Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seedsman had a fair bit of exposed form, seeing he'd be in and out of Collingwoods best 22 for a few years. We paid rather similar for Jenkins to what we did for Stengle too, seeing that trade was 31 -> Jenkins + 41
So how many games do you think Stengle plays ?

He has always been amongst our fittest... which makes even more puzzling why he doesn't like to tackle a player as no problems catching them.
I remember watching PS training for Atkins first couple of seasons .......he looked ok in the running ....but at the end of the session, the players would run 400's .......he'd be good the 1st 400 ......but the 2nd and 3rd he was deadset last

So he's improved with each PS ......so the lad is trying to improve

So how many games do you think Stengle plays ?

This year, ideally 0.

No different to the circumstances we picked up Jenkins, in which he would have ideally played 0 games in 2012. He was initially insurance in-case Tippett jumped ship. Much like Stengle is insurance in case Betts calls it a day at the end of 2019, or falls off a cliff form wise.

Last edited:

This year, ideally 0.

No different to the circumstances we picked up Jenkins, in which he would have ideally played 0 games in 2012. He was initially insurance in-case Tippett jumped ship. Much like Stengle is insurance in case Betts calls it a day at the end of 2019, or falls off a cliff form wise.
Or his planned replacement for 2020, after Eddie retires ? ......but is this his last year? ....I thought he had 2 years remaining on the Contract ?

Or his planned replacement for 2020, after Eddie retires ? ......but is this his last year? ....I thought he had 2 years remaining on the Contract ?

There has been a little bit of smoke that he may call it at the end of this year.

I doubt it personally, but may as well prepare for the possibility, especially when the cost in getting an insurance in case is negligible.

No ! .....we have the forward line well covered .....our issue has been midfield pace & forward delivery ......Brouch & Milera adds some pace, but Brouch's disposal is not elite .....we need the likes of Milera & Seedsman delivering to the frwd line
We can rest him up forward if the starting forwards don't perform well during the match. I'm still saying play predominantly both HBF and midfield.
All the best midfielders can play up forward and can kick goals during a match.

We can rest him up forward if the starting forwards don't perform well during the match. I'm still saying play predominantly both HBF and midfield.
All the best midfielders can play up forward and can kick goals during a match.

We've tried Milera forward, and the results were pretty terrible. Not something I'm in any rush to try again.

If you're talking about the big three in Dusty/Fyfe/Danger, sure. There are plenty of AA calibre midfielders who can't do s**t forward, the most recent brownlow medalist being a prime example (ignoring how worthless it is to use the brownlow as a metric).

We've tried Milera forward, and the results were pretty terrible. Not something I'm in any rush to try again.

If you're talking about the big three in Dusty/Fyfe/Danger, sure. There are plenty of AA calibre midfielders who can't do s**t forward, the most recent brownlow medalist being a prime example (ignoring how worthless it is to use the brownlow as a metric).
I was actually using more in reference to our own organic backyard - Roo, McCleod, Goodwin. All were brilliant midfielders who could play almost equally well as forwards. I find it bemusing how everyone can start seeing the skills and talents in Milera and still think of him as a "terrible" forward.

From what I can remember, Milera actually started with us playing in the forward zones and was kicking some special goals. Bearing in mind he was new then and a big change in confidence now than he was 2 years ago. No reason he can't also improve in the forward line, as he has in both midfield/HBF positions. Though I'm not suggesting up forward should be his main spot, just that he can be rested in the forward line only if need be.

Apparantly over 20 players set best ever times, which is very pleasing. Appears we have learnt from last year's mistakes.

Did we run downhill this year?

Outstanding effort by Ned and Chayce. Given that Wayne is the current benchmark, he wasn't pushing top 3 in his first year IIRC. So these two should have everybody covered in a couple of years. Interesting to hear Dougy say we are looking to replicate the Richmond high pressure forward line. Ned and Chayce a great chance to both slot into our best 22 forward line. I wonder how Murphy is doing with building up his tank. Loved what he was bringing at times last season, but he'll be lucky if these two aren't already past him by R1.

Really positive to see ROB up there. I was very disappointed we didnt go out and get a new number 1, but hopefully ROB can surprise. Surely he gets games this year.

It’s going to be difficult when we’ve got Tex, JJ and Lynch as certain starters down there. We won’t be able to replicate it, it’s pure fantasy. We can improve in that area, but there’ll be no replication.

Great to see Hartigan doing some decent sprint work after skipping the time trial, but Douglas mentioning Talia has had 'a few little hiccups' doesn't sound too good.

Knight can't take a trick, his body doesn't seem able to handle AFL level training and games.

Very happy to hear the Gooch is back on track.

Heel sounds a bit ominous, hard to get miles in the legs with a bad heel.

or you could look at the 20 players who weren't up to the standard they have set before

Or you could take into account that of that 20 there’s guys like Betts, Otten etc who’s best times are b3hind them. Then you’ve got a number of guys injured enough to not run at all and then more again like B Crouch who’ve been fitter in the past but are returning from injury or are still injured to some extent so can’t post PBs. So you’re typically simplistic assessment fails dismally again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually using more in reference to our own organic backyard - Roo, McCleod, Goodwin. All were brilliant midfielders who could play almost equally well as forwards. I find it bemusing how everyone can start seeing the skills and talents in Milera and still think of him as a "terrible" forward.

From what I can remember, Milera actually started with us playing in the forward zones and was kicking some special goals. Bearing in mind he was new then and a big change in confidence now than he was 2 years ago. No reason he can't also improve in the forward line, as he has in both midfield/HBF positions. Though I'm not suggesting up forward should be his main spot, just that he can be rested in the forward line only if need be.

He was s**t there last year, droppable. That’s why many were up in arms that he was shunted there to keep Mackay in the side at half back.

So Sauce will play every game next season? Seriously though, I hope we are realistic with how we play Sauce this year. Needs rests every so often.

Won’t happen, he thrives on continuity and workload. Lock him and his gold pass in but hope he turns it around because he’s playing every single game.

It’s going to be difficult when we’ve got Tex, JJ and Lynch as certain starters down there. We won’t be able to replicate it, it’s pure fantasy. We can improve in that area, but there’ll be no replication.

Probably true. Richmond won’t be able to either now they have Lynch. It’ll be nice to have some genuine forward pressure that can be applied for 4 quarters though.

I know people don’t like to give Rat a wrap but considering where he’s come from the fact he runs top 6 in a very high standard AFL running standard at crows is a massive testament to him

Can’t helo but go back to the last showdown where he was clutch when it counted and think he can continue to improve as he wants it bad

Well done Rat
He's one of those blokes that rises and falls to the level of the team. He usually can't lift 'em up by himself, but if we're flying he usually is too.

What Wayne said above , in my mind he’s got a bit of Jack Higgins about him without the prolific possession count and class ... a more defensively minded version with similar upbeat personality

Will be a fan and player favourite

Thanks for that, as I said I don't know too much about this years draftees.

Who would you think gets a game first between McHenry & Jones?
Do you have a game style & player comparison for Chayce Jones?

Or you could take into account that of that 20 there’s guys like Betts, Otten etc who’s best times are b3hind them. Then you’ve got a number of guys injured enough to not run at all and then more again like B Crouch who’ve been fitter in the past but are returning from injury or are still injured to some extent so can’t post PBs. So you’re typically simplistic assessment fails dismally again.

And on the other side of the coin you have all the young players coming through who will naturally be building up and getting better times year after year.

The disturbing thing about your statement is those 20 players who are getting older or injured and not running the times of years gone by, how will that affect their ability in a game if they are getting older and slower like thommo did or injured players like talia going in without a pre season

And on the other side of the coin you have all the young players coming through who will naturally be building up and getting better times year after year.

The disturbing thing about your statement is those 20 players who are getting older or injured and not running the times of years gone by, how will that affect their ability in a game if they are getting older and slower like thommo did or injured players like talia going in without a pre season
Nah....the Crows won't carry declining stars or injured players with these promising young kids around :)

Reading through the preseason and in turn the guesses at our 2019 team, we did the right thing in trading away a first rounder for an elite pick this year.

We are already struggling to see where Fogarty, Jones, McHenry, Hamill, McAdam, McPherson, Stengle and Pohohkle will fit, 3 of those are first rounders.

Another player to develop would have been difficult. Whereas a player picked 1-4 will be a given starter.

Nah....the Crows won't carry declining stars or injured players with these promising young kids around :)
Pretty much agree. New coaches I hope will bring new philosophies and I hope match committee's days of free passes are over. Would prefer Jenkins/Himmelberg or Jenkins/ROB ruck combo over seeing Jacobs shuffle around the ground.

Back