2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

On the one hand... But on the other, we have recruited Brayshaw, he's a born leader and committed to excellence and a team ethic instead of self. He will bring a lot of the youngsters with him in a quest for self discipline etc whereas ordinarily it's handed down by the older folk and it's a bit "yeah, whatever". For that matter, add at the least, Cerra and Logue as people who don't just rely on natural ability and then do what the hell they want, but back ability with hard endeavour, they're all setting the standard for what it takes to try and succeed, doesn't look like they're over indulging in pies and nightclubs.

At least, I hope I'm right on that and not just reading into it the vibes that I want to see...

You can probably add Giro to that list - the guy has gone and worked away from the club to improve his condition and then comes back and smashes the time trial. What I've read about Bewley and Valente suggests that both of those guys are driven to succeed and will keep working to improve themselves. Exciting times.

I had a chat with a particular indigenous senior player over coffee in Melbourne and asked if it was a challenge to keep the younger guys focused, on track and invested. His response was succinct. "They know what is expected of them and what happens if they don't."

So the culture within the group was quite strong, now we don't have as many experienced guys around flying the right flag the club, leadership group etc need to ingrain that same single minded attitude towards commitment to their career as professional athletes.
That’s why Neale is such a big loss, a young leader with his professionalism is such an asset.

You can probably add Giro to that list - the guy has gone and worked away from the club to improve his condition and then comes back and smashes the time trial. What I've read about Bewley and Valente suggests that both of those guys are driven to succeed and will keep working to improve themselves. Exciting times.

And don't forget my buddy Banfield. He held a presser on Docker TV awhile back and talked about how his body held up well last year but he's now working on the mental part of the game. No way he's gonna do anything stupid over the break. He's not getting a lot of love in the "Best 22" thread, but he had third highest number of tackles on the team and only played 20 games last year. Averaged 4.1 a game. Same as Mundy and behind Neale (4.2 tackles a game). Good company to be in. Plus was an outstanding tagger for a rookie. There's no way RTB doesn't find a place for him again the the 22 for most of the year.

Dockers have a ton of young players like Banfield, Brayshaw, Valente, Giro, Cerra, etc... who are strong character guys. This really bodes well for the club's future. I'm more worried about the older players who've had issues in the past like Bennell and BHill. Also, it shouldn't all be RTB giving this message. Hopefully, the skipper is pressing on the guys that need a little extra reminder.

I know banfields family really great people.
Plus baily banfield was only 20 in first season so im content to wait for him to keep improving for a couple of years and be better than someone like bewely whos 23.
He'll push for a spot but im not concerned if he doesn't become regular 22.

I know banfields family really great people.
Plus baily banfield was only 20 in first season so im content to wait for him to keep improving for a couple of years and be better than someone like bewely whos 23.
He'll push for a spot but im not concerned if he doesn't become regular 22.

I totally agree. He showed so much potential last year I’m just hoping for a step forward. Lots of time to develop as you said.

Btw, tell his family next time you see them that Bailey’s American buddy says hi. Haha.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think I'm actually most excited to see what Logue can produce with a decent run at it. In that video linked above he's running next to Fyfe and makes the skipper look small, not so much height as body mass. He's just a freaking unit.
So many other new players I'm really interested to see too.
Bloody off season, drags me in every year!

I think I'm actually most excited to see what Logue can produce with a decent run at it. In that video linked above he's running next to Fyfe and makes the skipper look small, not so much height as body mass. He's just a freaking unit.
So many other new players I'm really interested to see too.
Bloody off season, drags me in every year!
upload_2018-12-13_23-55-35.png

Yeah I thought the same when I saw it. Absolute monster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m concerned that the established players are teaching the Freo game plan. I was hoping they were going away to discuss a NEW game plan :(
There is certainly a change in the game plan for the upcoming season this has been the focus for the playing group throughout the pre season to date

Before we lost tabs we were playing an exciting style. Lose a key target, rotate in some kids and it fell away (in line with our midfield getting smacked) I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel, just go back to the sharp ball movement we had in the early season and tweak it

Wow. Just hope he plays like Tarzan not Jane.

Both in the games he's already played for Freo and in training, he doesn't shirk a contest. He's a big lad and uses his body well. He's pretty damn quick and was in the first 6 to finish the 2km time trial (3rd if I remember correctly). The guys primed to make a big impact.

Ok, how many of you paused Fyfe’s vlog when they were coning out the game plan on the floor to try and see if you could decipher what the plan was?? I totally did NOT do that......

Ok maybe i did. But I won’t admit to it. Season can’t come fast enough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back