Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It always seems to slow down at the end. It's funny, I always find the latter picks more interesting than the early picks. Everyone knows who the top prospects are going to be. People have to work to find quality late, and everyone is convinced that their late picks are the ones who will beat the odds.

At pick 76 Fremantle place a bid on Bigoa Nyuon

I am in a serious pickle. I was really hoping Bigoa would make it to the Rookie Draft.

In the real world, I think St Kilda would match here. It's a nothing pick, and whilst they aren't obligated to select NGA kids....when you are this far down in the draft, I think you'd lean towards selecting NGA kids if they have something to work with.

And boy does 'Biggie' have something to work with. He is an insane athlete. IN-SANE. Perhaps the best in the draft pool. At 195cm tall, he has run 20m in 2.86sec (would have been 1st at the national combine), 8.24 agility test (top 10 at combine) and is in the top echelon for standing and running jumps.

But this is not the decathlon. It's football. So far he has probably played the most as a forward, where he has shown some promise (3 goals in the future stars GF last year a highlight). Also played as an undersized ruck and as a defender. I think he is an inferior ruck prospect than his big brother Gach - who was taken as a rookie by * in 2015 and since delisted without playing a senior match (he did have off-field issues). I think Bigoa's best chance of making it at AFL level is as an intercepting defender; the next Aliir Aliir, perhaps? I tried not to go the stereotype, but the combination of height, jumping ability and marking prowess (Biggie is pretty handy in the air) is too obvious to ignore.

OK....I still haven't answered the question. He'd be behind Alabakis and Bryan as a raw ruck prospect. He could be groomed as a KPF or KPD (which Saints also need more of), but I just feel he is too raw. I am not generally a fan of super-raw prospects. If you are a bit player at u18 level, I think you usually end up getting spat out at AFL level.

He could be anything, but more likely will be nothing. This could come back to bite me, but I have a couple of guys that I am keener on that have almost made it to my pick and I am going to hang out for them. Ultimately, I see both of them as having better chances of making it at AFL level.

At the end of the day, I didn't want to second guess what St Kilda would do. I wanted to decide what I would do if I was in charge of the Saints.

WaaaaayTL,DR; I am going to pass, Dom. He's all yours.

(Yes, I really made you wait that long only to pass. Sorry about that. But I really struggled to decide between getting one of the roughies I preferred and what St Kilda might do in this situation. Plus I had a family obligation.....stupid family)

OK, with pick 70-80ish or whatever this is called now.....St Kilda selects....

Name: Chad Warner
Position: Inside Mid
Height: 181cm
Weight: 80kg
Teams: East Fremantle Colts, Western Australia

Warner is a tough, hard-working inside midfielder. He gets a lot of the ball, tackles hard (and regularly) and has decent hands in close.

He dominated at colts levels, averaging 27 touches, 6 tackles, 6 clearances and almost a goal a game. He was a solid performer at state level; averaging 18 touches, 7 tackles, 3 clearances. Not too shabby for a pick in the 140s...or whatever we are up to. Especially with Deven Robertson taking his primary inside-mid spot.

His kicking is not great. Not terrible, but lacks polish and penetration. But I get the feeling he is the type of kid that would a) work on his weaknesses b) play within his limits.

So why will he make it when so many other unpolished tough-nuts have failed?

Firstly, he aint a slow plodder. His pace is ok, but he has great endurance (=3rd in the national combine yo-yo test) and he was 6th best in the agility test.

Secondly, he has a good defensive game. He will chase. He will tackle. He will throw himself at the ball and the opposition (his spirit animal is Mitch Robinson).

Lastly, he has good hands in close and seems to have good awareness of the game and his teammates. He is capable of a clever tap on, a quick handball out of a hot space, he will get tackles and smothers that only the most desperate will get.

Overall, he will get majority of his possessions on the inside. He will handball first. But he has the fitness and work ethic to run both ways and provide some outside game too.

I passed on Nyuon the athlete for Chad Warner the footballer. I admit I have a penchant for blue-collar footballers, but I think Warner has enough tricks up his sleeve (especially at pick ~270) to make him a worthwhile late-draft selection.

Edit: Forgot to mention that while Chad is ~best available for me, I also chose him based on needs for the Saints - who have lots of outside run but lack inside muscle beyond Jack Steele and Luke Dunstan.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll stick to a younger player here but with our final pick I had thought to take an experienced player.

There are a number of players recently delisted who I think are certainly good enough to be on an AFL list in 2020 and I would have absolutely no issue if we chose to go down that path.

But for the purpose of this phantom I'll go with another kid and for the last time I'll take the highest remaining player on my draft board.

Pick 81 - Carlton - Josh Morris

+ Speed
+ Disposal
+ Marking

- Endurance
- Pressure

Morris is a medium forward who has excellent speed on the lead, he's a terrific mark for his size, and has a very sound kick for goal.

Needs to work on his endurance and he doesn't apply enough pressure inside the forward 50. He probably slipped down the draft board a bit this year but does have talent and deserves to be drafted at some stage.

November birthday means he'll spend the entire 2020 season as an 18 year old and should have plenty of development left in him.

At 186cm he's sort of at that in-between height but I wonder if he might grow a little more over the next few years and push through the 190cm barrier. He's an interesting prospect and you could do a lot worse at this point of the draft IMO.

SonOfColin you're up, with 1 list spot and 2 picks remaining. If you want to pass after this pick, just mention it in the post. :thumbsu:

Am I done Jimmae?
You have 3 spare list spots, technically need to add at least one more player, but up to you if you want to wave that off for the PSD/DFA or not.

Hawthorn take Tyrone Thorn as a small forward with some zip. He will de a developing player for a while.

From Afl.com:

The lively 167cm forward broke Stephen Hill's longstanding agility test record at the WA State Combine in October. He is capable of the mercurial as a small forward, with his ability to make things happen out of nothing impressing recruiters. Still has an incredibly light frame, weighing in at just 60kgs.

And that’s Hawthorn done

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

WB - Josh D'Intinosante
Great value here for the dogs with a pressure small forward who can kick goals.

2nd In the NAB league goal kicking, runner up in the knights B&F, winner in 2018 as a 17 year old.

Pick 85? - West Coast - Chad Pearson (South Fremantle

I went for a mature aged recruit. I don't think enough of these were selected. Despite the midseason draft there are still plenty of options available in the lower leagues.

I went with Chad who is a 21 year old, 193 cm key defender who averages over 18 disposals a game providing plenty of rebound, and uses it pretty well.

Trading for Kelly, and their aging midfield, means that the time is now for ultimate success for West Coast. Chad is still young with plenty of development ahead, but he can also slot right into the senior side when needed from day 1.

Blugazi

Last edited:
Pick 85? - West Coast - Chad Pearson (South Fremantle

I went for a mature aged recruit. I don't think enough of these were selected. Despite the midseason draft there are still plenty of options available in the lower leagues.

I went with Chad who is a 21 year old, 193 cm key defender who averages over 18 disposals a game providing plenty of rebound, and uses it pretty well.

Trading for Kelly, and their aging midfield, means that the time is now for ultimate success for West Coast. Chad is still young with plenty of development ahead, but he can also slot right into the senior side when needed from day 1.

Blugazi
Blugazi is out of list spots, I think we can just call it here, and I'll delete all the passes.

On Draft night, it will probably cap out under 78 picks, and we've reached 80. Well done all!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back