Training 2019 Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Rowe was available to be picked up - a 199 cm KPD who has played 99 games and we didn't want him??
FMD sounds like ideal injury cover at that spot with Maibaum going down.
Saints just picked him up with Roberton taking the year off.
Weird.

Agree. Sam is a classic hard working journeyman. I am delighted he has a chance to reach 100 games.

I suspect he had the same chance as others we delisted or traded, ie zero.

.... And no Caesar, he is not hopeless, just limited. I thought he played a few decent games for the Crims.

He did. But he played a lot more poor ones. Let’s face it the guy’s not that good. No one wants to say it cause he’s a likeable journeyman who has been through a lot but I would back us to use our very proven Key Defender Assembly Line on someone who can be improved, like young Pink, as opposed to a 31 year old.

He did. But he played a lot more poor ones. Let’s face it the guy’s not that good. No one wants to say it cause he’s a likeable journeyman who has been through a lot but I would back us to use our very proven Key Defender Assembly Line on someone who can be improved, like young Pink, as opposed to a 31 year old.

We certainly should not have recruited him. No argument from me.

I don't share your optimism about the Toblerone Pinkster. He's a bit like Rowe. Limited ability but with lots of effort. Who knows? He might develop and prove you right. Hope so.

I hadn't really paid attention to him, don't even have an opinion if he's much good - just his size, strength and experience I thought would be ideal to have on the list a year in case Reg went down. He played 17 games last year so he must have at least been serviceable as a back up after our own back up went down.
I'm happy we signed the youngster last week - just thought we could have used both. Maybe he's pretty settled down there and didn't fancy relocation on mininimum anyhow.
Pink might have to prove Caesar right at some stage this year. Hope they start playing him back a bit in the NEAFL to see how he goes.

Sam Rowe was available to be picked up - a 199 cm KPD who has played 99 games and we didn't want him??
FMD sounds like ideal injury cover at that spot with Maibaum going down.
Saints just picked him up with Roberton taking the year off.
Weird.

Sam Rowe wasn't good enough to warrant a spot on Carlton's list. Now he is on St Kilda's.

I would like to think that our standards are a little higher than those two clubs...

Sam Rowe wasn't good enough to warrant a spot on Carlton's list. Now he is on St Kilda's.

I would like to think that our standards are a little higher than those two clubs...
Yeah, yeah I'd agree with you - but we are talking about a guy who'd be third in line for a KPD role. REG - Melican - Rowe I'd happily take someone with his experience to get that size.
And you'd know he's had plenty of experience playing for Carlton the last 7 years back there - might even look better with us. Surely would handle his biz in the NEAFL and provide a professional big man in reserve. Anyway not to be. Lets hope Reg plays out the year.

Yeah, yeah I'd agree with you - but we are talking about a guy who'd be third in line for a KPD role. REG - Melican - Rowe I'd happily take someone with his experience to get that size.
And you'd know he's had plenty of experience playing for Carlton the last 7 years back there - might even look better with us. Surely would handle his biz in the NEAFL and provide a professional big man in reserve. Anyway not to be. Lets hope Reg plays out the year.

He’s 31, would be a waste of a list spot. Our ruck depth is worse than our key defender depth

I think it is pretty clear that you should be adding Aliir and Rampe in to your thinking of how many players would be between Rowe and a spot in our 22. With those two, Melican and Grundy all fit and available I just don't see the need for an emergency stop-gap KPD who is realistically not going to push for AFL selection without multiple injuries and who is already in his 30s. It is just about the definition of wasting a spot on the list.

Should scrap the jlt

Clubs don’t give a s**t about it at all. Just start the season
I like the fact that it gives fans in remote areas a chance to see their team live that they might not normally get. Seemed a good crowd up in Lismore with a lot of red and white.

Should scrap the jlt

Clubs don’t give a s**t about it at all. Just start the season
I like the fact that it gives fans in remote areas a chance to see their team live that they might not normally get. Seemed a good crowd up in Lismore with a lot of red and white.
I agree that clubs don't give a s**t, and I also like the idea of fans in remote areas getting to see their teams, but mostly I like that there is opportunity to gain match fitness prior to the commencement of the real season! I wish there was still at least three JLT games

Carlton probably got rid of him because he is older and won't be part of their next premiership. Bolton probably wanted to get games into players he hoped would be part of Carlton's next premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton probably got rid of him because he is older and won't be part of their next premiership. Bolton probably wanted to get games into players he hoped would be part of Carlton's next premiership.

Chances are that Bolton won’t be part of their next premiership.

Sam Rowe is not the answer. I dont like to be mean but he is a bit of a hack.

When it comes to our overall list management for 2019 is it fair to say we are "one tall short" in the KP?

We need to be thinking long term about replacing both Reg (32) and Buddy (32). We need Reid and Melican to step up but even if they do, that wont be enough going ahead.

I am less worried about the ruck spot than others. I still have some hope in Naismith and Cameron.

Sam Rowe is not the answer. I dont like to be mean but he is a bit of a hack.

When it comes to our overall list management for 2019 is it fair to say we are "one tall short" in the KP?

We need to be thinking long term about replacing both Reg (32) and Buddy (32). We need Reid and Melican to step up but even if they do, that wont be enough going ahead.

I am less worried about the ruck spot than others. I still have some hope in Naismith and Cameron.

Reid will never step up.

But Blakey & McCartin could be a formidable forward duo if we can develop their talents. It’s been over a decade since we’ve produced a decent key forward from scratch, so to have two would be a bonus.

Fun fact: Sam Rowe was on our list first, back in 2006.

Was drafted right after Kieren Jack and Ed Barlow

Fun fact: Sam Rowe was on our list first, back in 2006.

Was drafted right after Kieren Jack and Ed Barlow

Fun admission. I think at this moment of history -

Sam Rowe is more value on our list than KJ.

Fun admission. I think at this moment of history -

Sam Rowe is more value on our list than KJ.
Sorry but that statement is simply silly.
KJ might be on the precipice of a steep and rapid fall, but whilst I don't see him playing a lot of senior footy this year, i see him bringing a hell of a lot of experience and leadership and guidance to the young players on our list, something that Sam Rowe could never possibly do.

Sorry but that statement is simply silly.
KJ might be on the precipice of a steep and rapid fall, but whilst I don't see him playing a lot of senior footy this year, i see him bringing a hell of a lot of experience and leadership and guidance to the young players on our list, something that Sam Rowe could never possibly do.

no argument about the leadership KJ will offer in the 2s .... we have heaps of options ahead of KJ in the mids... but few big fellas in the backs... I am happy we did not recruit Sam... that said while KJ will help in the ressies, his selection in the seniors will be restrcuted to his farewell game.

... and how do you know Rowe has little to offer juniors?

no argument about the leadership KJ will offer in the 2s .... we have heaps of options ahead of KJ in the mids... but few big fellas in the backs... I am happy we did not recruit Sam... that said while KJ will help in the ressies, his selection in the seniors will be restrcuted to his farewell game.

... and how do you know Rowe has little to offer juniors?
Experience and leadership- KJ has it in spades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back