2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to say that hearing that Giro went away and worked with a running coach and then smashes the time trial excites me. It points to dedication and professionalism that will ensure that he gets the best out of himself.

I admit to being an optimist but I look at "Shoosher" Darcy, Brayshaw, Bewley, Valente, Cerra, Giro and even a newly slimmed down Scott Jones and think we've gone and bagged a bunch of blokes who have good character and a strong work ethic.

One guy who (understandably) hasn't been mentioned much is Shane Kersten. If Dardy McCarthy struggles or gets injured, it's possible that Kersten could thrive as the third tall. He's a good kick and against the oppo's third tall defender he might just be dangerous. He'd need to show some form at Peel first because at the moment there's a lot of competition for spots in our forward line - hard to believe isn't it.

I have to say that hearing that Giro went away and worked with a running coach and then smashes the time trial excites me. It points to dedication and professionalism that will ensure that he gets the best out of himself.

I admit to being an optimist but I look at "Shoosher" Darcy, Brayshaw, Bewley, Valente, Cerra, Giro and even a newly slimmed down Scott Jones and think we've gone and bagged a bunch of blokes who have good character and a strong work ethic.

One guy who (understandably) hasn't been mentioned much is Shane Kersten. If Dardy McCarthy struggles or gets injured, it's possible that Kersten could thrive as the third tall. He's a good kick and against the oppo's third tall defender he might just be dangerous. He'd need to show some form at Peel first because at the moment there's a lot of competition for spots in our forward line - hard to believe isn't it.

Don’t think old Kersten will get a game in 2019...will be at South Fremantle in 2020.

Agree with the good character and work ethic with the above mentioned. Happy to see Jonesy cut down the flab too. He will never be best 22, but like Jonathan Griffin..will see minutes when injuries occur.

Thats a long bow my freind. But enjoy your optimism

I'm hoping giro doesn't turn into a menegola. Great running power but never really hurts you

Let me get this straight. The very same Menegola that we delisted and now statistically is more highly rated than G.Ablett on Champion Data???
In my dreams Giro becomes that good!
9efb52de694343fdfa5b293efc254aa7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me get this straight. The very same Menegola that we delisted and now statistically is more highly rated than G.Ablett on Champion Data???
In my dreams Giro becomes that good!
9efb52de694343fdfa5b293efc254aa7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We've been over this how many times? Menegola was trash when on our list. He went away and worked harder and now he's decent. The end.

Don’t think old Kersten will get a game in 2019...will be at South Fremantle in 2020.

Agree with the good character and work ethic with the above mentioned. Happy to see Jonesy cut down the flab too. He will never be best 22, but like Jonathan Griffin..will see minutes when injuries occur.

I thought the thing Jones brings is a good footy brain. He brought the ball down to the advantage of smaller players. If he can become more mobile, I think he could be useful.

We've been over this how many times? Menegola was trash when on our list. He went away and worked harder and now he's decent. The end.

He has always been a hard work and elite runner.

The problem was when Menegola was at Freo he was always fricken injured or coming back from injury and never really got the opportunity to establish himself.

When the hard decisions on who to cut came about it was understandable that a player like that would go (they were still carrying Morabito at that stage too and there's only so many perennially rehabbing players you can responsibly fit on a list).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting the list of players training with the midfield group

Mundy, Brayshaw, North, Ed, Harley, B Hill, Blakey

Fyfe running laps, and Cerra, Conca training with the D Fence.

Fyfe was finning laps with someone I didn’t recognise, but it might have been Valente.. if someone else could confirm!

Last edited:
Watched an hour or so of the side group.

Fyfe, Hughes, Ryan, Sturt, Bewley all doing additional run thrus. Sturt was very controlled with his pace. Sensible coaching as they build his aerobic capacity.

Kersten was just running laps on his own at a moderate pace and didn’t seem to be labouring too hard. Personally feel he looks underdone and makes mccarthy looked ripped.

Tucker and Hogan doing some goal kicking. Tucker kicking out to Hogan with Hogan return kicking for goals. Hogan has a great set of hands doesn’t drop anything. Ryan was heckling him as he kicked for goal a couple of times from deep in the pocket and made a quick $20

Also got to see the defenders practising holding there space. They were divided into 2 groups

Group 1
Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Watson and Carter. Logue Was easily out muscling Pearce and Hamling. Still a little clumsy in the contest compared to Pearce and Hamling in the sense he wasnt getting clean marks as his opponent was getting there hands in but was still winning the ball. He does have clean strong hands when the opposition hands aren’t in the way. Will be the perfect third tall. He will scare the pants off opposition defenders if he is rolling off to spoil or mark in a contest (Gov style)If he hits you it will hurt.

Group 2
Cerra, Conca, Duman, Nhyuis, Wilson. Wilson and Roger Hayden providing some good feedback to Cerra about his body positioning. Cerra looks set for half back. Possibly rotating through mid with Conca. Will be interesting to see cerra a emergence and Conca coming in pushes SHill into the midfield.

In regards to the Duman and Logue debate it appeared with the group break ups that Duman is being moulded more as Wilson, Ryan, S hill type defender that can play as an undersized tall defender if required. Logue looks to be the third tall option that as he develops will likely start taking second and best defenders. Ie they will play different rolls.

Carter looks a good prospect. His body positioning was outstanding for a first year player particularly considering who he was positioning against. This is where the NGA and Peel alignment may be very good for us as with Freo being involved heavily in his development at Peel they would have been able develop him as a HBF where as if he played at Claremont or TAC cup he would have played as a mid/wing. As it stands his defensive body pisitioning skills looked more comfortablethan Cerra probably due to the guidance of Freo and Peel (not suggesting he is better than Cerra because he isn’t)

Lastly hot out ther today!

My first training session of the summer.

Most of the things I was going to say have already been said - just a couple of extras:

Switowski was also running and not taking part in the ballwork.

Sonny was not out there. I was told he was in the gym.

I second the comments on Jason Carter. To me, he looked quick and agile and clean with the ball. I know his ball handling was something that he was criticised about, but I certainly didn't see it that way.

Andy was looking good - very involved.

Mundy cruises round in second gear looking like he is playing a different game to everyone else. He goes thru spaces that aren't there, he does everything really well, and makes it look easy. He looks like he could go on forever.

It was great to catch up with jedi mind tricks and sherrif

Last edited:
Thanks for that info.

A little concerned about Bennell and Walters shaping up for the midfield, and hope we can have others dominating the midfield time. I think our forward line is supper exciting if they can play together with our talls and function as a unit. But perhaps there is enough confidence in the likes of Switkowski, Matera, Schultz, Sturt etc to allow that to happen.

Was the Big Boss Ross in charge today, or were the cobblers running the drills?

Thanks for that info.

A little concerned about Bennell and Walters shaping up for the midfield, and hope we can have others dominating the midfield time. I think our forward line is supper exciting if they can play together with our talls and function as a unit. But perhaps there is enough confidence in the likes of Switkowski, Matera, Schultz, Sturt etc to allow that to happen.

Was the Big Boss Ross in charge today, or were the cobblers running the drills?

Cobblers

My first training session of the summer.

Most of the things I was going to say have already been said - just a couple of extras:

Switowski was also running and not taking part in the ballwork.

Sonny was not out there. I was told he was in the gym.

I second the comments on Jason Carter. To me, he looked quick and agile and clean with the ball. I know his ball handling was something that he was criticised about, but I certainly didn't see it that way.

Andy was looking good - very involved.

Mundy cruises round in second gear looking like he is playing a different game to everyone else. He goes thru spaces that aren't there, he does everything really well, and makes it look easy. He looks like he could go on forever.

It was great to catch up with jedi mind tricks and sherrif
That paragraph about Mundy thrilled me. It was beautiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back