Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
CEY improves our depth and admittedly given the injury issues of Brouch is a must need for depth.

Interestingly enough CEY, becomes a FA at the end of this year.
Then this is a massive year for him. I think the rule changes could benefit CEY as a mobile tall. Depending on how these changes pan out over the year I think there will be a need for mids that can ruck. I have a feeling the day of the lumbering tall are numbered.

Although AFLX is just a bit of fun he is listed as a ruckman for Eddies team.

Then this is a massive year for him. I think the rule changes could benefit CEY as a mobile tall. Depending on how these changes pan out over the year I think there will be a need for mids that can ruck. I have a feeling the day of the lumbering tall are numbered.

Although AFLX is just a bit of fun he is listed as a ruckman for Eddies team.

CEY would be a useful player at GCS or Carlton. Either one of them should look at getting him.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
CEY would be a useful player at GCS or Carlton. Either one of them should look at getting him.

It would have been a smart recruiting move by Carlton

the entire footy world can see that Cripps needs help, CEY would have been ideal

CEY would have also been a great fit for Hawthorn, Mitchell is really there only pure inside mid

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
It would have been a smart recruiting move by Carlton

the entire footy world can see that Cripps needs help, CEY would have been ideal

CEY would have also been a great fit for Hawthorn, Mitchell is really there only pure inside mid

Not the entire football world, Quite a few Carlton Supporter actually believe they have the help he needs in there juniors. They believe Kennedy, Setterfield, Dow, SPS, Gibbons, Walsh and Stocker will be enough to cover.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Im expecting a strong showing in the early part of the season hopefully.

Injuries and suspensions will come, its part and parcel of the game. Its important we take advantage of a solid preseason and hit the start of this year well.
Early wins is the key.
Be at the top gives freedom for trying new things, injuries provide opportunities.
When we are middle of the pack there is less confidence in decisions and we revert to a conservative approach.

This is going to be a fun year I reckon.
Looking forward to seeing the new kids play.

CEY has been gunning the last 2-3 pre-seasons, he's always been fit however his issue is still he struggles with clean hands below his knees and when he fumbles we lose the clearance opportunity and it usually turns into another stoppage

Even though Thor is not quick I like him as a player as he is clean, good decision making, strong overhead and can push forward and kick a goal however if he is not fit and with the new 6-6-6 rule I would rather go with a quicker midfielder than with CEY

We still have enough inside ball winning ability with M Crouch, B Crouch and Sloane and adding CEY doesn't feel like the right mix to me

Not always. Has a bad habit of rushed disposals that result in turnovers when he should take the tackle and force a stoppage or, at worst, concede the free kick and give everyone else the chance to run back and cover spaces. Last 30 seconds of the first Showdown last year the most glaring example. Everyone wants to blame Dougie for that loss, but if Thor had just taken the tackle, we would have had time to cover everyone and would have been less likely to concede that late goal.

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
CEY has been gunning the last 2-3 pre-seasons, he's always been fit however his issue is still he struggles with clean hands below his knees and when he fumbles we lose the clearance opportunity and it usually turns into another stoppage

Even though Thor is not quick I like him as a player as he is clean, good decision making, strong overhead and can push forward and kick a goal however if he is not fit and with the new 6-6-6 rule I would rather go with a quicker midfielder than with CEY

We still have enough inside ball winning ability with M Crouch, B Crouch and Sloane and adding CEY doesn't feel like the right mix to me

Don't know where this continued fallacy about Greenwood not being quick comes from. He is 2.97 over 20m which is the same as our new recruit and his fellow Crow of Tasmanian origins Chayce Jones who is frequently referred to as a speedster. I know I am repeating myself but I believe we should all be familiar with the following thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/some-testing-results-updated-for-2018.1146194/

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't know where this continued fallacy about Greenwood not being quick comes from. He is 2.97 over 20m which is the same as our new recruit and his fellow Crow of Tasmanian origins Chayce Jones who is frequently referred to as a speedster. I know I am repeating myself but I believe we should all be familiar with the following thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/some-testing-results-updated-for-2018.1146194/
I think you have to be careful about playing speed though. There are lots of people who have good top end speed, but spend the vast majority of games no where near that. And then there are guys who look like the energizer bunny, but they actually aren't covering that much ground (cough... Atkins).

Really, I think the eye test is a hugely powerful thing when judging playing speed. How often do blokes get up too top speed and stay there says a lot about their perceived speed. Up until last year I was massively critical of Milera because he looked like he was terrified of running at top pace. I think there is still a certain element of that lack of confidence in Hugh, seems to affect his ability to back up repeat efforts at top speed.

And consequently he has made himself into a player that spends 95% of his time at no more then 70% of his speed, and as such is perceived as a slow player.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
You do realise there is quite a difference between being straight line quick over 20 m on boards in runners to playing quick and agile on grass in footy boots? Personally I get the feel Greenwood's tank is more the problem than his pace.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
You do realise there is quite a difference between being straight line quick over 20 m on boards in runners to playing quick and agile on grass in footy boots? Personally I get the feel Greenwood's tank is more the problem than his pace.

He has that short top line speed, but over a longer distance he severely lags. I love Greenwood, but that and his tank are what are holding him back from being completely elite. He is elite for the short time impact he has, but you are spot on Bicks, it is his tank that has been letting him down which shows how hard it is to transition from basketball to footy.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He has that short top line speed, but over a longer distance he severely lags. I love Greenwood, but that and his tank are what are holding him back from being completely elite. He is elite for the short time impact he has, but you are spot on Bicks, it is his tank that has been letting him down which shows how hard it is to transition from basketball to footy.
Maybe its time we went back to the beginning with him and start playing him primarily as the X Factor HFF (where he probably should have been most of last season). No-one is denying he's good as an inside MID, but he might not be good for our midfield mix, especially if he's battling fitness and aerobic capacity.

If we were to isolate a single deep forward for the 666 Hugh might well be our best option. If I were a defender standing next to Greenwood all alone 20m from goal I would be bricking it. Like you said he's sneaky fast in short bursts, sneaky tall with long arms, reads the ball better the 9 out of 10 players and provides relentless pressure once the ball hits the ground. Plus he has that basketball center of gravity and spacial awareness that lets him do some truly unteachable things in traffic.

With guys like that I say play them where the opposition defense doesn't want them to go!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The write up on Gold Coast has me more bullish for them than I expected, they are finally fit -and healthy after years of injuries.

That early game against Carlton is going to be epic.

A lot of people are sleeping on them currently. If Dew has it, they'll improve.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I hate to be 'that guy' but I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a bunch of previously 'fit' players were suddenly unavailable for JLT and/or Round 1
Historically we release the bad news in the last week of January or the first week of February.

With only two JLTs this year, if we can get to the weekend unscathed then it will officially be a good pre-season (so far).

We are playing our third internal trial this Thursday so it would be unusual if we had no injuries in February. As long as they are minor and not to any of our top twelve players then we will be starting the season in much better shape than last year.

At this time last year Brouch was being “managed” due to a abdominal strain. We fessed up that his groin was a bit of a problem on 20 March but at least it was only a 6-8 week setback :rolleyes:.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
CEY improves our depth and admittedly given the injury issues of Brouch is a must need for depth.

Interestingly enough CEY, becomes a FA at the end of this year.
He's not really AFL quality if we're honest. It's just Danger leaving and perpetual injury crises that resurrected his career. Greenwood having no pre-season means he probably can't run down a rickshaw so CEY might see some action but surely with all the hard running junior mids we've drafted recently his days are numbered. Unless Brouch disintegrates again of course.

Back