Training 2019 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Training: New faces impress
Mitchell Jones
Jan 18, 2019 1:24PM

North Melbourne has capped off a big first week back on the track with a no holds barred match simulation at Arden Street on Friday morning.

The bevy of new faces was the primary focus heading into the session, with the likes of Aaron Hall, Dom Tyson and Tom Campbell quick to impress those at their new club.

A high-quality offensive midfielder, Hall was impactful in transition, using his pace to move the ball forward inside 50 and create goal scoring opportunities.

The former Sun has rarely looked out of place since arriving at the club, and Friday was no exception, with the 28-year-old looking comfortable around the likes of Shaun Higgins and Ben Cunnington.

(Aaron Hall pic)

Fellow midfielder Tyson was also a standout, finding plenty of the ball through the middle of the ground.

Eager to secure a spot in North’s midfield rotation this season, Tyson not only displayed his ability to win the ball on the inside, but also his knack to get his hands on the ball in space and use it effectively.

(Dom Tyson pic)

Recruited to bolster the Roos’ ruckstocks at the end of 2018, Campbell wasted no time showing his intentions, with the big man filling the hole in defence, and taking strong intercept marks.

His ruck work was also a highlight, giving first use to his fellow on-ballers on multiple occasions.

It wasn’t just the experienced names making their presence felt, with a couple of untried players exhibiting their skills.

Father-son draftee Bailey Scott looked comfortable amongst his more experienced teammates, using his elite running capacity to dominate the wing, and move the ball forward.

Playing on the likes of Trent Dumont and Jared Polec, Scott was certainly put to the test, but took it all in his stride.

(Bailey Scott pic)

Declan Watson was prominent his his first hit-out after he missed the entire 2018 season with an ACL injury, but showed why he was taken quite highly in the 2016 draft.

Recruited as a defender, Watson is focusing on developing his forward craft this summer, and showed natural ability inside the forward 50, taking strong marks and hitting the scoreboard.

(Declan Watson pic)

Shaun Higgins, Paul Ahern and Luke Davies-Uniacke all performed well in the middle, while Ben McKay impressed in defence, and young forward Nick Larkey also making his mark on the game.

See some of the best pictures from the match simulation here:

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs
Recommended Content

Calf 'epidemic' hits Kangaroos with skipper sidelined

Mitch Cleary

Jan 18, 2019 1:30PM

642042-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Jack Ziebell is one of three Kangaroos sidelined with calf injuries

CAPTAIN Jack Ziebell headlines a trio of North Melbourne stars struck down by calf injuries that have caused interruptions to pre-season plans.

Ziebell joined defender Robbie Tarrant and forward Mason Wood on the sidelines during a one-hour match simulation at Arden Street on Friday.

After clocking heavy running loads prior to Christmas following minor knee surgery, Ziebell's latest setback restricted him to coaching duties during the physical hit-out.

Tarrant joined spearhead Ben Brown, who is on the comeback trail from post-season hip surgery, in a big running block away from the main group.

While Brown completed much of training on Monday and Wednesday, Wood was confined to stationary ball work with draftee Joel Crocker.

Wood's calf concern comes after several years battling various knee and soft tissue injuries – he has never played a round one match in his five years at the Roos.

Jasper Pittard remains on a modified program, while others missing match practice included Sam Durdin (leg), Cam Zurhaar (ankle), Will Walker (knee) and Taylor Garner (soft tissue).

Midfielder Ben Jacobs continues to increase his running capacity after a frustrating 2018 campaign with lingering concussion-like symptoms.

On the track, recruits Aaron Hall and Jared Polec collected plenty of ball, while a noticeably leaner Paul Ahern also impressed.

Ahern joined Todd Goldstein, Jed Anderson and Ben Cunnington in one centre square line-up, opposed to Tom Campbell, Hall, Shaun Higgins and Dom Tyson.

Anderson lasted close to half an hour before he was removed after a heavy tackle with Tom Wilkinson and was replaced by second-year midfielder Luke Davies-Uniacke.

Meanwhile in defence, Ben McKay started in a back six resembling a first-choice unit alongside Luke McDonald, Scott Thompson, Sam Wright, Jamie Macmillan and Marley Williams.

After Majak Daw sustained serious injuries in a fall from the Bolte Bridge last month and with Thompson suspended for round one, McKay will have his eyes on early season selection.

So to this point ziebell, tazz, Brown have done little to no preseason.

Wood has his first soft tissue of the year (obviously with more to come)

And Maj is gone for the year. And no Thompson for round 1.

Looking good :(

Glass half empty?

Out of the above the noticeable ones for me is McKay looking even more likely now to be given a full run at a permanent 22 role off the backline for the year. Potentially some wriggle room in the forward line as well with interruptions for Brown, JZ & Wood. Interesting also that Watson has been training up forward.

Glass half empty?

Out of the above the noticeable ones for me is McKay looking even more likely now to be given a full run at a permanent 22 role off the backline for the year. Potentially some wriggle room in the forward line as well with interruptions for Brown, JZ & Wood. Interesting also that Watson has been training up forward.

I have been know to sit with the pessimists.

Would have been good to see McKay play a game or two last year.

It would no doubt but he doesn't seem the sort that lacks in confidence and it does appear to have made him extremely hungry for the spot. It might work out best this way.

Calf 'epidemic' hits Kangaroos with skipper sidelined

Mitch Cleary

Jan 18, 2019 1:30PM

642042-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Jack Ziebell is one of three Kangaroos sidelined with calf injuries

CAPTAIN Jack Ziebell headlines a trio of North Melbourne stars struck down by calf injuries that have caused interruptions to pre-season plans.

Ziebell joined defender Robbie Tarrant and forward Mason Wood on the sidelines during a one-hour match simulation at Arden Street on Friday.

After clocking heavy running loads prior to Christmas following minor knee surgery, Ziebell's latest setback restricted him to coaching duties during the physical hit-out.

Tarrant joined spearhead Ben Brown, who is on the comeback trail from post-season hip surgery, in a big running block away from the main group.

While Brown completed much of training on Monday and Wednesday, Wood was confined to stationary ball work with draftee Joel Crocker.

Wood's calf concern comes after several years battling various knee and soft tissue injuries – he has never played a round one match in his five years at the Roos.

Jasper Pittard remains on a modified program, while others missing match practice included Sam Durdin (leg), Cam Zurhaar (ankle), Will Walker (knee) and Taylor Garner (soft tissue).

Midfielder Ben Jacobs continues to increase his running capacity after a frustrating 2018 campaign with lingering concussion-like symptoms.

On the track, recruits Aaron Hall and Jared Polec collected plenty of ball, while a noticeably leaner Paul Ahern also impressed.

Ahern joined Todd Goldstein, Jed Anderson and Ben Cunnington in one centre square line-up, opposed to Tom Campbell, Hall, Shaun Higgins and Dom Tyson.

Anderson lasted close to half an hour before he was removed after a heavy tackle with Tom Wilkinson and was replaced by second-year midfielder Luke Davies-Uniacke.

Meanwhile in defence, Ben McKay started in a back six resembling a first-choice unit alongside Luke McDonald, Scott Thompson, Sam Wright, Jamie Macmillan and Marley Williams.

After Majak Daw sustained serious injuries in a fall from the Bolte Bridge last month and with Thompson suspended for round one, McKay will have his eyes on early season selection.

Wood already injured again? Im giving up on him lol

and Taylor Garner (soft tissue), are you kidding me? The club has kept that quiet, FORK TIME

Last edited:

It would no doubt but he doesn't seem the sort that lacks in confidence and it does appear to have made him extremely hungry for the spot. It might work out best this way.

I'm hoping that him having to wait will have him super hungry to not only earn his spot, but not lose it. Similar to a caged lion who has been starved :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When fit I hope to see Tarrant, EVW and Pittard replace Thompson, Wright and Macmillan. All three have been great servants but in Thommos case Taz is a no brainer, EVW looks to have so much upside whilst Wrighty has lost a bit of his flair and pace (still love him though), and Jmac, although a great leader, is just not a good enough defender to take up a back 6 spot, and while Pittard isn't the best defender the world he at least has the dash we need off the half back. Probably should be in the best 22 thread but I am too far gone now.

Wood already injured again? Im giving up on him lol

and Taylor Garner (soft tissue), are you kidding me? The club has kept that quiet, FORK TIME

I think that's just referring to his recovery from previous stuff, not a new one, though I may be wrong.

I think that's just referring to his recovery from previous stuff, not a new one, though I may be wrong.

I thought that too but he injured his hammy late last year which had plenty of time to recover and he isn’t even playing a praccy match

Still say fork in both Wood and Garners career. They both have massive ability to play some X factor footy but their bodies are not built for footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back