2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

May improve his average slightly but always found him frustrating to own. Sure he’s consistent at around 95-105, but rarely goes big. Doesn’t mark enough or kick enough goals
110 was the season he set a record for possessions in a season. I don't see him doing this again, therefore I can't see his average going back to 110.

So who do we think got drafted by the right teams (chance of playing rd1) and in the right place (price)?
Obviously Walsh will play but be expensive and Stocker might play early.
St.Kilda loading up on mature age players means Parker and Hine might play early.
Same with the Bullies and in expect Cavarra to get games.
McLennan also might get games early for GC.
Don't really expect any of the WC. GWS, Richmond or Essendon recruits to get games next year

So who do we think got drafted by the right teams (chance of playing rd1) and in the right place (price)?
Obviously Walsh will play but be expensive and Stocker might play early.
St.Kilda loading up on mature age players means Parker and Hine might play early.
Same with the Bullies and in expect Cavarra to get games.
McLennan also might get games early for GC.
Don't really expect any of the WC. GWS, Richmond or Essendon recruits to get games next year

The amount of mature age pick ups and kids who have experiencr against men already there will be an abundance debuting round 1 for fantasy.

Of the kids who wont be badly priced to consider are probably guys like S.Walsh, Stocker, Hately, Ely Smith, Rozee and Clark as defenders will certainly be in consideration ect

But i dare say we wont have to worry too much about the young kids. As i said so many mature agers ready to go. Along with the 5 already recruited via GC suns and Carlton there were plenty more again.

Last edited:
The amount of mature age pick ups and kids who have experiencr against men already there will be an abundance debuting round 1 for fantasy.

Of the kids who wont be badly priced to consider are probably guys like S.Walsh, Stocker, Hately, Ely Smith, Rozee and Clark as defenders will certainly be in consideration ect

But i dare say we wont have to worry too much about the young kids. As i said so many mature agers ready to go. Along with the 5 already recruited via GC suns and Carlton there were plenty more again.
It will be interesting to see how they price those 5 pre-selections

It will be interesting to see how they price those 5 pre-selections
I think pre selections will be basement price, the same as the NGA guys that got taken post draft. It's way too subjective as to where they could've been taken in the draft to price differently.

Won't Collins be more expensive than the others considering he has AFL experience? He's probably the most enticing of the 5 then I'd say Corbett.
No idea! I'm just pissed that Mumford went and got himself suspended for the first few matches he would be a perfect 2nd ruck

No idea! I'm just pissed that Mumford went and got himself suspended for the first few matches he would be a perfect 2nd ruck

I'm just thinking of for instance Jarrod Garlett, he had a year out and wasn't basement price despite being drafted fairly late.

Agree on Mumford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys to keep an eye on from Geelong next year:

Darcy Fort - 3rd bench Ruckman, close to basement price (mature age)
Jordan Clark - Backline, definitely see him playing round 1 and shouldn't be too expensive
Tom Atkins - Mature age mid/fwd, rookie pick and definite chance to play as well.

Others I'll be looking at:

Brad Crouch
Dan Hanneberry
Sam Walsh
Bailey Smith
Xavier O'Halloran
Will Setterfield
Ely Smith
Callum Mills
Reece Conca

Most likely package a lot of the above, with locks in:

Jack Macrae
Angus Brayshaw
Sam Docherty
Stephen Coniglio

Forward line will be the toughest to pick this year, much like last year.

will the kickouts register a stat automatically in 2019?
are there any other rules changes that are worth noting from a fantasy perspective?

are there any other rules changes that are worth noting from a fantasy perspective?
This is an intersting one.

Basically the goal square doesn't exist anymore with the ability to play on. So I'm thinking those guys with speed and depth with their kicking will be used a lot.

I don't think we have exact clarity yet, however as I see it there ar eonly two available interpretations.

As i understand it, the rule is that a player may play on from the goal square immediatley without disposing of the ball to himself. Therefore there are two possible interpretations.

1) A player may kick from within the square like a traditional kick out (which would not count as a disposal) or they can play on, by stepping outside the goal square and kick the bal (which would count as a disposal); or

2) Any disposal after a point, regardless of whether it is inside the goal square or not counts as a disposal and there are no restrictions on what you can do (i.e you can handball out of the square).

I think they are more likely to go with the first option, maybe relying on the umpire to call "play-on" to determine whether the kick is a disposal or not.

i don't think it will effect scores too much anyway as the only people who don't play on too much now, but may get kick out disposals would be people like Hurley.

The more interesting take is if the new rules will change the type of players hwo take the kickouts, will players like Saad take more kickouts to try and run 30 metres out of defence before kicking.

Keep and eye on mature age St Kilda recruit Matt Parker. Will be basement price and I expect him to be there abouts round 1 as a forward rookie option

Remove this Banner Ad

Back