2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

McCarthy has been written off by the media and some posters. He has certainly been below expectations. And it hasn't been simply because he was being asked to play a role that he is not really designed to play. The same question needs to be asked about every player now; Are you giving your best? If we get the best from McCarthy I think he can be impressive for us.

Conca and Colyer can bring something in that regard. Not going to be great players, but a team has many different aspects to it.

McCarthy has been written off by the media and some posters. He has certainly been below expectations. And it hasn't been simply because he was being asked to play a role that he is not really designed to play. The same question needs to be asked about every player now; Are you giving your best? If we get the best from McCarthy I think he can be impressive for us.

Conca and Colyer can bring something in that regard. Not going to be great players, but a team has many different aspects to it.
I think their value is what they can do for the team. They're like support players that buff the rest of the squad (if you've ever needed out in an RPG you'll know what I mean). Not great players in their own rights, but they'll lift the rest of the group beyond what they would offer on their own. Increasing the value on the whole. Great club men and on field leaders.

I have had to explain this to every bloke at the pub a million times but Dardy McCrafty isnt a true full forward. He played 3rd tall behind Cameron and Patton at GWS but at freo he has had to play as the full forward when Tabs is out or take second defender if he and Taberner are both playing. The best games he had were when he had Cox and Taberner in the forward line and played 3rd tall and he can use his leading ability and speed to run rings around the defender.

Imagine trying you're best to beat the best defenders when you're playing as a full forward and know your strengths are in a different position; youd lose interest fast being beaten by Rance's, Phil Davis's every week.

Best example of his work was when we beat Carlton at home when we had Tabs and Cox in the forward line (yes I know Carlton are crap) but they had to put Jack Silvagni on him as a 3rd defender and he made Jack look stupid. I sit in the 140 block at Optus stadium and the amount of uncontested marks or leads he had on Jack was huge, couldn't get near him... Thats his game.

Now imagine having a forward consisting of Hogan, Lobb, Taberner/cox and Dardy and playing 3rd or 4th tall with those two new guys beside you. You will see his true game style this season which is leading away from the key forwards and having some 3rd rate defender try and stop him. Being played in his true role = getting his desire to play back.

I have had to explain this to every bloke at the pub a million times but Dardy McCrafty isnt a true full forward. He played 3rd tall behind Cameron and Patton at GWS but at freo he has had to play as the full forward when Tabs is out or take second defender if he and Taberner are both playing. The best games he had were when he had Cox and Taberner in the forward line and played 3rd tall and he can use his leading ability and speed to run rings around the defender.

Imagine trying you're best to beat the best defenders when you're playing as a full forward and know your strengths are in a different position; youd lose interest fast being beaten by Rance's, Phil Davis's every week.

Best example of his work was when we beat Carlton at home when we had Tabs and Cox in the forward line (yes I know Carlton are crap) but they had to put Jack Silvagni on him as a 3rd defender and he made Jack look stupid. I sit in the 140 block at Optus stadium and the amount of uncontested marks or leads he had on Jack was huge, couldn't get near him... Thats his game.

Now imagine having a forward consisting of Hogan, Lobb, Taberner/cox and Dardy and playing 3rd or 4th tall with those two new guys beside you. You will see his true game style this season which is leading away from the key forwards and having some 3rd rate defender try and stop him. Being played in his true role = getting his desire to play back.
Yes. That's what we are hoping. Supporters may need to look at his score assists and involvements rather than goals kicked

The problem i had with watching dards was his lack of run. He seemed quite lazy. Hopefully this was a 1 off or he was carrying an injury

Yes. That's what we are hoping. Supporters may need to look at his score assists and involvements rather than goals kicked
The problem for Dardy is Cox had better score involvements and goal assists last season and equalled him for goals. Cox pretty much beat him in every stat except marks i50, and did that whilst smashing him in contested marks and even going into the ruck at times. I think a lot of people think Brennan is slow but he isn't - he's one of those guys that just looks slower than he is. He could easily play the third tall. I'm loving it because I think both are super talented and now Hogan and Lobb come in, both will be pushing each other to be better - no gifted games for lack of tall forward options anymore.

The problem for Dardy is Cox had better score involvements and goal assists last season and equalled him for goals. Cox pretty much beat him in every stat except marks i50, and did that whilst smashing him in contested marks and even going into the ruck at times. I think a lot of people think Brennan is slow but he isn't - he's one of those guys that just looks slower than he is. He could easily play the third tall. I'm loving it because I think both are super talented and now Hogan and Lobb come in, both will be pushing each other to be better - no gifted games for lack of tall forward options anymore.
Cox said Cam's a small (;)).
I think Brennan is quick in the mind. I do recall though one of the commentators saying that we didn't have a option down the line because Cox couldn't get separation from his defender. Taberner and Cam seem to find that easier to achieve. But Taberner seems more likely to make poor decisions or a skill error when he gets the ball up the ground.
The make-up of our forward line next year will be intriguing.

Still looks like a rake. Hopefully gets some muscle

If Cam can get rid of some weight and get aerobically fitter he could play a role further up the ground perhaps? A high half forward who can use his kicking skills to deliver the ball to the genuine forwards and also move deep into the forward line at times if he has a miss match or just to mix things up a bit.

Pre season has struck again, here we are all salivating about the new recruits and how well the rest of the players look atm but deep down we all know it can quickly turn to rubbish at the whim of the injury gods or any number of other things that can and do go wrong.

No false hope this time however as this is starting to look like we have some real talent and most of them have got plenty of footy left in them. I am staying positive unless reality dictates otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he is very much an emotion and momentum player, if he was being beaten and played out of position consistently it would piss him off and throw his game out of whack. It effects everyone differently. I had a bloke on my team who would chuck a slight hissy-fit if he wasn't played as a forward so when he was sent down back he tried but it wasn't 100% and it got worse when the opposition started to beat him. On the other foot we had guys whose put in 100% no matter if they hated the position.

But when he is on (Carlton game as example again) and he is being played where he can play and take on the 3rd player it honestly looked like he was having the time of his life; dragging Jack wherever he wanted and kicked 3 goals.. I clearly remember twice he led Jack to the wing where I sit and he had a huge grin taking these marks with Jack struggling; and I rate his inside 50 kicking as well.

I think he is very much an emotion and momentum player, if he was being beaten and played out of position consistently it would piss him off and throw his game out of whack. It effects everyone differently. I had a bloke on my team who would chuck a slight hissy-fit if he wasn't played as a forward so when he was sent down back he tried but it wasn't 100% and it got worse when the opposition started to beat him. On the other foot we had guys whose put in 100% no matter if they hated the position.

But when he is on (Carlton game as example again) and he is being played where he can play and take on the 3rd player it honestly looked like he was having the time of his life; dragging Jack wherever he wanted and kicked 3 goals.. I clearly remember twice he led Jack to the wing where I sit and he had a huge grin taking these marks with Jack struggling; and I rate his inside 50 kicking as well.
In Hogan, Lobb, Walters and Bennell we have players who can arguably be best 1-3 for position in the league. If that actually came off we'd be all smiles.

I think players like him would also perform better if they don't see the team as being in a holding pattern, which you could argue we have been for much of the past 3 years. I don't think there should be any talk about re-builds next year, even though it may end up that way.

I think players like him would also perform better if they don't see the team as being in a holding pattern, which you could argue we have been for much of the past 3 years. I don't think there should be any talk about re-builds next year, even though it may end up that way.
He definitely is the kind of player who requires a free flowing play-style so he can run off wherever he wants and leaves the Full forwards to do their thing.

Exactly and coupled with the fact he had a year out of footy. Expecting improvement in all areas from Dardy this season.

Hats off to whoever designed the fitness and nutrition programs over the off season - and to the players for seeming to follow them. Every single 1st to 4th year player looks to have worked pretty hard to get their bodies in better shape than last year. Duman and Giro actually have muscle definition. Crowden, Cerra, Brayshaw, Meek, Darcy, Blakely, Langdon, North, Dixon, Cox, Tucker, Hughes... Logue looks an absolute beast. Crossing fingers that discipline continues and we reap the rewards on field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back