2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Definitely a bit early on this, with 7 rounds left in this season.
But we know that late season form over last 6-8 weeks plus finals can be a good guide to help identify next year’s value (good or bad) picks.

So this thread is for ideas, food for thought, head to head comparisons, predictions etc.

All contributions welcome!

I'll be keeping a close watch on how some of this year's disappointing premos finish out the season. If names like Dusty, Danger, Bont, Taylor Adams etc can get back to their premo ways in the final weeks of the year then they'll all be decent value in 2019 given that their overall 2018 averages will be well down on their potential outputs. I guess you could add someone like Parker to that group but he is firmly on my never again list now.

I'll be keeping a close watch on how some of this year's disappointing premos finish out the season. If names like Dusty, Danger, Bont, Taylor Adams etc can get back to their premo ways in the final weeks of the year then they'll all be decent value in 2019 given that their overall 2018 averages will be well down on their potential outputs. I guess you could add someone like Parker to that group but he is firmly on my never again list now.
Not only is Parker on my never again, but he also puts me off those guys you mention because he would have fit that description for this year.

Of course I'll be loading up on those guys come March next year :drunk:

Not only is Parker on my never again, but he also puts me off those guys you mention because he would have fit that description for this year.

Of course I'll be loading up on those guys come March next year :drunk:

Hahahaha yeah.... I get sucked in at the start of every year. Ignore a proven premium because they're no 'value' and go for the underpriced premiums with question marks hanging over them. Usually so I can afford an equally risky midpricer (who usually fails) instead of a basement priced rookie (who usually goes great guns).

That is how I tend to play this game :oops:

The usual factors will play a big part in strategy: DPPs, cheap premos, mid pricers, rookies.

Wouldn't mind starting with these blokes:
Defs: Docherty, Laird, Lloyd
Mids: Mitchell, Kelly, Macrae, Gaff, Merrett
Rucks: Gawn, Grundy
Fwds: Greene, Walters, Hoff

Things I would like to look at:

-Laird vs Lloyd as #1 defender next year (Yeo likely to be mid only I think)
-Underperformers from here on out (Billings, Adams, Robbie Gray, Dusty, Aaron Hall, Hibberd etc.)
Lloyd a :padlock: if McVeigh retires end of the year.
Can see Lloyd easily going 110 without him stealing his +6's.

I’m going to write s**t down this year. I’ve always had a plan for the next season but by the time the new season opens I’ve forgotten half of it and I make the same stupid decisions as I made the year before.

Parker never ever ever not ever again. Hanners will be tempting but I would rather not pick any swans mids. Couple of years ago the swans mids (Parker, Hanners, JPK) were beasts but now they are irrelevant. Titch will be a lock once again. Will be so nice having Doch back but he could be too expensive to start with, especially coming off a long term injury.

Guys I will likely start with:
Def: Lloyd, Laird
Mid: Titch, Jelly, Zerrett
Ruc: Gawn n Grundy set and forget
Fwd: very incertain, hopefully guys like Heen and Hoff stay as fwds.

One thing I've learnt not to do is put my faith in top ten picks. A few worked out but ultimately (this year) there were plenty of 170k rookies pumping the same scores if not better. Was way too midfield heavy this year - but like I said my first year playing fantasy seriously so keen to dive into 2019 and correct my mistakes...

I'm predicting there will be plenty of bottom priced rucks to choose from next year who will get regular games :D

Parker never ever ever not ever again. Hanners will be tempting but I would rather not pick any swans mids. Couple of years ago the swans mids (Parker, Hanners, JPK) were beasts but now they are irrelevant. Titch will be a lock once again. Will be so nice having Doch back but he could be too expensive to start with, especially coming off a long term injury.

Guys I will likely start with:
Def: Lloyd, Laird
Mid: Titch, Jelly, Zerrett
Ruc: Gawn n Grundy set and forget
Fwd: very incertain, hopefully guys like Heen and Hoff stay as fwds.

Never the same top 2 ruckmen year upon year!

I made this a little while ago to help plan my 2018 side but have modified it to aid me in helping choose my 2019 side. Basically its fully formulated to calculate your total team value and remaining salary. Obviously you'll have to ballpark your player prices but it should give you a decent idea. The only manual work is optional - but if you enter your remaining unfilled positions on field, it will give you the average price per player from your remaining salary.

No idea if theres resources like this or whatnot but this has worked fine for me. Would anybody be interested in a public google sheets link? You can then save it as your own and edit as you please.
28ba92fc97a7cfbf63717300012a9fa4.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I made this a little while ago to help plan my 2018 side but have modified it to aid me in helping choose my 2019 side. Basically its fully formulated to calculate your total team value and remaining salary. Obviously you'll have to ballpark your player prices but it should give you a decent idea. The only manual work is optional - but if you enter your remaining unfilled positions on field, it will give you the average price per player from your remaining salary.

No idea if theres resources like this or whatnot but this has worked fine for me. Would anybody be interested in a public google sheets link? You can then save it as your own and edit as you please.
View attachment 524897
Very handy piece that:moustache:If you could do as said I'm sure many would appreciate it, yours truly included:)

Things I would like to look at:

-Laird vs Lloyd as #1 defender next year (Yeo likely to be mid only I think)
-Underperformers from here on out (Billings, Adams, Robbie Gray, Dusty, Aaron Hall, Hibberd etc.)
I am not picking up Gray again unless they sack Ken and get someone who plays him where he should (ie 70% mid 30% forward rather than the other way around) or half their mids are injured and they have no choice.

Billings and Dusty I think are the interesting ones there. Probably want to see Billings' role first though.

will the top forwards this year still have forward status next year? ie smith mclean heeney?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't really see how any of those three would. Westhoff would even be struggling tbh but is likely to get DPP as he is a true utility. The others are pretty much mids.

Guarantee it will be pittance.. if any. The fantasy suits are corrupt as ****.

Will not discount him in the interest of "diversity of teams"

Gawn this year though. Fingers crossed they do because we need another reason to watch Carlton games. The list is currently short :moustache:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back