2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like (as much as it pains me to say it) that we can all put a line through Hanners. Could be an early season rook upgrade if going well, but another injury cloud means he's just too dangerous to start with. Same applies to Wingard and Bennell (no surprises on the last one).

Looks like (as much as it pains me to say it) that we can all put a line through Hanners. Could be an early season rook upgrade if going well, but another injury cloud means he's just too dangerous to start with. Same applies to Wingard and Bennell (no surprises on the last one).
Agree on Hanners i needed a good pre season from him to consider im, Bennell was never going to be considered by me. fool me once shame on you fool me for the 73rd time shame on me.

Wouldn't be too worried about the Wingard injury though, he was never going to play AFL X once he got a niggle, clubs will be looking for any reason to pull players out of it. Wingard completed an intense running session at training earlier in the week and will almost certainly be right to play in the JLT. Other good options to pick forward for anyone concerned but as long as we see him in JLT he should be right to go.

Darcy Moore
2018 - 41
2017 - 62
2016 - 52
2015 - 48

Am I missing something here ???
Lol wtf.. Darcy Moore. That's a left field one. What is the basis?
Just a gut feel from the rule changes and this from an Ashley Browne article

"But where the Pies shape to be considerably stiffened is their backline. Another 2018 hamstring casualty, Darcy Moore, was a standout on Friday, using his height, pace and athleticism to intercept the play and also to be the first line of attack. It was interesting that during the first quarter of the scrimmage, play would resume from the defensive goal square after every goal rather than the centre square and Moore was hard to contain, using the extended protection zone to take off and move the ball quickly towards the centre of the ground. "

Chris Masten dominates every pre season for us. I wouldn't read too much into glowing pre season reports.

Moore is a KPD who has never really been known for having a great disposal. Sicily proved himself to be a legitimate ball winner in the back half of 2017, which is why his selection last year wasn't as risky as the name would suggest.

Moore has no record of being a ball winner, not known for a standout disposal in a defense that is likely to have Crisp, Howe, Maynard and Pendlebury offering rebound. I firmly expect Moore to maintain his career average of 45 like most KPDs

"I've completed the whole pre-season through the midfield, so it depends each game what that role is ... but I see myself playing as an inside midfielder."

Interesting comments from Rocky.
At 600k he's cheap for what he's capable of.

Just realised I have 5 Carltoon players.......Newman, Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, with Gibbons on the bench.
Is that excessive? Given that most pundits have them as a bottom 4 team.

Totally fine. Gibbons is a bench player, Walsh is a rookie who who just want your 70+ and job security from so you only really have 3 carlton players. Plus, don't forget injuries often happen

Just make sure you have 5 players (bench and field). If you nail all 5 rooks, doesn't matter if they're on the field or not. You want the cash generation more than anything. If they're all scoring similarly and well, then it shouldn't really matter.

At this stage, my 5 are: Walsh, Bewley, Hind, Constable/Gibbons/Atkins (last two spots will be decided by JLT).

Add in Will Hayes to this list. 23 years old, won the Footscray BnF

2017 D1 out for the year
2018 M1 out for the year
2018 R1 injured
2018 F1 injured

This years going to be s**t.

I dont think it makes it any better or worse. Still tons of players to pick from. Everyone has the same pool

Just a name for you guys to keep an eye on is Luke Meadows (probably seen his name thrown up in the past few days) is a mature age player from the WAFL and is very likely to get signed by the Hawks soon i would expect. Joined Box Hill at the end of last year and participated in our intra club game today and was very impressive, expect that he will be a decent option at $170k and should be worth considering if he does end up on our list.

Few things from the intra club to take note of

1. Birch ruled out playing Round 1 but said he expects to play early in the year - Cross him off for anyone considering him
  2. Scrimshaw was impressive and could look to take that spot in the round 1 team
  3. Worpel was one of the best on ground, ultra impressive. If you were considering him before it he gave you no reason to take him out
  4. Wingard as reported earlier in the week didn't play
  5. Jaeger class above which is to be expected, played limited minutes (planned, no issues) and looked primed for a big 2019
Not long til JLT now!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rocky played predominantly midfield last year and couldnt score.... he should be better after a year at new club then his 80 suggest but not by enough for me. I wont begrudge anyone for taking him as a unique though just i wont be at this stage

Wingard still travelling fine i think he did a large chunk. I highly doubt any players do 100% of preseaon anymore.Decide on him if he misses both JLT

Luke Meadows - Whats the ruling because apparently Tom Mutchell tracking very nicely for back end of season. I believe if hawks off Meadows a gig then Titch cant even play finals? Cant see the hawks forcing that

I have a pretty locked side. M1-5 is totally open for JLT as well as F3. Apart from that I think there's clear
Rocky played predominantly midfield last year and couldnt score.... he should be better after a year at new club then his 80 suggest but not by enough for me. I wont begrudge anyone for taking him as a unique though just i wont be at this stage

Wingard still travelling fine i think he did a large chunk. I highly doubt any players do 100% of preseaon anymore.Decide on him if he misses both JLT

Luke Meadows - Whats the ruling because apparently Tom Mutchell tracking very nicely for back end of season. I believe if hawks off Meadows a gig then Titch cant even play finals? Cant see the hawks forcing that
That's assuming Hawthorn make finals

Tom confirmed yesterday he won't play in 2019, wants to play it safe andmake sure he is 100% for 2020.

Cripps, Zerrett, Dusty, Adams,B.Crouch, Libba, Walsh,Gibbons (Bewley, Hind)

Is this midfield too risky?
You'd probably be better off droping Libba to a rookie and upgrading Dusty to Macrae.

I'd take:
Macrae, Cripps, Zerret, Adams, B. Crouch, Walsh, Gibbons, Bewley
over;
Cripps, Zerrett, Dusty, Adams,B.Crouch, Libba, Walsh, Gibbons

You'd probably be better off droping Libba to a rookie and upgrading Dusty to Macrae.

I'd take:
Macrae, Cripps, Zerret, Adams, B. Crouch, Walsh, Gibbons, Bewley
over;
Cripps, Zerrett, Dusty, Adams,B.Crouch, Libba, Walsh, Gibbons
I’m pretty big on Dusty. Think people have forgotten what he can do. Had a pretty average year by his standards but went at 113 and 106 the two years before that. He’s 10-15 points under priced imo. He’s not at Macraes Fantasy level obviously but the way I would see it

Dusty 105 and Libba 85
V
Macrae 120 and rookie 60-65

Remove this Banner Ad

Back