Preview 2019 Player Previews

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueAbroad

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Matthew Kreuzer - LINK to video

After another injury interrupted season, we are hoping that Kreuze can have a clean run of health.

Unfortunately it was announced today that he would be undergoing a knee procedure that will keep him out of action for approximately 4 weeks, in what is yet another setback.

It's hard to put expectations on the big man. We know how important he is to our club as a player and person.

For me it's just about getting him healthy and as close to 100% as possible.

What do you think?

Matthew Kreuzer.png

Matthew Kreuzer - LINK to video

After another injury interrupted season, we are hoping that Kreuze can have a clean run of health.

Unfortunately it was announced today that he would be undergoing a knee procedure that will keep him out of action for approximately 4 weeks, in what is yet another setback.

It's hard to put expectations on the big man. We know how important he is to our club as a player and person.

For me it's just about getting him healthy and as close to 100% as possible.

What do you think?

View attachment 611365

Fair assessment about the uncertainty behind Kreuzer.

If he's not playing in our second JLT match against Collingwood on the 11th of March, I can't see him playing round 1.

The thing with Kreuzer is he has never really had a full preseason. If he's out on the park, I reckon he'll provide much of the same output as he has in the past.

Jacob Weitering - LINK

Entering his 4th season, Jacob has endured plenty of tough lessons with his AFl career. I think this is the year he starts to put it all together and find his place in the league.

What do you think?

View attachment 611446

You hit the nail on the head with that summary.

The concern with Weitering is speed.

I feel like we've got his position wrong. He should be the intercepting defender. We seem to be turning him into a one on one (lockdown) defender which wasn't what made him the #1 pick in the 2015 draft.

I'm just a supporter so I don't have all the details on what's happening at the club. Just feel that he'd be better utilised in a Jake Lever type role.

Sam Petrevski-Seton - VIDEO

22 games from "the Cowboy" in 2018 was a great effort.

He's a player that seems to play in bursts and we'll be looking to a much more consistent player this season.

Keeping in mind he is still only 20 years of age, there is plenty of time for Samo to achieve his potential.

What kind of impact do you think he will have in 2019?

SPS.png

Marc Murphy - VIDEO

13 games in yet another injury-plagued season for the former skipper.

With the captaincy (and extra scrutiny) relinquished, I can truly see Murph having a great year for the club.

Our extra layer of midfield depth will hopefully allow for a more suitable role whereby he should find himself in positions to utilise his running power and skill by foot.

I'm excited to have the former AFL MVP back at full fitness and enjoying his footy again.

His decision to stay at the club and set the example for our younger players with respect to staying loyal in the ever-growing free market model is something that should be appreciated by all of our supporters.

What do you expect from Murph in 2019?

Marc Murphy.png

Are you related to Rick Beato?
No offence but I can't watch you without seeing one of my favourites in Rick. :)

Keep up the good work Terry.

Haha - I have no idea who that is. Must be the eyebrows ;)

Paddy Dow - VIDEO

2018 was a success for Paddy in terms of gaining as much experience as possible.

We're fairly confident he's going to be a great player and he showed that in various moments throughout games.

He seemed to be able to think his way through stoppages as the season progressed.

With a full pre season, another layer of running power and a feeling of comfort within the club, there's an air of excitement around the leap that Paddy can make in 2019.

What do you think?

Paddy Dow.png

Harry McKay - VIDEO

We begged and begged and begged, and we finally saw Harry in 2018.

It was a crucial step forward for the big man as he now finds himself fully immersed into the best 22 and the reality is that the full forward position is his to lose.

The flashes of brilliance undoubtedly gave us a reason to be excited for the scoring threat that we now have in attack and I expect Harry to really cement himself in the league in 2019.

I believe 35 goals is a realistic target for him to strive for, combined with consistently presenting up the ground and taking plenty of marks to relieve our midfielders and help set up our movement.

What do you think?

Harry McKay.png

Lochie O'Brien - VIDEO

I was pleasantly surprised with how many games Lochie was able to play in 2018.

The experience he gained will be worth it's weight in gold over the next important years of his development as we look to fast-track our young crop to 100 games and beyond.

The lightly framed midfielder showed his ability to win the ball in space and that will be vital for our offensive spread in 2019.

He looks set to line up in round 1 and with that, he puts himself in the best position to keep that spot for the entire year.

Anything close to 20 possessions a game would be a great return for Lochie and along with Paddy Dow, adding a layer of running power to his game.

What do you think?

Lochie O'Brien.png

Mitch McGovern - VIDEO

Very excited to welcome Mitch to the club after 4 years at the Crows, including plenty of valuable experience in big games.

The back injury is a horrible way for him to begin his Carlton chapter but he will hopefully be on track for a round 1 debut.

The attention that he will attract will undoubtedly help the development of Charlie and Harry - which I believe will be the greatest value that Mitch will provide to the group.

If he were to play as a permanent forward, I believe he's capable of a 40 goal season but I'm yet to be convinced that this will be his role for the entire year.

Ultimately he's a much needed bigger body who is buzzing to be a part of our great club and I'm very excited to see the Governor take flight.

What do you think?

Mitch McGovern.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patrick Cripps - VIDEO

I couldn't wait any longer...

What more can be said?

This guy is one of the best players in the league.

The ferocity he plays with is perfectly suited to his role as captain and he will lead the way for the rest of his career.

He's definitely in the prime of his career and we must capitalise on it as a club by putting the right infrastructure around him.

Another 22 games in 2019 would be heavenly and perhaps 20+ goals is a reasonable target for him.

What do you think?

2018 highlights - youtube.com/watch?v=r5wSEMHHRyo

Cripps.png

Kade Simpson - VIDEO

Not much else can be said about our 307 game club champion.

We should be very grateful to have such a person within the confines of our club, someone who our younger players can look at with a serious amount of inspiration.

There were moments in 2018 where he might have seemed to be slowing down but he responded as he always does, finishins the season with a 26 disposal average.

A lot of what we do this year will be defined by our approach to the game and therefore my only expectation of Simmo is that he continues to lead by example, put the club first and help fast track our development.

It will be a sad day when he is no longer lining up in the navy blue.

What do you expect from Simmo in 2019?

Simpson.png

Liam Stocker - VIDEO

The draft night surprise package - it's hard to get a read on where to place expectations on Liam.

I appreciate his story, growing up abroad, as this undoubtedly would give him a perspective on the world that none of his draft class have.

If he played any more than 12 games in 2019, it would be a big tick for me.

What do you think?

Liam Stocker.png

Matthew Kennedy - VIDEO

A tough run with injuries didn't really allow us to see the best of Matthew Kennedy as he battled his way to 12 games in 2018.

I found it hard to understand just what type of impact he will have for the club - but we need to keep in mind that he too is 21 years old.

2019 looms as a big year for him and he finds confidence in his body.

Many players talk about the "moment" they feel confident with their place in the league and that's what I'm hoping for Kennedy in 2019.

Ultimately we need another midfield bull and I think this is our guy.

What do you think?

Matthew Kennedy.png

Tom De Koning - VIDEO

It was pleasing to see young Tom get a taste for the AFL, albeit under trying circumstances.

Was he ready to play? Probably not. However given the state of our list at the time and our mindset for the future, those two games will hopefully pay us back. I'd think he will use that experience as motivation in the pre-season.

I'd love to see him assert himself in the VFL throughout 2019, in readiness for a huge year in the seniors from 2020.

What do you think?

Tom De Koning.png

Zac Fisher - VIDEO

2018 saw Zac Fisher lay the foundation of what could genuinely be a breakout season in 2019.

He exceeded my expectations with his ability to win the ball in congestion and use of his creativity.

I can only imagine that living with Crippa would have his off-field habits at an elite level and the bond that the two of them share is definitely evident.

I'm really excited to see the growth in Zac this season and I would have no hesitation in backing him to play every game and average over 20 disposals.

What about you - what is his ceiling this year?

Zac Fisher.png

Dale Thomas - VIDEO

It was good to see Thomas have an injury-free season in 2018.

His creativity is what defines him and it's a balancing act between supporting Dale to be himself but also doing what's best for the team.

I still believe he has enough quality to warrant a spot in the side this year and I'd like to see him evolve into a more reliable "elder statesman"

I'd like to see him at the 23-24 possession mark again in 2019 and with a year of continuous footy under his belt, he should be able to have a significant impact.

What do you think?

Thomas.png

You know BlueAbroad when I watch your videos it reinforces to me that what we post on boards can be quite different to the way we project in life.

There is little way I could have appreciated your 'style' and insight into players from a distance, if for only some words dropped onto a forum populated with so many varying opinions. You've clearly had a good think about what you've put forward and taken the time out to.........take a chance.

Good on you. Sorry you won't be reeling in the big bucks from your posts, but your time and effort is appreciated.

You know BlueAbroad when I watch your videos it reinforces to me that what we post on boards can be quite different to the way we project in life.

There is little way I could have appreciated your 'style' and insight into players from a distance, if for only some words dropped onto a forum populated with so many varying opinions. You've clearly had a good think about what you've put forward and taken the time out to.........take a chance.

Good on you. Sorry you won't be reeling in the big bucks from your posts, but your time and effort is appreciated.

Thanks mate. I love this club with all of my heart and the whole Blue Abroad thing for me is a way to stay connected while I'm away. I have a nice job that I also love which pays enough.

If you asked me "what would you do for the rest of your life if money wasn't an issue?" my answer would be watch and talk Carlton.

I appreciate the support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back