5 Collingwood
6 North Melbourne
7 GWS
8 Essendon
Brownlow: Macrae
Norm Smith: Gus Brayshaw
Coleman: T Mac
Rising Star: Rankine
Your headline: AFL Bid farewell to Jack Watts after a tumultuous career.

Short of injuries derailing our season, all that really stands in the way of us having a huge season is Weideman continuing his break out form. Our best players are young and clearly hungry.

I also suspect that Oscar will be ready to really challenge the big forwards next year, and May will play as much rebound defence as he does man-to-man.

Jetta - McDonald - Lever
Hibberd - May - Salem
Harmes - Brayshaw - Fritsch
Petracca - Weideman - vandenBerg
Spargo - McDonald - Melksham
Gawn - Oliver - Viney

Jones, Lewis, Stretch, Kolodjashnij, Frost, Hannan, Preuss, Hunt, ANB, Garlett all competing for those four bench spots is seriously healthy depth, even with us losing some handy back up players in Kent and Tyson.

I fancy myself as being reasonably hesitant when it comes to tooting our horn, but the sooner we can get that 18 on the park, the sooner we really start to fire.

Last edited:
I was thinking this is the most optimistic I've been about the dees chances probably since I was a kid when you're genuinely always positive so probably 98 after that the team was so inconsistent making the finals one year to missing the next and then making again the following year, then my late teens we consistently made finals but were so inconsistent within the season beating the best one week to losing to a bottom four team the next, so week by week in that 04-06 period was which Melbourne will turn up. This team I honestly think we have the team that is consistent and will match it against the best teams.

Kinda surprised everyone has us top 4 certs. Reckon we are still probably 5th or 6th until proven otherwise.

Depends how you look at it. IMO we're the most likely of last years post-finals top 4 to drop out, but also have by far the most improvement in us. Just look at the games we lost last year after controlling much of the game:

Geelong x2
Port
Saints
Swans

Couple injuries and we could go flying down the ladder but I've got faith in us this year to at least match 2018s efforts.

Kinda surprised everyone has us top 4 certs. Reckon we are still probably 5th or 6th until proven otherwise.
Team board predictions are generally optimistic ones. I read the equivalent thread on the Essendon board (still not certain why) and the majority of their posters have them in top 4 and that’s coming off missing the eight.

I’m inclined to think if all goes well we should finish about 4th, but when does all go well?

Actually a really fit Viney playing 20 plus games for us would be just about as important as any other bit of good fortune. That guy really does lift those around him when playing well.

Premier: Melbourne
Runner Up: Adelaide
Wooden Spoon: Carlton
Top 8:
1. West Coast
2. Richmond
3. Melbourne
4. Adelaide
5. Collingwood
6. Geelong
7. North Melbourne
8. Fremantle
Brownlow: Beams
Norm Smith: Petracca
Coleman: Kennedy
Rising Star: Davis-Uniake
Your headline: Deestroyed. Melbourne beat Carlton by 150 point

Last edited:
and surely Adelaide can't be as bad again.
Isn't that applying the same type of assumption you are questioning in those tipping the Dee's to do well? Surely Adelaide have to prove otherwise before it can be assumed they won't be that bad ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't that applying the same type of assumption you are questioning in those tipping the Dee's to do well? Surely Adelaide have to prove otherwise before it can be assumed they won't be that bad ;)

Not quite. Adelaide were minor premiers and made the GF.
We finished 5th and made a prelim.

I'm just not convinced yet we are the 4th best team

I think if we fire we'll finish top 2 and if we don't we'll finish in the bottom part of the 8. We were lucky to finish 5th in 2018 IMO, got there because Sydney, GWS, Port, and Adelaide all had middling seasons and we were slightly more consistent in banking wins against poor sides.

Premier: Collingwood
Runner Up: Richmond
Wooden Spoon: Carlton
Top 8:
1 Richmond
2 Collingwood
3 West Coast
4 GWS
5 Essendon
6 Melbourne
7 Sydney
8 Geelong

Brownlow: Fyfe
Norm Smith: Treloar
Coleman: Kennedy
Rising Star: Rankine
Your headline: Hogan takes break from AFL to deal with mental illness

Premier: Melbourne. I think Richmond make the granny either way, they had one slip up last year when Dusty was injured. But I think if we make the Granny it will show our mental fortitude has improved, and I think we have the list to trouble Richmond a lot. Got some supremely athletic defenders, I think we will throw Maxy forward and Tmac will force Rance or Astbury out of the forward fifty.
Runner Up: Richmond. They have now played 2 years of great footy. Hardwick isn't getting complacent at all either, they will continue to shuffle the side and they have supreme depth as we know too.
Wooden Spoon: Gold Coast
Top 8 for H&A: Bold denotes final position
1 West Coast, home ground advantage is going to be so big in the H&A season. 3
2 Richmond. One of the best all around lists, they have no real holes IMO apart from the ruck situation. 2
3. Collingwood. I'm not fully convinced that the team will gel that well, especially the defence. Pendles might be squeezed out of the guts, they have Goldsack and Dunn as their lockdown defenders so I'm not sure how well they will cope with the new rules. Will have to swap around some stuff for the first half of the season and will slightly underperform. Don't think they will construct an elite defence from their list. 4
4 Adelaide. Another fantastic all around list, I just don't know if Crouch and Gibbs can both play 22 games at AA level; if so, they can go all the way. 6
5 Melbourne. We will be pretty slow until Lever gets 5-6 games under his belt, but I think we will storm into finals in some great form. 1
6 Essendon. Just not quite an elite team, I don't think Shiel + Mcgrath/langford improvement gets them over the hump, they aren't good enough to consistently win games vs the likes of GWS/Geelong/Doggies/North IMO.7
7 GWS. Taranto will make the AA team IMO, but their ruck situation doesn't look great. Ideally Mumford can play 15-20 at high TOG% which would mean they don't need to pick Patton out of necessity. If Simpson plays they need to pick a second ruck and I don't like any 2 man combo of Patton/Simpson/Mumford and Patton is probably out until bye rounds anyway 5
8 North. Pesky team, will win its fair share but as we saw in the second half of the season, there are a lot of talented teams as well. But North will be top 4 at the bye rounds IMO as their core pieces are all still there whilst some other teams are still working stuff out, but by the end of the season they'll barely be in ahead of the Dogs and Lions IMO. 8
Brownlow: Josh Kelly. He's a top 5 player in the comp in my book. He's the man on that giants team and thrives under pressure. Will get them to top eight for sure.
Norm Smith: Jack Viney
Coleman: Jack Riewoldt
Rising Star: Riley Collier Dawkins
Your headline: MCG is the Vineys' home as Dees end 55 years of pain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back