Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Thanks for that info.

A little concerned about Bennell and Walters shaping up for the midfield, and hope we can have others dominating the midfield time. I think our forward line is supper exciting if they can play together with our talls and function as a unit. But perhaps there is enough confidence in the likes of Switkowski, Matera, Schultz, Sturt etc to allow that to happen.

Was the Big Boss Ross in charge today, or were the cobblers running the drills?

Concerned that Bennell would play mid? Why? That's his best position?

elsleevador

All Australian
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
In the sessions I've been too, Bennell has been involved in everything so I wouldn't be concerned
Have you seen him do the warm-up run throughs and time trials?
I’ve only missed a handful of sessions and whilst he joins in for the balls, I continuously see him standing out of the run-only facets of training. I’m frothing on his effort and skills during the drills!
Obviously they have changed their plan for him.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t think old Kersten will get a game in 2019...will be at South Fremantle in 2020.

Agree with the good character and work ethic with the above mentioned. Happy to see Jonesy cut down the flab too. He will never be best 22, but like Jonathan Griffin..will see minutes when injuries occur.
Kersten will be at $ubi.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Until he actually has games under his belt and has come out unscathed I think we will be better served with him forward.

I watched the midfield training with particular interest and Harley was the cleanest and got the most extractions... he was very Mundy esc, and just moved like poetry and ran off with the ball from a contested scenario.

I think Harley has lost some of his pace off the mark and speed generally so inside mid may be his go in the midfield.

Should he play forward.... we have extras fwd now but a little bereft in the mid.. if he keeps extracting like he is at training... happy dayz..

Having said that , it’s on January. Lots of things things can change.

Having Harley cut through a pack and deliver cleanly to the leading forwards would be a sight to see every week . Again and again !

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched the midfield training with particular interest and Harley was the cleanest and got the most extractions... he was very Mundy esc, and just moved like poetry and ran off with the ball from a contested scenario.

I think Harley has lost some of his pace off the mark and speed generally so inside mid may be his go in the midfield.

Should he play forward.... we have extras fwd now but a little bereft in the mid.. if he keeps extracting like he is at training... happy dayz..

Having said that , it’s on January. Lots of things things can change.

Having Harley cut through a pack and deliver cleanly to the leading forwards would be a sight to see every week . Again and again !

Has he genuinely lost speed or is he just conservative with load on calf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has he genuinely lost speed or is he just conservative with load on calf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the big ? .... hard to tell until the season really starts, only looks 3/4 pace right now, but in training it’s the in close decision, evasion skills and kicking skills that look very clean.

On the outside spread he’s got a loping style that looks 3/4 pace. Whether that’s management of his calves? Only those inside the club know!

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
These training reports have been great so far.

Besides the fact now my hopes for Bennell are up!! Where is my doom and gloom Bennell posts!!

They have been great and it's also good to see different posters opinions

I like how some match up.

From what I've seen so far it's hard not to be positive this season. I will add that Wed session I thought that some of the kicking skills needed improvement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Must be a good session today. Eagerly awaiting some reports... much like a nestling anticipating the return of their mother

63EAC2CF-5579-4961-A9AF-773B73F61BB7.jpeg

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
An enjoyable morning today at training: no one got injured which is a blessing with today’s news.
Stephen Hill was walking around the oval (8 times I think) at a fairly good pace. It must be boring and lonely for him, but he seems to be almost the only long term injury we have at the moment, which is good. The one player I didn’t see was Kersten.
Fyfe (who has had another haircut) and Hogan ran together, pounding out the Ks shoulder to shoulder, then kicking to each other and taking potshots at goal. I reckon Hogan is only a few cm taller than Fyfe. Neither took part in the game simulations. Fyfe couldn’t have been more accomodating to the group of young fans at the fence asking for a selfie. Hogan took his shirt off to change, causing one of the fans to excitedly reach for her phone and... accidentally take a photo of herself.
Walters, Bewley, Valentin, Watson and Sturt also trained away from the main group on the other side of the oval.
The main group is pretty big, so it was hard to keep track of them. I hadn’t noticed Colyer before so spent some time looking for him and then watching him in sims. He is short, but a little more solid than I thought, and was nippy, clean with his hands and involved in play a fair bit.
Conca did one impressive act that I remember - he smothered a kick off the boot and in almost the same action, took possession of the ball and kicked it to a loose man.
Who has the best training session? Blakely was in everything, and Lobb took some good leading marks. But Bennell participated in every drill, and was involved in the sims with precise kicking, a fair pack mark and was at the beginning of a chain of kicks that went the length of the ground. I don’t know if he’s slowed down much because of being out of the game for so long, but he can still get to the right places and deliver the ball on a platter.

Are we just setting ourselves up to be let down with all of these Bennel TTHD pre season reports?

*Please God, PLEASE, let him stay fit and out of trouble through the preseason and beyond*

It's not so much Harley TTHD as much as he is fit and is showing just how clean and skillful he is.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Are we just setting ourselves up to be let down with all of these Bennel TTHD pre season reports?

*Please God, PLEASE, let him stay fit and out of trouble through the preseason and beyond*
The ones who will be let down are the Benell haters. The rest of us just hope he can find his way through it all to an AFL career.

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
s
An enjoyable morning today at training: no one got injured which is a blessing with today’s news.
Stephen Hill was walking around the oval (8 times I think) at a fairly good pace. It must be boring and lonely for him, but he seems to be almost the only long term injury we have at the moment, which is good. The one player I didn’t see was Kersten.
Fyfe (who has had another haircut) and Hogan ran together, pounding out the Ks shoulder to shoulder, then kicking to each other and taking potshots at goal. I reckon Hogan is only a few cm taller than Fyfe. Neither took part in the game simulations. Fyfe couldn’t have been more accomodating to the group of young fans at the fence asking for a selfie. Hogan took his shirt off to change, causing one of the fans to excitedly reach for her phone and... accidentally take a photo of herself.
Walters, Bewley, Valentin, Watson and Sturt also trained away from the main group on the other side of the oval.
The main group is pretty big, so it was hard to keep track of them. I hadn’t noticed Colyer before so spent some time looking for him and then watching him in sims. He is short, but a little more solid than I thought, and was nippy, clean with his hands and involved in play a fair bit.
Conca did one impressive act that I remember - he smothered a kick off the boot and in almost the same action, took possession of the ball and kicked it to a loose man.
Who has the best training session? Blakely was in everything, and Lobb took some good leading marks. But Bennell participated in every drill, and was involved in the sims with precise kicking, a fair pack mark and was at the beginning of a chain of kicks that went the length of the ground. I don’t know if he’s slowed down much because of being out of the game for so long, but he can still get to the right places and deliver the ball on a platter.
I am salivating at the thought of Hogan and Fyfe playing kick to kick while Bennell is ripping it up on the track

Please don’t pinch me I’m enjoying this dream

Remove this Banner Ad

Back