Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A blind man can't see so he has an excuse so what's yours? Don't know what you were watching in 2017 but it certainly wasn't Brad.

One year out of how many on the list? How many games played against games that could possibly have been played by this bloke? I wish him nothing but success because we are a better team with Brad fit and firing. I'll still hang fire until he proves his body can withstand the stains and stresses of AFL footy.
You think differently and I don't give a rat's arse.

One year out of how many on the list? How many games played against games that could possibly have been played by this bloke? I wish him nothing but success because we are a better team with Brad fit and firing. I'll still hang fire until he proves his body can withstand the stains and stresses of AFL footy.
You think differently and I don't give a rat's arse.
A fit gun coming back from injury is like a new recruit!
I agree with you after a long lay-off, I hope Brad can show us he’s still got the burst speed and agility. He does add an extra layer of dimension to our midfield, which complicates the opposition planning.

A fit gun coming back from injury is like a new recruit!
I agree with you after a long lay-off, I hope Brad can show us he’s still got the burst speed and agility. He does add an extra layer of dimension to our midfield, which complicates the opposition planning.
Reckon Dougie's a bit closer to the action than us and he seemed pretty assured that Brad has his speed, agility and acceleration going on all cylinders.

Reckon Dougie's a bit closer to the action than us and he seemed pretty assured that Brad has his speed, agility and acceleration going on all cylinders.
What I liked from what Dougie mentioned, was that Brad made a bet with Matt that he would beat him in the time trial. Means he has a lot of confidence in his fitness and how he is feeling. Great signs.

What I liked from what Dougie mentioned, was that Brad made a bet with Matt that he would beat him in the time trial. Means he has a lot of confidence in his fitness and how he is feeling. Great signs.

Or he’s just a terrible gambler but hopefully you’re correct.

Atkins has his name on the team sheet in the wing position for Round 1 because Pyke loves having a left footer on the left wing (my belief, haven’t seen him say it anywhere).

But he will he dropped if he’s not performing - as happened this year.
Have a feeling this will be a strong year for Atkins .....as you say, his left foot is an asset on that wing & his kicks are very dangerous to the opposition

Atkins has his name on the team sheet in the wing position for Round 1 because Pyke loves having a left footer on the left wing (my belief, haven’t seen him say it anywhere).

But he will he dropped if he’s not performing - as happened this year.
Last year? ;)

It's very rare to have an outside midfielder who doesn't have that problem.

The more outside your game is, the more reliant you are on the work done by others.

Des Hedland. Superstar for Brisbane and premiership player.

Recruited by Freo, absolutely maligned by supporters and looks ordinary.

Outside players are the first that supporters turn on when the team isn't winning. Not hard enough, not winning enough of their own ball etc. etc.

You are spot on Golumless, the more outside your game, the more you rely on others.

They are an critical part of a successful team though. The more successful the team, the better they look.

Last edited:
This is the one post cane does per year so he can say he isn't anti crows for the rest of the year.

"No, I don't hate the crows, I tipped them to win the flag"
It also sets them up for failure. Anything short of a flag is underachieving. He's a complete tossbag.

I’ll look at that clip later this weekend. I’m not too concerned with Brad’s fitness levels. Though after a long layoff and a significant operation, I don’t think he would be at his peak speed/agility as yet. It’ll be interesting to know if he’s actually doing all the training drills like other players currently.

I’ll look at that clip later this weekend. I’m not too concerned with Brad’s fitness levels. Though after a long layoff and a significant operation, I don’t think he would be at his peak speed/agility as yet. It’ll be interesting to know if he’s actually doing all the training drills like other players currently.
As there has been a fair bit of attention regarding how Brad was travelling, and questions from reporters during pressers, up until this point he has been doing 80% of the sessions thus far. Is expected to be doing the full sessions going forward now we are back from the Christmas/New year break. Barring any set backs of course. Let's hope there aren't any.

Problem is these promising young stars aren't and may never be capable of becoming the ability in replacing the likes of Betts, Walker,JJ, Talia, Gibbs, Lynch, Jacobs, not many come through of that quality, but you need to try I suppose whuch is why the list is the most important part of a premiership, remind me how that's been going for us

It’s alive!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct, also the reason pure outside mids are generally the club whipping boys etc Atkins, Mackay. If they are too contested then they are probably not providing enough outside run, but if they are not contested enough then they are seen as soft...

Its a very fine line and most outside guys struggle with consistency because of that!

Why does everyone ignore the most outside player on our list? It’s not Atkins and it’s not McKay, both of whom are much more contested than Brodie Smith

There are few players in the league who get less contested ball than Smithers. There are none in our team

I’m not even making a criticism, I am pointing out the hypocrisy in using this measure to beat less favoured players

As there has been a fair bit of attention regarding how Brad was travelling, and questions from reporters during pressers, up until this point he has been doing 80% of the sessions thus far. Is expected to be doing the full sessions going forward now we are back from the Christmas/New year break. Barring any set backs of course. Let's hope there aren't any.
I feel a lot of people are jumping the gun a bit with the excitement of Brad returning to training and hopefully playing games.

The amount of full training will determine his probability of playing in SANFL. Then how he performs in SANFL will determine how quickly he can get back to AFL. Don’t think he will be a certain starter for round 1, but hope he just keeps increasing his training load!

I feel a lot of people are jumping the gun a bit with the excitement of Brad returning to training and hopefully playing games.

The amount of full training will determine his probability of playing in SANFL. Then how he performs in SANFL will determine how quickly he can get back to AFL. Don’t think he will be a certain starter for round 1, but hope he just keeps increasing his training load!
So you honestly believe after missing his services for a full season we'll start Brad in the magoos if he's passed as 100% fit and ready to go?

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

If Brad's ticked all the boxes with the fitness department and has no setbacks he won't be playing the magoos!

So you honestly believe after missing his services for a full season we'll start Brad in the magoos if he's passed as 100% fit and ready to go?

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

If Brad's ticked all the boxes with the fitness department and has no setbacks he won't be playing the magoos!

Gut feel is that his looseners will be pencilled in for SANFL at about round 3-4 and we’ll see him around 5-6. With such an important asset, there’s no need to rush a managed preseason to be ready for an arbitrary round 1 return. If he’s flying and plays JLT then round one it is, but if he doesn’t play JLT I won’t be worrying until a few weeks later if he hasn’t been selected for the 2’s.

Last edited:
Why does everyone ignore the most outside player on our list? It’s not Atkins and it’s not McKay, both of whom are much more contested than Brodie Smith

There are few players in the league who get less contested ball than
Smithers. There are none in our team

I’m not even making a criticism, I am pointing out the hypocrisy in using this measure to beat less favoured players

His contested ball ratio may be less, but Smith generally is more prepared to tackle and put his body the line than Atkins is.
I think his numbers would look different if he he was played in the midfield.

Back