Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So you honestly believe after missing his services for a full season we'll start Brad in the magoos if he's passed as 100% fit and ready to go?

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

If Brad's ticked all the boxes with the fitness department and has no setbacks he won't be playing the magoos!
They've said they plan on him being available for the JLT games. That would likely determine his availability for Round 1.

Looking ahead to round 1.....last year we played Otten, Hartigan, Gibson, Mackay, Wilson, Cheney and Poholke against the Hawks.
We were missing: Sloan, B.Crouch, Smith, Lynch, Keith, Knight, Brown and LAIRD !!!
Hawkes were coming off the bye....nice and fresh....with a home game.
We were coming off a 6 day break having played in Perth the week before.
Tom Mitchell was BOG with 38 possessions.

What a difference this time around.....

Why does everyone ignore the most outside player on our list? It’s not Atkins and it’s not McKay, both of whom are much more contested than Brodie Smith

There are few players in the league who get less contested ball than Smithers. There are none in our team

I’m not even making a criticism, I am pointing out the hypocrisy in using this measure to beat less favoured players

Atkins is ok in a contest trying to get the ball, he’s just god awful when ‘trying’ to tackle opponents, he just allows them to waltz straight past him. I rate him highly, but I don’t understand how a player can have so little desire to tackle an opponent when given the opportunity. For all Dmac’s tackling intent, he’s as useful as Rat, so he gets no points from me for trying. Smith is different, I’ve seen him hunt ground ball and man really well in contested situations, it’s just that we don’t deploy him into those very often. He excites me as a genuine inside/outside player, but I guess the question is would we lose more than we potentially gain. I think with a fit Seed, in form Rat and Milera gunning it, we might be able to see what Smith brings closer to the contest for a few minutes each quarter.

Surely Milera is your first picked wingman if Brodie Smith returns across half back which youd think might be easier for him than playing on a wing. But the 2 are very much interchangeable.

Atkins for me is your 3rd winger and is required for rotations there

I think the small forwards spot is going to be very interesting. 2 spots available with Betts holding one. Chayce and Ned seem like very eager characters so would do a job if given and if thats to pressure than i feel they could be in line for a round 1 debut. Is Galluci really a lock? Or could 2 of Chayce, Ned, McAddam get a gig in front of him?

Surely Milera is your first picked wingman if Brodie Smith returns across half back which youd think might be easier for him than playing on a wing. But the 2 are very much interchangeable.

Atkins for me is your 3rd winger and is required for rotations there

I think the small forwards spot is going to be very interesting. 2 spots available with Betts holding one. Chayce and Ned seem like very eager characters so would do a job if given and if thats to pressure than i feel they could be in line for a round 1 debut. Is Galluci really a lock? Or could 2 of Chayce, Ned, McAddam get a gig in front of him?

I think Gooch is a lock, but will get more midfield minutes. I see the 6 starters in the forward area as;

Lynch. Tex. gooch
Betts. JJ. ??

I think the ?? will be one of Ned, Chayce, McAdam or Murphy. I can’t see 2 of those 4 being in the same 22 early in the year without injuries or unless Douglas turns to complete s**t. As a 200+ gamer, he only needs to be borderline to earn selection at our club because we use experience and continuity as multipliers to actual game output come selection time. Knight’s ongoing fitness concerns could see more games from that crew as well.

I don’t think that’s an issue. Concussions stop you taking the field, they don’t change the way you play. If it does, regardless of role, you’ll find your career over pretty quickly.
Can't agree with much of that, having already suffered 2 concussions [One a really bad one] I just don't see the advantage to the team of putting Brodie more heavily in the 'line of fire' anytime soon......not when a fit and firing Brodie is in the very top echelon of running attacking backs in the AFL and already an AA in that very role. I'm not sure about the not changing the way you play bit either after repeated concussions.

So you honestly believe after missing his services for a full season we'll start Brad in the magoos if he's passed as 100% fit and ready to go?

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

If Brad's ticked all the boxes with the fitness department and has no setbacks he won't be playing the magoos!
Sheesh, not like I’m speaking outlandish delusions!

It’s an educated guess (much like what you’re doing), and one based on seeing many players coming back from long layoffs, they often start in the reserves.

Also, training well doesn’t automatically mean a player is “match fit”. Playing again at a lower grade installs more confidence in the player and his confidence in his body to attack hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheesh, not like I’m speaking outlandish delusions!

It’s an educated guess (much like what you’re doing), and one based on seeing many players coming back from long layoffs, they often start in the reserves.

Also, training well doesn’t automatically mean a player is “match fit”. Playing again at a lower grade installs more confidence in the player and his confidence in his body to attack hard.

Did the club play Smith in the magoo's long ? .......Brad has had (hope) a full PS ....with a JLT series, there's no need to get match fitness & confidence .....if the club did that, Brad would be mighty pissed

Can't agree with much of that, having already suffered 2 concussions [One a really bad one] I just don't see the advantage to the team of putting Brodie more heavily in the 'line of fire' anytime soon......not when a fit and firing Brodie is in the very top echelon of running attacking backs in the AFL and already an AA in that very role. I'm not sure about the not changing the way you play bit either after repeated concussions.
Smith with his booming kick, will be taking a lot of the kick-ins this year

They've said they plan on him being available for the JLT games. That would likely determine his availability for Round 1.
The fact he’s still yet to do full training makes me think they’re going to nurse him through the JLT with partial game time in these preseason games. Then likely he’s going to play SANFL for a few weeks, and then hopefully he’ll show consistent stats and full confidence in his body, then AFL games await!

What evidence have you got that players change how they go about it? Plenty to the contrary, Selwood, Williams, Platten. If a player chooses to not go when they should for any reason at all it’s front page AFL news. There’s no evidence that players play differently after a concussion.

Smith with his booming kick, will be taking a lot of the kick-ins this year

The extra 9m will be of zero use if we wait for Smith to get back into position to take the kick in. It’s this attitude that you can only have 1 or 2 players kick in that resulted in our famed long and right strategy. The best way to transition full field is to kick in quickly before opposition have a chance to set up. Once they’re set up, you then need a much better leg to pierce the zones, but prior to set up, nearly every AFL level player should be capable of getting the ball by foot to a player with a bit of space.

Did the club play Smith in the magoo's long ? .......Brad has had (hope) a full PS ....with a JLT series, there's no need to get match fitness & confidence .....if the club did that, Brad would be mighty pissed
Quite arguably our best midfielder when fit would have every right to be mighty pissed if he's ticked all of the boxes and met all the fitness requirements.....this is one of the most 'natural' footballers on our list.

Quite arguably our best midfielder when fit would have every right to be mighty pissed if he's ticked all of the boxes and met all the fitness requirements.....this is one of the most 'natural' footballers on our list.

I have him as our best with a gap to second, but reality is that he’s coming back from yet another 12 months out. Last time he ticked the boxes, played a couple in the 2’s to remove the rust, then a couple of AFL and then a couple back in the 2’s. I wouldn’t have sent him back to the 2’s, I thought his only issue was over-trying causing fatigue and then poor disposal. This would have resolved itself pretty quickly without those seconds games. In any case, flatly refusing to accept that Brad may get a loosener or two in the 2s completely ignores his return path in 2017.

I have him as our best with a gap to second, but reality is that he’s coming back from yet another 12 months out. Last time he ticked the boxes, played a couple in the 2’s to remove the rust, then a couple of AFL and then a couple back in the 2’s. I wouldn’t have sent him back to the 2’s, I thought his only issue was over-trying causing fatigue and then poor disposal. This would have resolved itself pretty quickly without those seconds games. In any case, flatly refusing to accept that Brad may get a loosener or two in the 2s completely ignores his return path in 2017.
The notable difference is the 2018/19 pre-season he's been able to complete with 'touch wood' no real setbacks to this point. We'll see come round 1 if he gets through the pre-season with no issues.

The notable difference is the 2018/19 pre-season he's been able to complete with 'touch wood' no real setbacks to this point. We'll see come round 1 if he gets through the pre-season with no issues.

I think his minutes in the JLT will tell the story. But I wouldn’t be rushing him or any other player into round 1 unless they’re 100% right to go. Hampered preseasons are a precursor to less than optimal seasons. If player’s aren’t right to go by round 1, big deal, someone else will play, it’s not the end of the world. More important for guys like Brad and Talia is that prepared physically for the long season because they’re critical if we go deep into September. If that means their preseason goes from January to May then so be it.

I think his minutes in the JLT will tell the story. But I wouldn’t be rushing him or any other player into round 1 unless they’re 100% right to go. Hampered preseasons are a precursor to less than optimal seasons. If player’s aren’t right to go by round 1, big deal, someone else will play, it’s not the end of the world. More important for guys like Brad and Talia is that prepared physically for the long season because they’re critical if we go deep into September. If that means their preseason goes from January to May then so be it.
Seems like you’ve learnt lessons in our horrid 2018 mismanagement season.
It shouldn’t be about pleasing the players or fans, but selections solely based on performance ability and injury risks/recurrences.

We need to be smarter about it this year.

Difference is he returned early to mid season in 2017. He's currently fit in a preseason in 2019.

If he gets through preseason without injuring himself (which is something that I don't think has ever happened in Brad's career), he plays round 1 without a doubt because you've removed any need for a loosener.

Back