2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Does it really matter if people pair them up as they are both defenders and haven't fully established themselvesin the best 22?

There is 6 spots available and they are both trying to get a round 1 spot.
It doenst matter at all because everything is an opinion on here and nothing is set in stone. Im not just not seeing people saying Swita and Tabs are in opposition to each other for a spot even though both are competing for forward spots. Yep, the coaches could chose to go with Swita if Tabs are not in form to increase speed in the forward half, but its likely McCarthy or Cox are Tabs main opposition. Simmarly if the coaches wanted four smalls then they'd go with Duman over LOgue, but its unlikely that they'd be chosing between those two as they as different as Tabs and Swita are in playing style. Either way, Im not nearly as phased as Ive come across so Ill stop bringing up the same arguments again anyway.

Really good. He's only joined in training since after the Christmas break. Before then he was doing a heap of rehab. He's skills seem excellent. Im pretty sure the knock ay him at Essendon was that at times he didnt slow down after going on a run and his disposal suffered as a result. He's kicking has been first class from what ive seen. When you look at most best 22's on here the thing missing is probably just a little bit of extra pace. If Colyer's selected he can provide that.
This is one player for some reason I have been more excited than most people about. I think his style suits us more than the bombers

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I think we are a little to “nice” across most lines - especially our back line. Most top teams have one or two players across each line that you know will hit hard and instigate some niggle.

For us, the players you named should be good. I also liked Cerra’s last game against the Pies where we dumped De Goey into the ground. Jordan tried to wrestle Adam to the ground, but Cerra showed strength and kept his feet whilst smirking at him. Was great to see. He also got into some niggle with Pendles at a stoppage before big Cox cleaned him up.

Others that could bring that hard edge include: Hogan, Luke Ryan (maybe), Schultz looks like a pesty Ballantyne type, Crowden, and I would hope that living together sees Cox and Duman back each other up. But yeah, it’s slim pickings for who our physical players will be. Would be awesome if one of Hamling, AP or Logue could bring a bit of fear to our back line. People will say it’s old fashioned, but most the top teams still have these players.
Why is Ryan a “maybe”? He is an aggressive prick and usually runs the full length of the oval to back up a team mate and mouth off. He’s great!

It doenst matter at all because everything is an opinion on here and nothing is set in stone. Im not just not seeing people saying Swita and Tabs are in opposition to each other for a spot even though both are competing for forward spots. Yep, the coaches could chose to go with Swita if Tabs are not in form to increase speed in the forward half, but its likely McCarthy or Cox are Tabs main opposition. Simmarly if the coaches wanted four smalls then they'd go with Duman over LOgue, but its unlikely that they'd be chosing between those two as they as different as Tabs and Swita are in playing style. Either way, Im not nearly as phased as Ive come across so Ill stop bringing up the same arguments again anyway.

Not sure about the tabs v Switta comparison as a good example considering Tabs is 199cm and Switta is a Dwarf

Why is Ryan a “maybe”? He is an aggressive prick and usually runs the full length of the oval to back up a team mate and mouth off. He’s great!
Yeah I’ve seen that a couple of times. I put maybe because I would love to see that each and every week.

From all our backline players, Ryan is the most likely to bring the niggle. Hoping Duman is a regular member of the back six too. Being house mates, they could be our biff brothers.

Banfield can continue niggling away in the midfield, and probably needs one more to help him out. Wouldn’t mind seeing big boy Sean using his body like Mumford used too. That would sort the mids out.

Then up forward, I’m liking the thought of Hogan and Schultz as our chief instigators. Leaves Swita to buzz around applying the tackles - which will also build frustration in opposition teams.

I’m not by any means calling for an overly aggressive game plan or anything. Just want a couple of players in each line that will be renowned for the hard stuff. Never deviating off the line of the ball, crunching tackles and bruising bumps. We can then add the silk around that.

Yeah I’ve seen that a couple of times. I put maybe because I would love to see that each and every week.

From all our backline players, Ryan is the most likely to bring the niggle. Hoping Duman is a regular member of the back six too. Being house mates, they could be our biff brothers.

Banfield can continue niggling away in the midfield, and probably needs one more to help him out. Wouldn’t mind seeing big boy Sean using his body like Mumford used too. That would sort the mids out.

Then up forward, I’m liking the thought of Hogan and Schultz as our chief instigators. Leaves Swita to buzz around applying the tackles - which will also build frustration in opposition teams.

I’m not by any means calling for an overly aggressive game plan or anything. Just want a couple of players in each line that will be renowned for the hard stuff. Never deviating off the line of the ball, crunching tackles and bruising bumps. We can then add the silk around that.

I'd add Bewley to that list too ;)

I'd add Bewley to that list too ;)
Ohhhhhh I hope so. Haven’t really seen anything other than his highlights, but assumed he was more of a bulked up Josh Kelly/Tom Scully type. Just toil away racking up the possessions and the kms, no time for niggle. Thought the knock on him was he’s too outside. Although, many training watchers say he’s plying his craft a bit more on the inside - certainly has the frame for it!

Not sure about the tabs v Switta comparison as a good example considering Tabs is 199cm and Switta is a Dwarf
They play different roles and have completely different skills sets.Just like similarly heighted Logue and Duman. Also just like Gibson and Birchal or Maleski and Leo Barry.

Went to training. Though I do think that we'll be much more competitive this year, don't expect a radically different game style. Bennell was special for the drills that he took part in.
Would love to hear a bit more about the session and less about Duman vs Logue.

Did the game plan look like it could be effective with the new recruits
How’d Jesse Hogan look in the drills?
Is Bewley still standing out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They play different roles and have completely different skills sets.Just like similarly heighted Logue and Duman. Also just like Gibson and Birchal or Maleski and Leo Barry.
Backline;

Ryan Hamling Logue
Duman AP Wilson

Let the midfielders do the midfielding (Blakely, SHill, Cerra, Conca). Maybe they drift back as defensive mids, but would like to see our back 6 locked down and take shape this year. Whether that’s Duman (my choice), Hughes, Nyhuis, Carter, or Watson - not too fussed, whichever one is best - just lock down our back 6 sooner rather than later. However, if it’s flexibility Ross wants, I think Duman and Carter will offer more midfield options than the others, whilst providing speed and skills off half back.

Has there been any noticeable drills around the new rule changes? Taking the ball out of the ruck, playing on from kick-ins and the hands in the back rule are the ones that interest me.

Our key position flexibility really gives Ross the chess pieces to dominate other clubs in the air, or intercept players to
shine.
For all the Logue, Duman talk what about Cox down back? Kid could be a McGovern clone.
That leaves Wilson, Ryan, to just attack and set up plays, also the way Jetta plays we could do the same with SHill, he is
an offensive weapon, it's time we started to prolong his game.
Having Cox play forward/back is a nice option to have.

Conca I think is likely to play that role. Im pretty sure Alex Pearce would be prepared to step up if he thought it was required. Blakely didnt seem to mind a bit of niggle when he played on great mids a few seasons ago. Hogan and Swita could be candidates for the forward line like you said. Not sure about niggle, but considering how hard Bewley has had to get his opportunity and the fact he is scary strong he might yet surprise as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back