Preview 2019 Prelim Final - Tigers v Cats @ Punt Rd Oval, Fri 7:50pm

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guthrie is needed elsewhere. He is now a prime mover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, which is a worry, which Guthrie turns up... the match winner, or the soft plodder lol

If he wants the Viking hairstyle... he needs to play like one

Such that I've been focused on missing Duncan, Clark and Hawkins...

I'm still forgetting that we have Dangerfield, Selwood, TK, Guthrie, Parfitt, Narkle and Menegola most likely in the midfield rotations... that ain't that bad.
Stanley will play well too.

Don't worry about the defence, its as stingy as ever.

You know what Scott (and im not bagging him ) is like - these midweek press conferences re whos likely to come in - you cant believe him

What may happen - is Henderson is named in the selected side - and Rohan is named as an emergency - and if GR proves his fitness - he comes in - and Hendo missses out - i hope that happens

I'm going with the same point of view. They got Rohan for a reason, and he proved himself earlier in the year, was more than accountable before being concussed. Dog kick early with the pies, but may have settled before injury-or may have pulled an injury earlier for all we know, Bews like. Scott seems a big fan, and wouldn't we all like to see him run some cocky tigger down.....But accuracy, we must return to accuracy.

They haven't beaten the cellar dwellers (in lead up games) convincingly before the Brisbane final. With some luck we have their systems covered, as we did so well earlier at home, albeit 6 of their tryers missing. We'll be busting a gut like great underdogs.

I would think if GAJ puts in a poor game and we lose, he will probably hang up the boots...

So I reckon he might give it a red hot crack on Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you on this. Throwing HarryT forward is just too destabilising. He's played a few cameos up forward but that was a few years ago and he's lost a yard since then. It's simply not worth the risk and given he's the obvious matchup for Lynch I'm fairly confident that will be where he lines up.

Which won't stop him drifting forward like he did with Bews last week. Both were serviceable pinch hitters. Love those sneaky moves, even if following their man. Go Harry, we don't want this to be your last.

I would think if GAJ puts in a poor game and we lose, he will probably hang up the boots...

So I reckon he might give it a red hot crack on Friday night.

The difference in him first and second half of the season has been stark - wonder if he is carrying something.

You have put forward many negatives, against a number of options, but have not suggested any alternatives.

Hawkins is out, what do we do?

We cannot expect Sav to carry the entire forward line, he cannot be expected to be the only big marking forward there. We need someone who can provide another marking target, take Richmond defenders away from Sav and Rohan(if he plays) and if they don't mark then bring it to the ground. Clearly Taylor is the best option we have available.

The remainder of your post is a factually incorrect attack on the coach. I guess you did not see last Friday's game, Danger was not parked on the forward line for any significant time and Selwood did not play on the wing, he was in the centre.

My alternative suggestion was the same one that many have put forward; Rohan (who didn’t play last week) to come in as a straight swap for Hawkins. This is of course assuming that he is fit and available which may not be the case. Look, I’m not suggesting that throwing Taylor forward would be a disaster or that we as supporters might as well give up if it ends up eventuating. My hesitance stems from the data and my observations over the last couple of years, in which we continually tried to play Harry forward at various times and it seemed to fail way more than it succeeded. I, along with many Cats supporters, was pulling my hair out watching Scott persist with the so-called “Taylor experiment” week after week when it was producing subpar results. Yes he had a handful of multiple-goal games, but they were few and far between. Harry seemed to be losing confidence in himself as the weeks went by and there was a lot of talk that he was cooked as a player.

Then of course this year Harry has been a mainstay in our defence again, back to where I feel he belongs, back to the position he won premierships playing at, and he has been widely praised for the most part. He has found continuity in his game and he’s been playing solid football again for pretty much the entire year. To suggest we can just pluck him out of the backline and throw him forward for the first time all year in a pressure cooker prelim against arguably the best team in the comp... it seems incredibly optimistic and somewhat hubristic to think it’ll just work out. Does it mean we shouldn’t consider it? Of course not, we should consider all options. I’m just not as convinced as you are that it’s our best option. It might also unsettle the best defence in the league this year as I feel he is an important cog back there, although Henderson is a very reasonable replacement.

I don’t have the big answer as to what is the perfect solution; it could be Fort, it could be Abbott, it could be Hendo, it could be a mid-sized player and some clever restructuring of our forwardline and/or midfield. That’s in our coaches’ hands now and I’m hopeful that they’ll make the best decision they can given the information they have. If Taylor does end up forward and plays well there I’ll be just as full of praise and excitement as everyone else. I’m just mindful of trying to leave things the way they are as much as possible, and not disrupting multiple lines to try and cover for Hawkins.

As for my so-called attack on the coach, maybe I wasn’t clear enough with what I meant. I did watch the game on Friday and I loved it, which is exactly why I want Selwood in the centre again this Friday, as opposed to on the wing where he has been for most of the year having minimal impact. What I said about Danger playing forward was in reference to the ‘17 prelim. After Danger had a good game forward in the semi that year, we backed him in to do it again in the prelim. The only problem was he couldn’t get near the ball because Adelaide came out breathing fire and destroyed us in the middle, and it took Scott an eternity to put Paddy back on the ball where he was desperately needed. That’s the kind of thing I’m worried about seeing against the Tiges.

I’m also not a huge fan of playing Danger forward in general. I don’t think that move has been as successful as it’s been made out to be over the last few years. It’s a decent move to make periodically, especially if he’s carrying a niggle, but not for extended stints and only when our midfield is contending well without him in there. I certainly wouldn’t start him in there against Richmond in the prelim; at least feel out the game first. He’s an elite contested mark, but his kicking is woeful and his game often lacks a defensive element. He’s also prone to doing things like handballing from a mark 5 metres out to a clueless Jordan Clark in the goal square who was caught totally by surprise. Hawkins gets away with doing things like that because he is a vastly experienced and credentialed forward and therefore has more awareness in those situations. At the end of the day Pat is a gun midfielder and is playing sublime football in there - I simply want us to play our men in their optimal positions.

Re-posting this for all those worried about the Henderson decision -

I've thought about it a fair bit, and, I reckon that it has to be Hendo that comes in.

Before you all jump down my throat, here's a list of reasons why:

- Hendo is the only player that has showed an improvement in/consistent form over the last 6 weeks
- Rohan has not shown anything post-bye, and has broken down with injury nearly every game back (Cockatoo in '17 comes to mind)
- Clark and Duncan aren't ready, and Scooter and Parsons are far too slow/far too fumbly for finals football
- Kreuger has never played an AFL game. As much as I like the way he plays, will get exposed against Tigs defence/doesn't know our leading lanes etc.
- Fort and Abbott aren't ready, and Fort's lack of exposure will make him a liability against Richmond's surging rebound game from half-back
- Hendo coming in means that our flexibility is strongly increased, in the absence of Hawk
- Allows us to throw Harry or Henry forward, if need be
- Allows us to throw Blics into the ruck, onto the wing, forward etc.
- Means Tuohy and Danger can go forward, Guth can go back if needed (to continue his likely tagging role on Dusty from the midfield)
- Means Stanley can go forward
- Most important, it keeps our exact structure from previous winning weeks where we've looked solid (Carlton, Weagles etc.), in tact

Smith is the only other possibility, with Stanley going forward. However, that robs us of flexibility in the backline, if neither ruck is cutting it and we need Blics in there. We can't have only Kolo and Taylor against Riewoldt and Lynch, as they'll murder us.

Match committee could pull a fast one, but, I think Taylor playing forward in a defensive role on Grimes or Astbury, is the way to go. He gets a goal, fine. But his main job should be to bring the ball to ground and clear space for Rata and the smalls (and Danger when he goes forward). Taylor can keep them accountable, with no Rance to impede his big frame. He's not a great forward, but he offers more than anyone else, and his defensive nous could prove valuable against Richmond's setup. Last time Taylor had Rance to contend with, and he beat him at KP but lost at the G. Reckon he goes better against Astbury or Grimes with his frame and marking ability.

Nobody mentions Prestia and he is a key for them. Accumulator and great user. If we can stop him it will help a lot. Watch him poll in the Brownlow and everybody says "wow, not expecting that".
You lost me at great user, accumulates well but the guy absolutely butchers the footy.

Yep, Houli is the main one but I hope we put some work into Shane Edwards, can tear you to shreds if allowed to run free.

Edwards is pretty underrated.

I hope we bring in a runwith type play to send to those outside types like Sidebottom.
Seeing him let loose in the first final grrrrrrrr.

My alternative suggestion was the same one that many have put forward; Rohan (who didn’t play last week) to come in as a straight swap for Hawkins. This is of course assuming that he is fit and available which may not be the case.
Rohan is not a KPF, he is a forward pocket addendum to the forward line, playing him as an alternative to Hawkins will make him ineffective and his value reduced.
Look, I’m not suggesting that throwing Taylor forward would be a disaster or that we as supporters might as well give up if it ends up eventuating. My hesitance stems from the data and my observations over the last couple of years, in which we continually tried to play Harry forward at various times and it seemed to fail way more than it succeeded. I, along with many Cats supporters, was pulling my hair out watching Scott persist with the so-called “Taylor experiment” week after week when it was producing subpar results. Yes he had a handful of multiple-goal games, but they were few and far between. Harry seemed to be losing confidence in himself as the weeks went by and there was a lot of talk that he was cooked as a player.
Harry only ever played forward to cover missing players, usually Hawkins when injured or suspended. Two years ago he played forward on Rance against Richmond, provided a marking target, took Rance out of the game and kicked 4. When Hawkins returned Harry went back. He doesn't need to play as well as that, but to provide another option to Sav, to lead away from Sav and drag Richmond defenders with him, open up the forward line and allow players like Rohan(if fit), Dahl and Ablett to take advantage. He is the best option in my opinion.
I don’t have the big answer as to what is the perfect solution; it could be Fort, it could be Abbott, it could be Hendo, it could be a mid-sized player and some clever restructuring of our forwardline and/or midfield. That’s in our coaches’ hands now and I’m hopeful that they’ll make the best decision they can given the information they have. If Taylor does end up forward and plays well there I’ll be just as full of praise and excitement as everyone else. I’m just mindful of trying to leave things the way they are as much as possible, and not disrupting multiple lines to try and cover for Hawkins.
Fort and Abbott are VFL ruckmen, both are yet to establish themselves at AFL level, they have not played 10 games between them. Henderson has not played well up forward in the few times he has been sent there since coming to Geelong. As I said, unfortunately Taylor is the best option.
As for my so-called attack on the coach, maybe I wasn’t clear enough with what I meant. I did watch the game on Friday and I loved it, which is exactly why I want Selwood in the centre again this Friday, as opposed to on the wing where he has been for most of the year having minimal impact...
He has not been on the wing for most of the year. He has been carrying injuries for large parts of the year. He played in the centre against Collingwood and was ineffectual, he played in the centre against the Eagles and was BOG.

[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back