Preview 2019 Prelim Final - Tigers v Cats @ Punt Rd Oval, Fri 7:50pm

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance Nakia comes in for hawkins?

Or could you just bring in a mid and play danger at full forward?
Given our failings to get off to a good start in recent times, I'd have Danger in the centre for the first quarter at least. Maybe he floats forward later on if we really get on top in the middle and the forward line needs some wins in contests. Personally I don't think Danger up forward is a path to victory, but it might happen if the game needs it.

Nope

2019 Free kick differential

Geelong +24
Richmond -37

Geelong gets a net of 3 more free kicks ( free kicks for - free kicks against ) on average a game compared to richmond
we can see who the dirty campaigners are now cant we.

GO Catters

GWS no Whitfield, Greene, add that to Coniglio, Ward... My goodness, Pies got the easy side of the draw to the GF.
First they sneak back into Top 4, play Cats after a Bye at their HOME ground, then play GWS with a decimated midifield...
Hope GWS win that game.

Blessed. Until next week that is. More GF heartache on the way for Eddie.

It’s funny reading the tigers thread for this game. There’s a lot of over-confidence, which I think is hiding fear & dread. Many tigers fans seem very angry and are treating this as a live or die scenario. I suppose what they have been through for the last 35+ years could do that to you. A bit of perspective would be a good idea though, as it’s just a game after all. May the best team win...and obviously that’s the cats

Yep. The ones talking a big game are fearful and quite frankly, petrified. It's quite obvious it's all just a front. Some very nervous people over there.

Maybe-suspect it was more about coming off a week off. They’ll be fine this week. In fact the club seems to be embracing the challenge of playing tigers and enjoying underdog status. Nobody is looking intimidated from what I am seeing.

This is why I'm confident. This is almost a free hit which I know sounds like madness with a GF spot on the line. But externally, no one thinks we can win. I think we will play with a confidence and freedom that will make us very dangerous. I can see Richmond going back into their shells and trying to play conservative if we get hold of them.

There is a lot of pressure there, they threw away a flag last year and they know their supporters won't tolerate it again. They are volatile. They need a second flag after three years of dominance. How do they handle the pressure mentally? It remains to be seen.

Given our failings to get off to a good start in recent times, I'd have Danger in the centre for the first quarter at least. Maybe he floats forward later on if we really get on top in the middle and the forward line needs some wins in contests. Personally I don't think Danger up forward is a path to victory, but it might happen if the game needs it.

I think that's exactly the way it'll pan out..

GWS no Whitfield, Greene, add that to Coniglio, Ward... My goodness, Pies got the easy side of the draw to the GF.
First they sneak back into Top 4, play Cats after a Bye at their HOME ground, then play GWS with a decimated midifield...
Hope GWS win that game.
Pies have about 6 or 7 of their best missing so id say it's pretty even.

I stand-by the opinion that whoever wins Friday night will win the flag.
Really depends. I have to agree, but I think if GWS scrape through, and get Coniglio, Greene and Whitfield back next week, they will be a huge chance even if they will be smokies on the betting. Their forward line is awesome and need little F50 entries, and their defence is as good as ours or WCE last year. I don't buy the hype if they shutdown Cameron then you can beat GWS, as they have Himmelberg and Finlayson doing a lot of damage.

Plus GWS has beaten all the teams remaining this year.

Yep. The ones talking a big game are fearful and quite frankly, petrified. It's quite obvious it's all just a front. Some very nervous people over there.

I think the unusual thing to me this week re the betting market - youve got a $1.30 favourite - normally when you have got a 3s on favourite you would think their just too good - and thus the longer the game goes you would expect them to increase the margin and get further and further in front

However with Geel - for years now they have been slow starters and strong finishes - thus even though there is a $1.30 fave - if Geel were say level at 3qtr time - there would be stack of Geel supporters super confident that the Cats would win

From a Richmond supporting perspective short price favourite and rightfully so - but youd want the game well and truly killed off by 3 Qtr time

This is why I'm confident. This is almost a free hit which I know sounds like madness with a GF spot on the line. But externally, no one thinks we can win. I think we will play with a confidence and freedom that will make us very dangerous. I can see Richmond going back into their shells and trying to play conservative if we get hold of them.

There is a lot of pressure there, they threw away a flag last year and they know their supporters won't tolerate it again. They are volatile. They need a second flag after three years of dominance. How do they handle the pressure mentally? It remains to be seen.
Yep, and also our best footy is good enough to match it with them. The way we played against the WC was so different from how we played against the pies. We played on at every opportunity, with confidence and daring. Still made mistakes but fewer. All good signs.
Tigers will be hard to beat and doubt they will be feeling too much pressure. They trust their systems to get it done. But we have been the best team for most of the year for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard it suggested that Geelong has won the last 4 games against Richmond where Hawkins has not played.
Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I heard it suggested that Geelong has won the last 4 games against Richmond where Hawkins has not played.
I think its just won the last 4 games without Hawkins when suspended. But there was a game included in there against Richmond, and that was at home @ Kardinia when Taylor kicked a bag against Rance.

It certainly does help to have the best free kick getter of all time

Selwood on that metric is the goat

Yet not even in the top 10 this year and ranks at equal 14th for total frees & equal 29th for average per game

The main man at Geelong this year has been Danger but even he is only 11th for total & equal 18th for average. And just for fun, Ratugolea averages more frees this year than Selwood

He rarely misses, but we’ve won our last four without him.

Including v Collingwood last year - when they made the GF - and v Richmond in 2017 when they won the flag.

I think the unusual thing to me this week re the betting market - youve got a $1.30 favourite - normally when you have got a 3s on favourite you would think their just too good - and thus the longer the game goes you would expect them to increase the margin and get further and further in front

However with Geel - for years now they have been slow starters and strong finishes - thus even though there is a $1.30 fave - if Geel were say level at 3qtr time - there would be stack of Geel supporters super confident that the Cats would win

From a Richmond supporting perspective short price favourite and rightfully so - but youd want the game well and truly killed off by 3 Qtr time

Yep, they will be well aware that we finish off games really well. That's something that will hopefully be in their heads late in the game if it's close. Maybe that dreaded HTL will pay off? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back