2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

is Rory Sloane a POD we could look at, priced at 653K at an average of 89. I think we just write off all of Adelaide's players in 2018, and back them in going back to there normal selfs, but this could be a 10-15 point increase without much effort.

Just not sure about Sloane turning top 8 though, so not much value to gain and not a keeper. Ehh. I looked at him too.

is Rory Sloane a POD we could look at, priced at 653K at an average of 89. I think we just write off all of Adelaide's players in 2018, and back them in going back to there normal selfs, but this could be a 10-15 point increase without much effort.
Sloane gets tagged every chance a club gets, he's not worth the risk IMO. I think it was VSTone who started with him last season? Was not a pleasant experience from what I remember, haha.

Has nothing to do with the camp or anything, his output was just low because teams would clamp him to stop him being the 'extractor.'

Can definitely go big if given the chance, but after the first half of his 2017 campaign, teams got wise to it and his scoring dropped dramatically in turn.

Sloane gets tagged every chance a club gets, he's not worth the risk IMO. I think it was VSTone who started with him last season? Was not a pleasant experience from what I remember, haha.

Has nothing to do with the camp or anything, his output was just low because teams would clamp him to stop him being the 'extractor.'

Can definitely go big if given the chance, but after the first half of his 2017 campaign, teams got wise to it and his scoring dropped dramatically in turn.

And then it bounced back spectacularly - finished the year with 134, 47, 124, 97, 153, 149. I'll take 1 tagged out game for every 4 120s..

Susceptible to a tag but he can break them if his team is on top and it's ridiculous to write him off.

my season was over by round 3... went with midprice madness and it absolutely stunk. Sloane getting injured was the icing on the cake.

And then it bounced back spectacularly - finished the year with 134, 47, 124, 97, 153, 149. I'll take 1 tagged out game for every 4 120s..

Susceptible to a tag but he can break them if his team is on top and it's ridiculous to write him off.

To be fair, the last two games against the Swans and Eagles were scratch games. They were already two games clear on top, and we (Geelong) were still behind on percentage by about 20 point or so. He was pretty much allowed to do what he pleased as Sydney didn't have a designated tagger and Sloane just played his own game. That's why he racked up big numbers, but they lost both games (although Round 22 vs Sydney was very close).

If you look at his season as a whole, he starts off like a bat out of hell after his first game, and then come Round 7, he's sporadic at best:

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 4.32.05 pm.png
I should know, I brought him in at his absolute peak (round 6) and then he crashed and burned after that 155. Was rough. If you take out the scratch matches, he only goes over 100 seven times for the rest of the season and his average is 90.9. Including the scratch matches, he goes at 98.4. Not good numbers for a premo. This is further backed up by his drop to under 90 av. last year.

Definitely is. Flying well under the radar aswell. Expect some low scores when he cops the inevitable tag but his ceiling almost makes up for it.

Ridiculous how my team looks simply downgrading Witts to English..
I just feel like out of all the lines, the Rucks are the one you can least afford to take a risk. As if the mid pricer goes down, you’re suddenly needing to find big $$$ to get them up to a gun. In the other lines you can just downgrade to a rookie where you don’t have that luxury in the rucks. English could well come out and be a great mid pricer, but it’s not a risk I’m a fan of. I know there’s the Mumford contingency plan after round 3, but it’s unknown how he’ll come back after time out

I just feel like out of all the lines, the Rucks are the one you can least afford to take a risk. As if the mid pricer goes down, you’re suddenly needing to find big $$$ to get them up to a gun. In the other lines you can just downgrade to a rookie where you don’t have that luxury in the rucks. English could well come out and be a great mid pricer, but it’s not a risk I’m a fan of. I know there’s the Mumford contingency plan after round 3, but it’s unknown how he’ll come back after time out

Agree 100% this is the one position which will require a lot of $$$ to get it to the player you want at the end of the season. I’d much rather be set and forget with the ruckmen this year. Not worth the risk

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree 100% this is the one position which will require a lot of $$$ to get it to the player you want at the end of the season. I’d much rather be set and forget with the ruckmen this year. Not worth the risk

More risk in trying to pick who the clear 2nd best ruckman is I reckon.

More risk in trying to pick who the clear 2nd best ruckman is I reckon.

Yeah it is, but if your starting with either Goldy, Witts or Martin, it isn’t much risk if your starting there and won’t need much money when ever you do decide to switch it needed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it is, but if your starting with either Goldy, Witts or Martin, it isn’t much risk if your starting there and won’t need much money when ever you do decide to switch it needed

Honestly feel like you’ll be able to throw a blanket over Gawn, Witts, Martin and Goldy. All around 98-103 imo. Won’t be a huge difference if you don’t have the exact highest averaging R2 like it was last year

Honestly feel like you’ll be able to throw a blanket over Gawn, Witts, Martin and Goldy. All around 98-103 imo. Won’t be a huge difference if you don’t have the exact highest averaging R2 like it was last year
If rucks somehow get an extra 10 points this year due to the rule changes across the board and Grundy and Gawn kick on early, they could be the overall 1 & 2 in the comp by quite a margin. I think the rule changes this year could have a decent impact on scoring output.

Whilst this is true in the case of an injury to English, you are always in the position of having to upgrade someone to a premium. 300K is required to upgrade English, or 600K to upgrade any rookie. I think the risk is worth the potential reward.

Granted there is more of a possibility that there will be rookie downgrades on other lines, but the money has got to come from somewhere. I'm not convinced about the job security of my current bench, let alone the extra rookie that I would have to put on the field to upgrade English. I am willing to consider a change though as more info on the rookies becomes available over the JLT.

Hanners down to $170k place holder (likely to be Gibbons when he's added)
That allowed Luke Ryan upgraded to Laird
& Cerra up to Worpel.

The ruck is giving me issues. Opens up so many possibilities having someone like English in.. either way there’s going to be a risk taken as I’ll have to take someone like Steele at m4 if I have a 600+ ruck

With Wingard moving on does that mean one of Robbie Gray or Rocky will be playing more midfield? Got burnt by Gray last year but if he’s playing full time mid again, he’s a top 6 forward and one of the first picked.

Can someone help an old fellow out.

When you say player X is priced at an average of Y, what does this mean and is there a formula for working the average out?

Many thanks

With Wingard moving on does that mean one of Robbie Gray or Rocky will be playing more midfield? Got burnt by Gray last year but if he’s playing full time mid again, he’s a top 6 forward and one of the first picked.
Gray will be playing more mid but the percentage split is still unknown. So far it looks like Ports midfield is getting a big shake up with the addition of Schofield as midfield coach.

Rocky is an interesting one.. His wife dumped him and ran off with his kid and on top of that he went in for shoulder surgery again in the off season. Hopefully the surgery fixes his shoulder but until I see him play and not grab his shoulder he wont be in my team. The reality is he could be a bust for Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back