Training 2019 Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Tippett is on the Rookie List and thus we can't replace him under the rules. So no second spot available
Clarified, we can place him on the LTI list!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-07/sydney-makes-11th-hour-bid-to-fill-final-list-spot

The Swans can also opt to add a second player to their list should they choose to place Kurt Tippett on the inactive list, an AFL spokesperson confirmed.

Like Hawthorn’s situation with Will Langford, the Swans re-rookied Tippett for 2019 with the knowledge that he won’t play.

I'd be interested in Marsh first given he's a bit older - but would agree he's unlikely to want to come.
I think we really need a KPD who is just real tall so happy if they think McLean warrants a chance, though he is young.
Neilson as a lockdown defender would be like for like. A couple of years as a professional already...
Talia anyone? :think:

Jonathon Marsh – Richmond VFL – 194cm – 24yo
Has put his hand up to return to the AFL after two seasons at East Fremantle in the WAFL. Preparing to play under his former Collingwood assistant Craig McRae at Punt Road this season.

Hayden McLean - Sandringham - 197cm - 20yo
Trained with the Saints at the end of last season in the hope of winning a spot on the club's main list. Seen by many as the most unlucky key position player to miss out last November.

Daniel Nielson – Werribee – 194cm – 22yo
Managed seven AFL games for North Melbourne in 2017 before he was cut at the end of 2018. A lockdown defender who returns to the Roos' former VFL affiliate to play under Mark 'Choco' Williams.

Nathan Mullenger-McHugh – Box Hill – 196cm – 21yo
Spent three seasons at Whitten Oval but was unable to make his senior debut. Crossed to Box Hill and was this week added to the club's leadership group. Speed is his big asset.

Michael Talia – Norwood – 194cm – 25yo
Played 31 games at the Western Bulldogs and Sydney before he was cut at the end of 2016. Since moving to Adelaide and spending more time with brother Daniel, he has matured in the SANFL. Has had his off-field queries but enjoyed a strong season for the Redlegs in 2018.

Sam McLarty – Williamstown – 197cm– 20yo
Cut from the Pies after two seasons on the list in November. Started as a key defender before playing forward/ruck in the VFL. Now training as a defender at the Seagulls.

No way on Talia IMO. It sounds like he obviously didn't fit in the first time &/or do as was required of him. He also may not want back into that Sydney lifestyle away from friends & family having experienced it once before.

I'm pushing toward McLean if we can get him. Stats are good. Good height. Young so a bit of time to develop &/or easier to unlearn bad traits etc.

Cheers that wasn't there before

Hahaha ... Just read this. Issue clarified. I have a fear that One day Kurt will turn up at training and trigger another extension.

We wouldn't be doing too bad for ourselves if we picked up McLean as a bargain. He's very tough and got a great attitude for development IMO. As I said not sure I rate him that highly on ability alone but strikes me as the type that could thrive under a good professional system.

I’m more spewing we didn’t get vandeberg , tough runner

We need a ready made A grade mid as we don’t have one at the present time , would love McLean

Bummer we are not the destination club we once were

Vandenberg is not an A-grade mid though. Yeah it's a bummer we're not the destination club we once were but we had our turn. Melbourne are a very good side atm just come out of a prelim final. I'd stay with them over us right now, just like three or four years ago I'd choose us over them. Comp's always evolving like that. We're a middle of the table side and so players will treat us like so, nothing wrong with that.

And no to Hill for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vandenberg is not an A-grade mid though. Yeah it's a bummer we're not the destination club we once were but we had our turn. Melbourne are a very good side atm just come out of a prelim final. I'd stay with them over us right now, just like three or four years ago I'd choose us over them. Comp's always evolving like that. We're a middle of the table side and so players will treat us like so, nothing wrong with that.

And no to Hill for me.
Never once said he was

Hill to injury prone?

At his best he is an A grade of the wing imo

Free agent I think

Yep and 28. If we were to get him he would be 29. I've heard he is the type to constantly get niggles, even the types the club don't publicise. Think he's cooked unfortunately as he was one of the only Dockers I liked.

Yep and 28. If we were to get him he would be 29. I've heard he is the type to constantly get niggles, even the types the club don't publicise. Think he's cooked unfortunately as he was one of the only Dockers I liked.

A wonderful player but totally fricaseed.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I've seen plenty of Hayden McLean and I rated him as a teen, was very surprised he wasn't picked up in the draft. Having said that I have a hard time picturing him as an AFL-level key defender.

As defenders don't have highlights here's a video of him playing mainly ruck/fwd. Can't teach height.
https://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-11-09/draft-prospect-hayden-mclean

Mclean and Mclarty on the way up for medicals tomorrow. Bit concerned about a guy who Couldn't debut for the pies....Mclean may at least surprise to the upside? Though I spose giving Buckley any credit for identifying good players might be a streatch too.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Who is the guy tearing up the WAFL the last two seasons who couldn't get drafted again? Mid.
If he has a good kick on him I'd take him + Mclean for sure - ball magnets who can kick is something we could use.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Another undersized ruck tho?

I just want to fill the two spots on our list because we can, and we should. We have an opportunity not to be two players short for the year. One way or another we should take the opportunity.

We have “lost” a forward/ruck and KPD. These two would replace that. If other players are available that the club feels are better suited then go to them. But I just reckon we should fill the list out one way or another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back