Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 18 - Sam De Koning
Brother of The King. Geelong will need another giant down back in a few years, and De Koning projects as a long-term option. The other option is for him to be developed as a ruck/forward like his brother - which the Catters could also do with.

TerryWallet
Nice pick. I think he’s under rated. Very clean. Good skills. Great spoiler. I like him a lot.

Would love Carlton to be active again this year and trade for a pick in this range.

Pick 14-20 for a slide of 1sts next year would suit just fine, as we did last year with the Stocker trade.

Sadly, I don't see SOS being given the power to make such a good trade.

Would absolutely pull the trigger with Geelong at pick 18 if they were up for it though.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 19 Port: Dylan Williams

Imo what Dylan Williams showed last year was pretty much better than what any kid showed this year bar Matt Rowell. He looked Class with a capital C. 26 goals including 14 snags where it counts, in the Finals. 5 in the GF. He is an uncanny goalkicker. Even this year he kicked 16 from 7 games in the NAB.

Speaking of this year, it was a year for him to pretty much forget. My read on it is he started off slowly, probably due to a bit of mental laziness while waiting for the bigger games later on. But the bigger games didn't come, due to injury. There's a lesson right there probably. Got a groin injury in the first Champs game and then a back stress fracture finished off his year. I liken his year to our own Charlie's year. But Charlie aint lost his ability and hunger to get back on the big stage right? Some kids live for it.

I've had him rated high all year. As he kept dropping lower in most phantoms it's only natural to start 2nd guessing...is his attitude no good? is he not dedicated? is he losing the eye of the tiger? is his injury a bad one...there wasn't much news around. But recently we have got some answers. His injury is looking fine and progressing well enough that he was training for Oakleighs finals but they pulled him out to complete the rehab without incident. We've also learned that during rehab he has got into his best shape yet and dropped 10 points in skinfold and improved his strength.

So i'm happy enough with that. This is a big time talent and player imo who i think will only get fitter and more complete in AFL training. At 186 and 80+kg he is great overhead and great on the deck. I'd love to see him play deep.

Also Port have apparently been into him so that's a little bonus. They've drafted a few Oakleigh kids.

SOSage Mcgovern for the Tugs i believe

SOSage Mcgovern

Debutant
Sep 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 20 Rich: Cooper Stephens

The Geelong Falcons co-captain had a promising year last year and
got a taste of top level football with Vic Country as a bottom-ager.
Unfortunately a fractured fbula early in 2019 ended his year prematurely,
and he was forced to watch from the sidelines. He showed enough last
year to suggest he will be a really solid prospect with his contested work
up there with the best and his disposal solid for an inside midfelder.

Richmond have plenty of small midfield types but just Collier-Dawkins and Jack Ross developing as tall inside mids. Despite not playing most of the season he is rising quickly up draft boards after a stellar performance at the combine.

Others I considered: Will Gould, Josh Worrell, Will Day

Over to you Wickzki

Last edited:
Pick 21 and my last for a while... There's quite a lot of good prospects here for what was reportedly such a thin draft.

I've tossed up doing the smart thing and taking another Oakleigh boy to pair with Rowell and Anderson. However, TerryWallet picked up the best prospect in Dylan Williams - he would have filled a need. There's Cooper Sharman, Nick Bryan but both would be reaching. Trent Bianco is up there too as Oakleigh captain.

Sam De Koning and Trent Rivers were players I wanted but went immediately after Weightman.

Had I not drafted Weightman Pickett would have gotten serious consideration.

However, even with the shenanigans and the criticisms that followed I believe Dew would view the player I'm drafting as one of his own. I've also gone mid-mid-fwd with my first three picks.

So that means Gold Coast select

Pick 21: Will Gould, Glenelg, South Australia

14/1/01
192cm/106kg
South Australia/Glenelg
Defender

Cal Twomey said:
The mature-bodied half-back completed his draft season playing in a senior premiership for Glenelg in the SANFL, helping the club break its 33-year drought. Gould became a regular member of the side, using his long kicking and straight running to break the lines out of defence. He's an assured presence in the back half, and will be focusing on building his running levels in his first AFL pre-season.

AFL Draft Central said:
Will Gould is a no-fuss, clean kicking key defender possessing all the required traits to slot straight in at AFL level.”
IT HAS been quite the season for South Australian key defender Will Gould. He recently put the finishing touches upon a glamorous junior career with a SANFL League premiership with Glenelg – the club’s first in 33 years. Earlier in the season, Gould was named an All-Australian in the National Championships – his second in consecutive years. He went within seconds of leading SA to victory over Victoria Country at GMHBA Stadium, hammering a goal on the run late in the final term to put the Croweaters ahead. Although it was short lived, Gould was arguably best on ground, tallying 26 disposals, 12 contested possessions, five marks (two contested) and a goal. The unanimous captain of South Australia and skipper of Australia for the AFL Academy’s clash with Casey, Gould’s long kicking, courage and leadership have seen him draw comparisons with West Coast premiership captain and fellow SA country native Shannon Hurn. An old-school country kid with a burly frame and no-fuss attitude, Gould is amongst the most ready-made prospects and, despite an awkward height, projects as one of the more unique talents in the draft pool.
STRENGTHS:
Kicking efficiency
Power/Strength
Leadership
Intercept Marking
Vision
Composure
IMPROVEMENTS:
Endurance
Athleticism

Coona Blues

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 21 and my last for a while... There's quite a lot of good prospects here for what was reportedly such a thin draft.

I've tossed up doing the smart thing and taking another Oakleigh boy to pair with Rowell and Anderson. However, TerryWallet picked up the best prospect in Dylan Williams - he would have filled a need. There's Cooper Sharman, Nick Bryan but both would be reaching. Trent Bianco is up there too as Oakleigh captain.

Sam De Koning and Trent Rivers were players I wanted but went immediately after Weightman.

However, even with the shenanigans and the criticisms that followed I believe Dew would view the player I'm drafting as one of his own. I've also gone mid-mid-fwd with my first three picks.

14/1/01
192cm/106kg
South Australia/Glenelg
Defender

Coona Blues

* You

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Now it gets tough. Brisbane has a pretty balanced young list, with developing depth all over the park. Considered the likes of Bianco for his elite disposal and leadership and Thomson Dow for his athleticism and upside, with the Lions well able to accommodate a "slow burn" type. However with Starcevich still in need of opportunity to be transitioned in have made a reach for one of my favourites in this draft.

Originally was going to overlook due to the influence of Charlie Cameron and Linc McCarthy, along with mid sized Rayner seeming to have long term tenure ahead. A quick look at the list shows a dearth of genuine small forwards beyond the above listed pairing, leaving scope for an addition. Clearly from other models throughout the league, three smalls can coexist in a team. A bit of a reach, maybe, but with a team on the rise, a list analysis identifies possible gaps.

Pick 22: Kysaiah Pickett - Woodville-West Torrens, South Australia

Small Forward. 171cm 71kg 02/06/2001

Diminutive, but exudes x factor, goal sense, footy smarts, defensive pressure, tough edge ala cousin Byron and a team first attitude that produces valuable one percenters. Oh, and his highlights reel boasts aerial prowess not unlike the Eagles' "flyin' Ryan". Has some work to do on endurance and consistency, but there will be no pressure to step straight up given the Lion's current list.

AFL Draft Central state..
The smallest player to receive a National Draft Combine invitation, Pickett is a traditional small forward who hits the scoreboard and provides pressure to the opposition defenders. He is not a huge accumulator, but as he showed in the opening game of the year for the Woodville-West Torrens Reserves’ side when he booted six goals, he can have an impact off very few touches. Nephew of Port Adelaide’s Byron.

The Dominator7

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Cubs, FC Brugge
PIck 23 Freo - Jeremy Sharp (got it right this time Jim)

I found this to be a bit of a no brainer given C Stephens, Gould and Rivers were the only others I would have found hard to bypass here.

This pick is again an intersection of talent meets needs meets local boy, and with the loss of Langdon and Hill he could slot in R1 on a wing.

The other 2 boys I was really tempted with at this pick were more speculative X factor types in Taheny and the local boy in Elijah Taylor, but I just couldn’t go past Sharp.

C335A329-A378-46C8-A719-DB017F797AAF.jpeg

Over to you Sin City

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

14/1/01
192cm/106kg
South Australia/Glenelg
Defender

Coona Blues

Good pick in his own right here Wickzki and to go with you looking for a little retention connection, which is smart for GC, Gould is mates with Rankine and McLennan and especially great mates with Luko from all reports. No brainer for GC for mine. Maybe even at the pick before this.

Interesting that Matt Balmer and a few others are saying he might get to about 30 now though. Strange times indeed.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Now it gets tough. Brisbane has a pretty balanced young list, with developing depth all over the park. Considered the likes of Bianco for his elite disposal and leadership and Thomson Dow for his athleticism and upside, with the Lions well able to accommodate a "slow burn" type. However with Starcevich still in need of opportunity to be transitioned in have made a reach for one of my favourites in this draft.

Originally was going to overlook due to the influence of Charlie Cameron and Linc McCarthy, along with mid sized Rayner seeming to have long term tenure ahead. A quick look at the list shows a dearth of genuine small forwards beyond the above listed pairing, leaving scope for an addition. Clearly from other models throughout the league, three smalls can coexist in a team. A bit of a reach, maybe, but with a team on the rise, a list analysis identifies possible gaps.

Pick 22: Kysaiah Pickett - Woodville-West Torrens, South Australia

Small Forward. 171cm 71kg 02/06/2001

Diminutive, but exudes x factor, goal sense, footy smarts, defensive pressure, tough edge ala cousin Byron and a team first attitude that produces valuable one percenters. Oh, and his highlights reel boasts aerial prowess not unlike the Eagles' "flyin' Ryan". Has some work to do on endurance and consistency, but there will be no pressure to step straight up given the Lion's current list.

AFL Draft Central state..
The smallest player to receive a National Draft Combine invitation, Pickett is a traditional small forward who hits the scoreboard and provides pressure to the opposition defenders. He is not a huge accumulator, but as he showed in the opening game of the year for the Woodville-West Torrens Reserves’ side when he booted six goals, he can have an impact off very few touches. Nephew of Port Adelaide’s Byron.

The Dominator7

Someone likes our little mate Pickett Coona. Got himself an invite to 1st Rd draft night. May have to wait til second night in reality yet, but he is rated.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Pick 24 - Adelaide - Josh Worrell

Bit surprised he's still here, pretty good prospect and I'm confident he'll be able to hold down a key defensive post at AFL level for the Crows.
The Crows don't have a lot of KPD depth with Keath leaving plus Talia and Hartigan are both 28. By the time they're ready to move on Worrell will be ready to step in.
Can play forward as well which he did successfully in the national champs. Skilful, good athlete and just the type the Crows would love to develop for a few years to get him ready for senior footy.
I would've looked at Sharp too as another possible needs based selection. Cooper Stephens at 20 was a really good selection for the Tigers too SM.

Blugazi

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This 26 pick isn’t in a good spot at all.
Don't worry. Chances are if it's not an Academy p player the Swans will pick a bust or someone they'll delist or trade for unders only for them to become a star or premiership player.

Where are we up to? 25 right?

I have Collingwood and they're an odd one.
On one hand they seem to have everything but upon closer inspection, they seem to be lacking plenty.
The much vaunted midfield is going to start feeling pressure with Pendlebury, Beams and Sidebottom showing signs of slowing down.
Then they're worried about what they have elsewhere enough to ask Reid and Varcoe to play another year.
Lots of older players here and not much fresh talent to come along this year starting at pick #35. Not good.

Anyway, confident Collingwood will get their player in this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back