2019 Pre-season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Bayern munich
I managed to go down while im on paternity leave this week.
The rucks were working off to the side in some drill work. Apeness & Jones - Darcy and Meek. All looked quite agile with Jones probably the least. Meek could step up.at Peel this year.
Cerra did a lap and then some single low key drill work at the west goals, kicks and ground balls. As he walked past he looked quite the specimen. He went back inside soon after. Its great seeing the development of these young blokes.
Brad hill was out there training, but not vocal enough for my liking as a leader.
Son son came out onto the pitch a bit later and did some one on one kicking.
Logue looks a weapon, I'm looking forward to him getting some senior games this year. Good kick, good in the one on ones and in the air.
Giro looks good, with a nice kick, can hopefully be better under pressure.
Banfield impressed in some of the drills as well.
I think i heard a few, come on Coxy, hurry ups. He does seem a little laconic.
Jesse did laps with a lot of the veiwers happy to see him.
It was a good morning

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2018-11-09/gallery-friday-training

Not sure who i'm more impressed with, Giro for doubling his weight or Darcy for losing a stack of weight.

Any training reports?
20 players out on the track including Brad Hill.
Session was practically non stop ball work with Adam Cerra only running laps before joining a trainer for a bit of agility work.
Cerra followed this up with some kick to kick with said training assistant.
A feature of his session was his low trajectory 40 metre kicks off both feet.
Adam also sans shoulder strapping.

Stand out for me today was Griffin Logue who dispelled any doubts about a lingering foot injury. Grif was moving beautifully with some solid running and marking and followed up with impressive kicking.

Mitch Crowden, another who caught my eye today with his laser beam kicking.

Apeness, Darcy, Meek and Jones spent some time away from the other group working on those tackle bags as shown on the clubs twitter or whatever it is.

Walters was there emerging from the gym late in the morning. Only did a bit of kick to kick work out on the ground.
I also saw Harley walking into the office at the carpark entrance but he hadn't come out onto the ground by 11.00 am.

Coach Lyon was out there and vocal and seemingly in good spirits with a little shadow boxing with an assistant and exchanging a joke with Roger.

The group finished up with 70 metre shuttle runs . I lost count after 20 but did notice Giro was setting a good example.
Sean Darcy was towards the lead on each run too.
Conditions were more than warm.

BTW; My friend who spotted Adam in the gym on Monday is adamant it was him. Pigs arse he was in Japan.

Last edited:

wayToGo_

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the club Instagram there is good footage of Michael Apeness destroying a tackle bag
Some will say it is a waste of a list spot but an extra one year extension should be triggered by his "performance" in the derby. And by "performance" I think we all know what I mean.

One_Wing

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dont know if people listened to Logues presser earlier or if this was already common info but his foot injury was the result of an extra bone in his foot rubbing against a tendon? They removed the bone so I can't see how there could be a recurrence of the injury which bodes well.
God some weird shit happens to our first round draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

masai

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Dont know if people listened to Logues presser earlier or if this was already common info but his foot injury was the result of an extra bone in his foot rubbing against a tendon? They removed the bone so I can't see how there could be a recurrence of the injury which bodes well.
Logue is like a young Elvis McPharlin, growing into his body still.

“ Logue & Lobb, coming to an oval near you in 2019 “.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reading that Logue has been watching McGovern, honestly rather he emulate Yeo and leave Cox to play intercept.
I’d prefer he watch Rance and base his game on his. You’re right, Cox, Duman and Hamling are better intercept marking defenders.

Last edited:

Docker82

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cox is not nearly as athletic and not nearly as good a kick than Logue. Logues attributes are perfect for a Third tall defender. Cox can mark well but hasn’t done it in defence yet and really it’s his best attribute by an enormous distance. Logue has shown zero as a midfielder - Zero. Having never played there at AFL or even senior WAFL level has a lot to do with that but I just don’t see it but I do see it as a defender.

People are just trying to fit Hogan, Lobb, Taberner, Cox, Hamling, Pearce, Logue, Darcy/Sandilands and some McCarthy into the same team. It just isn’t going to happen but if Cox is good enough he’ll take a Key Position spot at either end anyway.

Or is it just because Logue is a top ten pick and you don’t spend top 10 picks on defenders (well according to the masses anyway)? Well Michael Johnson had a very unique set of attributes and I’d use a top ten pick to replace him easily. Logue has perhaps more athleticism and is a pretty good kick as well. He just needs to learn how to read the game (which was one of his strengths at lower levels) and adjust to the pace of AFL and he’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom