Training 2019 Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed this originally. Thanks. Looks bloody young but sounds like he's got the desire to make it. Looks like a pretty good ball winner with some explosive pace. No doubt we'll disagree on how Horse handles him but I think he'll be a real asset regardless.

Haha I actually don't doubt Horse's ability to get the best out of this kid as I feel he's right up his alley as a coach. Tough, goes for the ball without being too spectacular. Given he has a bit of toe on top of that, who knows he might even be one of Horse's better midfield byproducts!

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
That may be true but think of the best players recently and let me know how their kicking is? Mitchell? Danger? Martin? None of them are particularly great kicks

You are having a lend surely ? Hanneberry was a shocking kick even before injury reduced his kicking skills to a
3rd divison reserves players standards. Btw Dangerfield runs and carries the ball and can sometimes hack the ball under pressure but that Hack has penetration and gains metres. Would much prefer that than Hanneberry kicking a dinky floater barely 15 metres that misses the mark 9 times out of 10 by 5 metres and gets turned over to where we lose ground and at best causing a stoppage but the majority of times will set up opposition scoring opportunities. No sugar coating it his foot skills were and are abysmal and will continue to be. Brett Kirk was a more effective kick and thats saying something.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Why bother putting it up

He doesn’t play for us

Just gloating a past players injury otherwise why not put up every injured player in pre season
Maybe because not all players who get injured played for us? He might Not play for us now but he did and I'm sure there are plenty of people who are interested Punts. I did not see any gloating. There were no comments at all on the first post and on the second Ted was very respectful of Hannas.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought it could have been COR. Sinkers does look pretty fit and has put plenty of miles into his legs. Always seems to be a top bloke.

Def not COR, its like a bigger Cunningham. must be Thurlow is my best guess.

Yeah he looks primed, he's saying and doing all the right thinks. He seems to have gone a long way to fixing his hands in marking contests. I hope he can sustain and with a bit of luck continue to improve his great 2018 form.

Def not COR, its like a bigger Cunningham. must be Thurlow is my best guess.

Yeah he looks primed, he's saying and doing all the right thinks. He seems to have gone a long way to fixing his hands in marking contests. I hope he can sustain and with a bit of luck continue to improve his great 2018 form.

Agree in toto. I think the basis of his excellent form last year was old fashioned guts and determination. He is a bit undersized, height and weight, relative to other rucks and does not possess great spring.

I guess when he went to the Weasels they tried to make him a fwd/ruck. From fading memory of his time with the Borough, he predominately was used as a ruckman. Bedders and Connolly prolly have better memories about his time there with the greatest Club in Victoria.

My preference is we go with one ruck in 2019 and that this role be filled by Sinkers and if he is injured then Cameron gets a go. I suspect Sam will have a slow return from injury and he will be third in line on a #norush basis.

With the change in the rucking rules I expect Horse will want to play Sinkers and one of the two giraffes. I hope I am wrong.

I do not expect Sinkers or either of the other two are capable of providing our mids an armchair ride. What Sinkers provides is ability to tackle and contest and a level of footy smarts the other two have not exhibited.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree in toto. I think the basis of his excellent form last year was old fashioned guts and determination. He is a bit undersized, height and weight, relative to other rucks and does not possess great spring.

I guess when he went to the Weasels they tried to make him a fwd/ruck. From fading memory of his time with the Borough, he predominately was used as a ruckman. Bedders and Connolly prolly have better memories about his time there with the greatest Club in Victoria.

My preference is we go with one ruck in 2019 and that this role be filled by Sinkers and if he is injured then Cameron gets a go. I suspect Sam will have a slow return from injury and he will be third in line on a #norush basis.

With the change in the rucking rules I expect Horse will want to play Sinkers and one of the two giraffes. I hope I am wrong.

I do not expect Sinkers or either of the other two are capable of providing our mids an armchair ride. What Sinkers provides is ability to tackle and contest and a level of footy smarts the other two have not exhibited.

I don't think you can go into 2019 with just one ruck and an undersized second. The new rules simply don't allow it. I think it will be Naismith and Sinkas come the business end. Sinkas is a far better forward/ruck than a first ruck. Naismith is a true first ruck and his HO to advantage in 2017 was at the top of the ruck pile. Naismith won't give you 20 disposals/game but what he will give you is first use and second and third efforts. Sinkas has kicked 5 in a game and to me he stands out as a Ruck/Forward and could be capable of kicking 40 if given that role. Think about it if we got over 30 from Bud, Sinkas, Menzell, Ronke, Hayward and Papley. Reid has proven he can kick at least 25. We would have a massive scoring potential.

I don't think you can go into 2019 with just one ruck and an undersized second. The new rules simply don't allow it. I think it will be Naismith and Sinkas come the business end. Sinkas is a far better forward/ruck than a first ruck. Naismith is a true first ruck and his HO to advantage in 2017 was at the top of the ruck pile. Naismith won't give you 20 disposals/game but what he will give you is first use and second and third efforts. Sinkas has kicked 5 in a game and to me he stands out as a Ruck/Forward and could be capable of kicking 40 if given that role. Think about it if we got over 30 from Bud, Sinkas, Menzell, Ronke, Hayward and Papley. Reid has proven he can kick at least 25. We would have a massive scoring potential.

You may be right re the rules.

As a ruck I concede Naismith is more likely to tap to advantage, but Sinkers 2nd and 3rd efforts, let alone marking around the ground are well ahead of Sams. Yep, Sinkers has had one or two days out as a forward/ruck, but I see no grounds for expecting he will do it consistently against quality Oppo.

Holding the ball in our attacking half requires mobility among other attributes. Sinkers spending a lot of time up forward with Buddy and Reid is a recipe for the others to march the ball out of their defence.

My real doubt is about Naismith. Can we afford a light tower who will get more taps but do little else?

You may be right re the rules.

As a ruck I concede Naismith is more likely to tap to advantage, but Sinkers 2nd and 3rd efforts, let alone marking around the ground are well ahead of Sams. Yep, Sinkers has had one or two days out as a forward/ruck, but I see no grounds for expecting he will do it consistently against quality Oppo.

Holding the ball in our attacking half requires mobility among other attributes. Sinkers spending a lot of time up forward with Buddy and Reid is a recipe for the others to march the ball out of their defence.

My real doubt is about Naismith. Can we afford a light tower who will get more taps but do little else?

IMO yes. The midfield need all the help they can get and it should be our number one priority in 2019 in terms of improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any updates from anyone with eyes at training?

1548126713718.png

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC

In 2011 he played at Centre Half Forward for Port

In the Number 22

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I don’t pay much attention to the pre-season match simulations. Too many times the players I’ve heard looked great then come out in the H&A season with scratchy form. I’ll wait til the JLT before I get excited by anyone’s form.

But still good to see Horse & co willing to put that much expectation on one of our youngsters in Mills (although I guess he is one of our leaders now)

Back