is a 10 year selection, not a 1 year selection and I can’t go past this guy’s positional versatility, burst speed, clean hands and ability to take some big contested marks when forward.

Imagine if you only had ANOTHER 192cm bull with beautiful hands running around in your midfield and outmarking opponents when going fwd to learn from.... :think:....oh wait.

There were 2 other popular Top 10 candidates discussed in the media that I did consider here, and I concede Jackson is very appealing as a local....but here’s why I didn’t go there
  • Jackson - local and talented and could well be on Freo’s board here, but in looking at the list I’m happy with a young Darcy and Lobb as back-up, with Taberner (part time) and Meek (developing) in reserve. If I’m concerned about Darcy’s development or going home, maybe I take Jackson, but Darcy signed a new deal recently so no signs of it....it’s a bloody hard decision though!!!
  • Serong - nope, I can’t see this for Freo at all and happy to bypass him. I’m concerned about his role at the next level. Yes he’s a tough inside mid... against kids...but at 178cm with average speed, he’s battling the odds for mine....I’m not seeing an elite trait with him, hell maybe it’s me but happy to look elsewhere.

Yep you’re 100% there on Henry - with live pick trading an option in reality, I’m downgrading/splitting this pick and matching. I love the way the kid plays.

Probably means my Phantom selection of Kemp at this pick doesn’t materialise though :p

I reckon the stars have aligned in 2019 for you guys, a really good draft hand picks wise combined with a really talented U18 WA side. Freo have the opportunity to set the club up with some good home grown talent for the next decade. I have no doubt they will trade this pick down and match if a bid comes early for Henry - you could end up snagging Robertson, Henry and still have picks to potentially get Rivers, Jackson, Sharp or another slider from your draft board.

EDIT - over to SonOfColin
Pick 12 - Hawthorn - Fischer McAsey:

Thanks you Dominator... Definitely wanted Kemp here.

McAsey is the best key position player in the draft. He can play both ends and actually beat Rowell and Anderson for the best Vic Metro player award this year.

Hawthorn need more long term KPP’s, and McAsay can beat his man one on one and takes a great mark.

He is also a good kick so should fit in well at Hawthorn.

Next up TerryWallet
Dominator's mucked this up twice now: these were picks 10 and 11.

Back