Training 2019 preseason discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If we plan to play one ruck it’ll be the worlds worst decision by Preuss since Abraham Lincoln decided he’d like to go see a show.

I can’t see why he’d come across unless they two ruck scenario was heavily sold to him. That or he’s got an insane levels of confidence mixed with similar levels of delusion that he’ll going past a ruckmen better the the one he couldn’t get past. He is only 24 though, so potentially a big upside.
To Soon.

If we plan to play one ruck it’ll be the worlds worst decision by Preuss since Abraham Lincoln decided he’d like to go see a show.

I can’t see why he’d come across unless they two ruck scenario was heavily sold to him. That or he’s got an insane levels of confidence mixed with similar levels of delusion that he’ll going past a ruckmen better the the one he couldn’t get past. He is only 24 though, so potentially a big upside.
Might fancy himself as a tall forward, too.

maybe they realised we'd be absolutely effing rooted if Gawn went down so we offered him a shitload more coin than everyone else? reckon we'll start the season with 2 rucks but finally we've got a top 5 player in the AFL, i dont want to mess around with his role too much.

reckon we'll run with 2 ruckman for sure. Gawn doing his cutting off down back like he was when Lever went down he played that role awesome. So Gawn playing the back 1/2 and centre bounces and Preuss rucking front 1/2 and out the goal square. Obviously Gawn will go forward at times but he'll be our ultimate swingman. Well thats what id do after watching how good he can read the flight of the ball going back

The lessons from Richmond last year must drive this *at least* as an opening strategy. It was like watching two different teams as soon as Nankervis was off field.

That and something I liked about North, when they played at a high level, was having the big guys dominate/challenge marking contests across the ground with Goldstein/Waite/Brown/Petrie.

I am not saying Melbourne play really tall, but rather have someone in the back line and especially the forward line as the forwards we have at the moment are more leading/developing.

I miss having a Stynes and O'Dwyer combination :)

Looking at the insta camp video compilation on the MFC youtube page two things i can take away.

Preuss will kill somebody

And serious note, Sparrow looks ready to go. Not a slim draftee build, already got some good guns on him. Just weather his running and match awareness is up to standard, but he'll play a game for sure, possible even round 1

Looking at the insta camp video compilation on the MFC youtube page two things i can take away.

And serious note, Sparrow looks ready to go. Not a slim draftee build, already got some good guns on him. Just weather his running and match awareness is up to standard, but he'll play a game for sure, possible even round 1
Demonstrates the beauty of having picks in the 20s, something we’ve done (quite successfully) without since 2011. Obviously won’t be touted as a star but he has slider written all over him, will be a handy contributor. Got the attributes to step in as a role player early

Meanwhile, some interesting content coming out of the club from the camp ... unsurprisingly, the corresponding article on afl.com.au about this, there was a mention of the canceled camp last preseason ...

Fun fact, I played junior footy with Mark Visser, he was an absolute gun, albeit, the Sunny Coast Juniors wasn't much of a league.

And then from today ... at about 29 seconds, JV vs Jones has something of "The Unstoppable Force vs The Unmovable Object" about it ... then at 25 seconds, Preuss vs Fritsch much less so ...

Everyone looks in pain and Crazy Frosty is just having a laugh, so good.

Historically, how big of an advantage has top 4 been. I assume it would be huge, but curious if results have confirmed that.

Would be interesting to compare finals results of teams that finished 4th and 5th (or even 3rd-6th in years where very little separated them in the ladder).

Melbourne, Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast all have one list spot open but are tipped to wait until the mid-season draft, for which a date is yet to be determined.

Full article here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Historically, how big of an advantage has top 4 been. I assume it would be huge, but curious if results have confirmed that.
Since the top 4 system was created only one team has won the flag outside the top 4. Bulldogs in 2016

Since the top 4 system was created only one team has won the flag outside the top 4. Bulldogs in 2016

How long has the system been in place? Have their been a number of teams who won the flag and finished 4th?

I

pruess is a machine. I saw him throw tom mac like he was 70kgs

How long has the system been in place? Have their been a number of teams who won the flag and finished 4th?

I just cycled back through the Wikipedia pages for the finals series going back to 2000 (there isn’t a dedicated page for the 2004 finals- someone get on that!)

No team that finished 4th has won the flag. What does that mean? By itself probably not much, because it’s a small sample size. It’s not really surprising that the top 3 teams throughout the home and away season have won the majority of the flags- they proved their quality over the course of a 22 game schedule.

But 4th place is interesting to look at. I’m assuming in most seasons, there isn’t much that separates 4th place from 5th or even 6th. So those teams are likely to be of similar quality. Looking at full finals results for for those teams may give an idea of just how valuable it is to finish 4th vs 5th.

In the NFL finishing top 2 in your conference is a huge advantage. It probably looks like this:

1 > 2 >>> 3/4 >>>>> 5/6

Only 2 Dees playing AFLX. Unfortunately it’s TMac and May.

Assuming we had a choice, I have no idea why you'd risk these 2 out of all of our players.

Especially how cursed we are with new comers getting injured (May). The fact we will start without Lever and the fact that McDonald didn't have a preseason last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back