Training 2019 Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

With Maibaums unfortunate injury, I wonder if we will consider adding another to the list before the deadline ?

Another key defender? Or do we try and find a tap ruckman?

Pink may find himself in defence in the NEAFL for the rest of the year. Might even see Amartey down there!
Interesting thought. I can see Pink as a defender but not Amartey. Pink is agile and very hard at it but Amartey not so much.

Dylan Main? Mason Shaw?
Jye Bolton I think. I remember reading about him prior to the draft. Twice WAFL Best and Fairest. What has he done wrong?
Just watched some highlights of him last year - I withdraw my enquiry.

Rohan has turned into Ablett Snr already down in Geelong.

Jye Bolton I think. I remember reading about him prior to the draft. Twice WAFL Best and Fairest. What has he done wrong?
Just watched some highlights of him last year - I withdraw my enquiry.

Rohan has turned into Ablett Snr already down in Geelong.

Poor Geelong. They're in for a rough trot when they start wondering why Rohan's form in pre-season and reserves matches won't be replicated at the highest level.

I'll just say if Geelong turn Rohan into a 30+ goal forward I'm looking back at Horse, again.

That would be fair. Although you can't say Horse didn't give him ample opportunity while a Swan. My beef with Horse was that he gave Rohan too many chances even when he didn't warrant them.

I'll just say if Geelong turn Rohan into a 30+ goal forward I'm looking back at Horse, again.
GMBMGNSHSA stadium is long and narrow, and suits a quick lead-up forward like Rohan. The SCG doesn't.

Also the new 6-6-6 rules will give him more room, particularly at GMHBAMNAS where the arc is a long way from the centre square (10m). So the new 6-6-6 formation will have more affect there than any other ground.

Both changes should suit his game. I hope he does well.

we gave rohan away for pick 61 and have james rose , COR and thurlow on our list.

Oh look, a wild surprised Swans bigfooty member.

Where's the 'but he only had 9 dithpothals' ?*disabled fingers*

I'll just say....Rohan was already averaging 1.5 goals a game in the past 3 seasons, which is already your 30 goal a year player if fully fit. Don't change it up, you lot wanted him out because of his inability to rack up the possessions, which is due to your lack of footy nouse and inability to see match flipping impacts of single pieces of play. Rohan had multiple game influencing matches scoring 2,3,4 goals with minimal posessions and played predominately forward.

This is one trade I know for 100% fact will prove everyone wrong, because you'll only be seeing his match impact and goals at Geelong, rather than disposal numbers.

Now being the fickle lot you all are, you will try to deflect and wipe your hands clean of your wrong opinion and lack of footy nouse onto horse, as you already are even after a single JLT game.

So if he has a good year I will put all your hands up on your own behalf and say you were wrong.

I'll just say....Rohan was already averaging 1.5 goals a game in the past 3 seasons, which is already your 30 goal a year player if fully fit. Don't change it up, you lot wanted him out because of his inability to rack up the possessions, which is due to your lack of footy nouse and inability to see match flipping impacts of single pieces of play. Rohan had multiple game influencing matches scoring 2,3,4 goals with minimal posessions and played predominately forward.

This is one trade I know for 100% fact will prove everyone wrong, because you'll only be seeing his match impact and goals at Geelong, rather than disposal numbers.

Now being the fickle lot you all are, you will try to deflect and wipe your hands clean of your wrong opinion and lack of footy nouse onto horse, as you already are even after a single JLT game.

So if he has a good year I will put all your hands up on your own behalf and say you were wrong.

If he has a good year I will still believe we were right to get rid of him. He was no good for us, so off he went. Great bloke but I was glad to see the back of him from a list perspective. If only we showed the same ruthlessness with James Rose.

This is one trade I know for 100% fact will prove everyone wrong, because you'll only be seeing his match impact and goals rather than disposal numbers.

Misplaced rant aside, I'm more talking about the fact we should consider ourselves lucky that Buddy is still a 30+ goalkicker playing in this team.

Rohan was averaging 1.13 goals a game the last 3 years, Hayward is averaging 1.25 in his first 2 seasons and Ronke averaged 1.33 last year (just below Rohan's career high of 1.39). Forward pressure? Last year, Rohan was statistically ranked lower for pressure acts per game against all of Papley, Ronke, Hayward, McCartin and even Towers. The only forward we had with less pressure acts per game was Buddy.

I have for the most part been a Rohan defender during his time here, but the writing was on the wall that it was time to move on, especially with our younger core up forward. Good luck to him in Geelong, I hope he does well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just play him out of FF , don’t get him to over think

Old school FF and I reckon he will be fine

I wish we tried it

We did.

Rohan at FF reminded me of a decoy FF called Athol Webb who Norm Smith played at Melbourne. Like Rohan old Athol did not get many touches. But he was quick and smart. One of his jobs was to lead from the goal square, leaving room for Big Bob Johnson.

Unhappily Rohan never showed anything like old Athol's smarts.

Misplaced rant aside, I'm more talking about the fact we should consider ourselves lucky that Buddy is still a 30+ goalkicker playing in this team.

Rohan was averaging 1.13 goals a game the last 3 years, Hayward is averaging 1.25 in his first 2 seasons and Ronke averaged 1.33 last year (just below Rohan's career high of 1.39). Forward pressure? Last year, Rohan was statistically ranked lower for pressure acts per game against all of Papley, Ronke, Hayward, McCartin and even Towers. The only forward we had with less pressure acts per game was Buddy.

I have for the most part been a Rohan defender during his time here, but the writing was on the wall that it was time to move on, especially with our younger core up forward. Good luck to him in Geelong, I hope he does well.
There's no doubt that Rohan had poor moments. But the point I make everytime is that all we needed was for him to turn it on a couple of occasions a game , a defence splitting run or couple of goals to turn it on its head, which he did a fair bit, even in games he played 's**t'. Without him we have 2 less wins last year and miss the 8.

It's a game of inches sometimes. Imagine Cyril was a 25+ disposal getter 4 goal a game player. They'd be unstoppable. He's got what it takes but fact is he doesn't do it all the time, but when he does he wins it. Rohan was an asset in his own right who we never appreciated. There will be close games this year that we will lose because he is not there, fact. And we won't even realise it. We'll just think we've regressed.

Of course you would.
That's the simplistic way.
All roads lead to the coach. Nothing to do with the player at all. Blame everyone else but the actually person with the issue.
Gaz couldn't be forked & needed the change & he should thrive with it. If not he won't be played in the seniors at the Cats for long. He can't dish out what he did last season & what he has done with us in big finals with the Cats. Players deserve chances & Gaz had plenty with us. Deservedly so but I hope he tears it up for Geelong. Don't go blaming the coach for this one though.

Of course you would.
All roads lead to the coach. Nothing to do with the player at all. Blame everyone else but the actually person with the issue.
Gaz couldn't be forked & needed the change & he should thrive with it. If not he won't be played in the seniors at the Cats for long. He can't dish out what he did last season & what he has done with us in big finals with the Cats. Players deserve chances & Gaz had plenty with us. Deservedly so but I hope he tears it up for Geelong. Don't go blaming the coach for this one though.

Agree with much of your post. However I think Rohan was gifted far too many games and not just last year.

The bloke had all the talent but not enough grey matter or temperament to deliver anything more than sporadic moments.

I'm really disappointed we did not chase Sydney Stack and he has ended up at the Tigers. We could do with some mercurial players.

Good luck to Richmond but that is one player I trust our club to make a call on. There’s usually a very good reason why a player is overlooked round after round despite his talent. You have to trust the club we don’t have all the information, they do.

The only 'blame' I attribute to Horse re Rohan was the gifting of games. Horse did the right thing in the end by cutting our losses.

We’d seen these games from Rohan and then the next month would average about 5 possessions a game, rinse and repeat. Good luck to him but I’m not missing him not being gifted games.

Of course you would.

No the coach has got nothing to do with the performance of the players :rolleyes:

Good luck to Richmond but that is one player I trust our club to make a call on. There’s usually a very good reason why a player is overlooked round after round despite his talent. You have to trust the club we don’t have all the information, they do.

Before Richmond drafted him, they moved him over to live with Hardwick. This gave the kid a chance in a stable home environment he had never experienced.

He has a difficult background and I understand has had his own legal issues.

While living with Hardwick he trained with the Club. SEN replayed the announcement to Tiger players that the Club had decided to drafted him. Well Stacks now team mates went absolutely berserk. He is clearly well regarded as a person as well as a player. Good for him and good for Richmond for showing some extra due diligence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back