Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah....the Crows won't carry declining stars or injured players with these promising young kids around :)

Problem is these promising young stars aren't and may never be capable of becoming the ability in replacing the likes of Betts, Walker,JJ, Talia, Gibbs, Lynch, Jacobs, not many come through of that quality, but you need to try I suppose whuch is why the list is the most important part of a premiership, remind me how that's been going for us

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
It’s going to be difficult when we’ve got Tex, JJ and Lynch as certain starters down there. We won’t be able to replicate it, it’s pure fantasy. We can improve in that area, but there’ll be no replication.
Good. Would be a terrible idea.

We should aim for something more like Hawks forward line in 2013-2015. Multiple tall marking threats, isolated through composed and skilled delivery. (If Seed and Milera on the wings can replicate what Smith and Hill did for the hawks that will be huge in enabling that forward setup to work.)

With just enough forward pressure to keep the defenders from waltzing clear uncontested.

Unlike some of our games in 2018, and our final game of 2017, where the opposition defenders always had time for think music.

It would be a terrible idea to throw away a strength to make a poor imitation of last year’s Richmond - say by dropping Jenkins/Lynch - and there’s no way Pyke is dumb enough to try that. So we play to our strengths.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Problem is these promising young stars aren't and may never be capable of becoming the ability in replacing the likes of Betts, Walker,JJ, Talia, Gibbs, Lynch, Jacobs, not many come through of that quality, but you need to try I suppose whuch is why the list is the most important part of a premiership, remind me how that's been going for us
Bloody Betts, Walker, JJ, Lynch, Jacobs, Otten, Douglas and Mackay let us down.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We haven’t, it’s the belief that we have to be so structured with our thinking. Blight wasn’t out best coach because he sat on his hands based on a preordained plan. He moved with the game and took risks. Coaches these days are just planners.
You know what, I agree with a lot that you are saying, but personally I just think Milera could still benefit from 1 more season as a rotation player.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He won't be a full time mid ......but the time is right, year 4 .....he's ready, no use playing it safe
I think we are more or less arguing the same point with a bit of semantics thrown in. My side was he spend the lions share down back to start the season, where-as others would say the opposite ratio.

At the end of the day we all just want the ball in this kids hands as much as possible, so which ever way it pans out we are all winning in the end!

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can’t see the harm in playing him in the middle for the JLT
In the JLT i'd like to see Milera and Gooch get substantial minutes through the midfield. Also, the wing positions will be fascinating. All of a sudden we seem to have a plethora of guys that could be our outside running wingers for round 1.

Atkins
McKay
Ned
Chayce
Seedsman
Milera
Gibbs
Sloane
Knight
Smith

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the JLT i'd like to see Milera and Gooch get substantial minutes through the midfield. Also, the wing positions will be fascinating. All of a sudden we seem to have a plethora of guys that could be our outside running wingers for round 1.

Atkins
McKay
Ned
Chayce
Seedsman
Milera
Gibbs
Sloane
Knight
Smith
I think Andrew McPherson could be added to that list. Perhaps Will Hamill as the season progresses.

He's one of those blokes that rises and falls to the level of the team. He usually can't lift 'em up by himself, but if we're flying he usually is too.

It's very rare to have an outside midfielder who doesn't have that problem.

The more outside your game is, the more reliant you are on the work done by others.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I know people don’t like to give Rat a wrap but considering where he’s come from the fact he runs top 6 in a very high standard AFL running standard at crows is a massive testament to him

Can’t helo but go back to the last showdown where he was clutch when it counted and think he can continue to improve as he wants it bad

Well done Rat

Rat out of necessity was forced to play a little bit more of an inside role last year, hopefully this year he gets back to playing a more traditional outside role

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Andrew McPherson could be added to that list. Perhaps Will Hamill as the season progresses.
I think Will Hamill could end up being a great pick up, but daresay he's in for a Doedee like wait in the Magoo's.

McPherson, well, I think I just pulled a groin typing his name...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's very rare to have an outside midfielder who doesn't have that problem.

The more outside your game is, the more reliant you are on the work done by others.
Correct, also the reason pure outside mids are generally the club whipping boys etc Atkins, Mackay. If they are too contested then they are probably not providing enough outside run, but if they are not contested enough then they are seen as soft...

Its a very fine line and most outside guys struggle with consistency because of that!

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
That was his fame & passion .....so no surprise

But what i liked was coming to the finish line, Milera being more experienced, was happy to cruise to the line ......but Ned wanted the win, and his face showed the effort ....i like that in a player !

I also think Milera never looks like he’s struggling. He’s always cruising/gliding. Very similar to McLeod

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rat out of necessity was forced to play a little bit more of an inside role last year, hopefully this year he gets back to playing a more traditional outside role
I predict major competition for Rat this year. You would have to say a fit Seedsman is this teams #1 attacking wingman. And before this offseason you would have automatically penciled in Rat for the opposite wing.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that in his exit interview Pykey told him that wasn't the case in 2019, and that he will need a hell of an offseason to win the role in week 1.

Fingers crossed it brings the best out in him, cause at his best he can be a very damaging player!

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

Atkins
McKay
Ned
Chayce
Seedsman
Milera
Gibbs
Sloane
Knight
Smith
Didn't we try to get kelly running through there last season? Looks to have a tank for it.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I predict major competition for Rat this year. You would have to say a fit Seedsman is this teams #1 attacking wingman. And before this offseason you would have automatically penciled in Rat for the opposite wing.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that in his exit interview Pykey told him that wasn't the case in 2019, and that he will need a hell of an offseason to win the role in week 1.

Fingers crossed it brings the best out in him, cause at his best he can be a very damaging player!

Rat finished 9th 9n out 2018 BnF, I have no doubt he is in Pyke's best 22 however like all players would have been read the riot act on returning in great shape and focusing on areas of improvement

we dropped from making the GF to missing the finals, every player should have had a strong, clear and meaningful exit interview

Correct, also the reason pure outside mids are generally the club whipping boys etc Atkins, Mackay. If they are too contested then they are probably not providing enough outside run, but if they are not contested enough then they are seen as soft...

Its a very fine line and most outside guys struggle with consistency because of that!

I would say there is a bit more there with Mackay then he is just outside, as there is a player who really can't use the tools he possesses at this level (which is a real shame as if you ignored how ill suited his brain is to football, there is an AA calibre winger in Mackay). Atkins, however, is definitely is a victim of that phenomenon to a degree, though there is a large part of that is being too narrow in how a player contributes to a side.

Atkins is definitely on the soft side and really lacks the aggression to be a prominent defensive threat. Capable of course when he has too however. Now, he's in one of the couple of positions that he can get away without being a defensive threat (KPF, and outside mid), but the moment he has a lean run offensively, it becomes a massive problem seeing he's really offering nothing to a side at that point in time. Atkins however, is a question of how to fix that defensive application, and trying to get that to a passable level without affecting his offensive game. I don't think you could ever expect a good defensive player from Atkins, as that is really at the point it's something you either have, or don't without development making any real difference to it.

Really, Atkins is a very good player in those 16-22 spots in a list. A player who whilst is very hot/cold is always a threat to rip a quarter apart. As long as we have better outside options above him, doing the lionshare of the work, we'll be fine with that one. You can certainly carry someone like that.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers

I actually don't think he's trolling, and reckon there'd be a few objective observers out there who'd agree with his assessment.

I'm obviously not objective myself, but I tend to agree with him. There'll obviously be be a few other big improvers in the comp this year as well, but none with the upside that we've got. We seem to be doing most things right so far (particularly in terms of the players mindset, attitude and fitness). Throw in a functional Brad Crouch (which is massive) and a fully restored Brodie - both of whom massively improve the make up of our team - and a couple of quality first round draft picks that address a couple of our gaping issues in speed and tackling - we'll be right there at the pointy end I reckon.

It’s going to be difficult when we’ve got Tex, JJ and Lynch as certain starters down there. We won’t be able to replicate it, it’s pure fantasy. We can improve in that area, but there’ll be no replication.

I agree. It's definitely an area that needs focus, and if we're trying to replicate it to a degree, we've definitely worked out a major problem in our lineup.

That said, as what was mentioned later. Replicating it to the best of our abilities whilst carrying a traditional 3 tall structure is really going to be the key for this this season. Definitely doable seeing we have two spots open for a defensively strong small.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I actually don't think he's trolling, and reckon there'd be a few objective observers out there who'd agree with his assessment.

I'm obviously not objective myself, but I tend to agree with him. There'll obviously be be a few other big improvers in the comp this year as well, but none with the upside that we've got. We seem to be doing most things right so far (particularly in terms of the players mindset, attitude and fitness). Throw in a functional Brad Crouch (which is massive) and a fully restored Brodie - both of whom massively improve the make up of our team - and a couple of quality first round draft picks that address a couple of our gaping issues in speed and tackling - we'll be right there at the pointy end I reckon.

Smith and Crouch are obviously huge inclusions however having a happy and super fit list is the biggest point of differnece

the players did not return n the right condition or mindset last year, then throw in the disastrous pre-season camp it was just the worse off season ever and as a result our season sucked as well

as a playing list they are fit and happy and now the B Crouch and Smith factors is pure icing on the cake

Back