Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I am but on this occasion I want inside word on whether this great fitness regime is complemented by some bulking up too.
I misunderstood that you want them to bulk up too soon and totally agree no harm do the bold sentence ..

Peel I wasn’t asking you I was asking eppo.
Don't know Bods but they are very impressed with 3 things so far.
Running fitness. The team seems more bonded with the players that have left and the one's that have come in . The new recruits are very skillful and good movers.
Sorry don't know about the strength side but my friend believes Rigby is an absolute guru re aerobic running fitness.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-03/suns-sign-untried-matureage-recruits-to-longterm-deals

"GOLD Coast's intriguing period of player retention into its fresh reset has started, with the Suns locking away two mature-age recruits on four-year deals.

State league signings Josh Corbett (Werribee) and Chris Burgess (West Adelaide) have put pen to paper on contracts tying them to the club until the end of 2022."

Good to see people wanting to stay. Let's hope they can play as we already have Lemmens and Schoenfeld locked up for another 2 years.

Cameron likes to work from the bottom of the list up.

Interesting that those guys and not Collins received the extra contract years.
Also were our first 2 picked up. Club must really like them.

In general, I do like the concept of securing guys on (presumably) low salary over longer term if the club thinks they are going to be good. You offset the risk of them not being any good (and on an extended deal ie. Lemmens) with the upside that they actually turn out to be excellent AFL players on very team friendly deals.
Comes down to judging who to use this strategy on.

Interesting that those guys and not Collins received the extra contract years.
Also were our first 2 picked up. Club must really like them.

In general, I do like the concept of securing guys on (presumably) low salary over longer term if the club thinks they are going to be good. You offset the risk of them not being any good (and on an extended deal ie. Lemmens) with the upside that they actually turn out to be excellent AFL players on very team friendly deals.
Comes down to judging who to use this strategy on.
Burgess was rumoured as 4 years from the start, so it is interesting he’s getting what seemed incredible terms.
At first I thought the extra 3 State level concession picks must have been linked to the extra 2 Rookie spots. At the time, I also opined that the only way we could fit 3 such players into the senior list plus get enough veterans and draftees was to delist a few contracted players and re-Rookie them.
I was wrong about the State level guys getting placed on the Rookie list (still think the AFL stooged is on that), however, I did get the re-Rookie prediction right and even managed to get 4 out of the 5 names I ventured right. What it proves, which Hawthorn’s Rookie listing of Will Langford confirms, is that players can be delisted and re-Rookied before their contracts are finished. The Suns have even done it before with Mackenzie Willis.
I will predict now that Lemmens, Schoenfeld, Corbett and Burgess will be Rookies before their contracts are done. I hope I am wrong and at least 1 of them can show enough improvement to demand a Top 40 spot and subsequent extension to their contract, but the pattern emerging here is that List Management is churning the list in such a way that it is impossible for only out of contract players to be up for delisting each year.

Burgess was rumoured as 4 years from the start, so it is interesting he’s getting what seemed incredible terms.
At first I thought the extra 3 State level concession picks must have been linked to the extra 2 Rookie spots. At the time, I also opined that the only way we could fit 3 such players into the senior list plus get enough veterans and draftees was to delist a few contracted players and re-Rookie them.
I was wrong about the State level guys getting placed on the Rookie list (still think the AFL stooged is on that), however, I did get the re-Rookie prediction right and even managed to get 4 out of the 5 names I ventured right. What it proves, which Hawthorn’s Rookie listing of Will Langford confirms, is that players can be delisted and re-Rookied before their contracts are finished. The Suns have even done it before with Mackenzie Willis.
I will predict now that Lemmens, Schoenfeld, Corbett and Burgess will be Rookies before their contracts are done. I hope I am wrong and at least 1 of them can show enough improvement to demand a Top 40 spot and subsequent extension to their contract, but the pattern emerging here is that List Management is churning the list in such a way that it is impossible for only out of contract players to be up for delisting each year.
I guess that’s one way to meet the salary floor without having to pay overs for guys that don’t deserve it purely so we meet the salary cap requirements.
I think having to pay 95% of the cap is ridiculous. Maybe 80% is a fairer number for mine.

Hi guys, have written a preview of Gold Coast's 2019 season. Feel free to give it a read. https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/12/03/gold-coast-2019-season-preview-best-22-and-predicted-finish/
Pretty fair assessment, although I don’t know why you feel the need to apply the Victorian media’s “Suns of woe” tone to everything considering it is such a parochial, misinformed view that does neither you nor the Roar any favours.
I fully expect the comments in reply to this article to be “Suns should just go to Tasmania”, “worst list since Fitzroy” and “wooden spoon certainties”.
To your credit, you haven’t just slagged off the Suns and you’ve written with pretty keen insight. Your glaring error was in the paragraph where you claim the Suns have no established star player. If you don’t rate Jack Martin then you haven’t watched much Suns football. The bloke is elite and deserves recognition.

Hi guys, have written a preview of Gold Coast's 2019 season. Feel free to give it a read. https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/12/03/gold-coast-2019-season-preview-best-22-and-predicted-finish/
That's a well written piece. Better than a lot we see in the paid media. Well done.

With so many changes to personnel, it is hard to know what to expect from the Suns in 2019. We seem to have recruited some solid citizens, plus some of the most talented youngsters available. I'd have liked Lynch & May to stay & play alongside them, but that wasn't to be. I think a lot depends on how well our more mature recruits from both AFL & State League clubs play. Are they up to AFL standard or not? I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for posting.
Agree with most of your assessment including the lack of star player - that is pretty damn clear to me 17er, Jack Martin does star like things most weeks but a star player is someone who performs consistently at high level for a whole game week in week out.
Jack definitely has the ability but its pretty hard to argue he has delivered at star level just yet.

He has been played everywhere which is tough on him but in his 81 game career
- 1 brownlow vote, 1!
- kicked >3 goals only 4 times, averaging less than a goal a game and goalless in >50% of his career games.
- Has had >23 possessions only twice

So not excelled as a forward, not excelled as a midfielder

Disagree with the best 22 to some degree.
Can't believe that Izak Rankine is not in the team round 1.
I'd also have Brodie and probably Murdoch in for Young, Ah Chee, Holman

Thanks for posting.
Agree with most of your assessment including the lack of star player - that is pretty damn clear to me 17er, Jack Martin does star like things most weeks but a star player is someone who performs consistently at high level for a whole game week in week out.
Jack definitely has the ability but its pretty hard to argue he has delivered at star level just yet.

He has been played everywhere which is tough on him but in his 81 game career
- 1 brownlow vote, 1!
- kicked >3 goals only 4 times, averaging less than a goal a game and goalless in >50% of his career games.
- Has had >23 possessions only twice

So not excelled as a forward, not excelled as a midfielder

Disagree with the best 22 to some degree.
I was talking more to Jack Martin's star quality and that he is getting better each year. He led to Suns B&F at the time of his injury and if the weird way votes were collated under Eade were repeated, Martin might have won like Gaz did on the basis of best performances weighting so much higher than consistency. How do you reckon Cyril Rioli or Eddie Betts would have gone in the Suns team this year? He is our best player, but playing him at full forward or 7th defender isn't going to win games or Brownlow votes. Bloke is a champion and he might finally have some pieces around him to go to that level fans expect instead of getting frostbite in a desolate forward pocket.

Contrary to popular belief, I had a really hard time settling on the best 22. Originally I had Rankine in the best 22, but then I thought that it didn't make sense for Holman to be excluded after the year he had, so I swapped them. But obviously going forward, the pay-off is a lot larger for the Suns with Rankine in the side.

Contrary to popular belief, I had a really hard time settling on the best 22. Originally I had Rankine in the best 22, but then I thought that it didn't make sense for Holman to be excluded after the year he had, so I swapped them. But obviously going forward, the pay-off is a lot larger for the Suns with Rankine in the side.

Yeah don't think our 22 is that easy to pick.
Lot of competition between guys that are ok but limited upside and young players who are probably not as good just yet but big upside. I'm sure both groups will get run during the year.

I liked your 22. I put together a 22 of incumbent players and it looked really good, so the idea of putting in new blokes is just fantasy footy right now, but even so, you made the case for a fresh looking team. The 4 first rounders will all feature in the early rounds at some point, yet the thing that I think has most Suns fans optimistic is that we covered the outgoing talent twice over by getting a bunch of early picks and journey men to compete for the vacant spots. Such depth means that injury or form won't diminish the squad like it always has because the next bloke will be ready to step up. In the past, the defence simply couldn't function without May - as in 2016 when the Suns season went down the toilet the moment Maysie collected Stef Martin high - yet now there are 7 key defenders on the list who will compete for 2 or 3 senior roles. The Forward line is similarly stocked and the midfield, which wasn't replenished in the Draft, will largely rely on 3rd and 4th year guys to claim their places from veterans.

The main void in the list is leadership, but I think you'll find that the sudden vacuum has seen leaders step up. Weller, Miller, Fiorini, Bowes and Witts (who was Captain for 1 game) are just a few of the guys behind Swallow, Rischa and Hanley who currently lead. Then there is the emerging culture, with 12 Queenslanders and 12 South Australians making up half the list, as well as tremendous Indigenous leadership from Harbrow and Martin. Little things too, like the reunion of old teammates, Rankine and Burgess, Day and Horlin-Smith, Miles and Hombsch, plus Andrew Swallow coming in to coach with his brother potentially becoming captain (who better than a successful former AFL captain?).

I was wrong about the first lot of comments. Seemed to be legit. Can't say I'll be wrong next time I check, but that's not on you. Stay in touch if you're interested in chatting further. My bark is worse than my bite - just don't like the incessant negativity surrounding the Suns.

I was talking more to Jack Martin's star quality and that he is getting better each year. He led to Suns B&F at the time of his injury and if the weird way votes were collated under Eade were repeated, Martin might have won like Gaz did on the basis of best performances weighting so much higher than consistency. How do you reckon Cyril Rioli or Eddie Betts would have gone in the Suns team this year? He is our best player, but playing him at full forward or 7th defender isn't going to win games or Brownlow votes. Bloke is a champion and he might finally have some pieces around him to go to that level fans expect instead of getting frostbite in a desolate forward pocket.

It’s not like jack was playing out of the goal square exclusively.
He won almost 1 centre clearance a game so was definitely in the play a bit more than you make out. Was trying to find his heat map but seems as though the afl app has moved onto 2019.

Also not sure his place in the bnf matters when we are saying gc has no star players.

I am fully on board with this year to come being his best year yet. Reckon we will see an amalgamation of all those little highlights we’ve seen to date and he will play more mid.

Just because he has potential and plays in a bad team doesn’t make him a star. He certainly has potential to be. If he was in a winning team with fast ball movement where he could play as a free wheeling half forward no doubt he would be considered more highly but fact of the matter is, he hasn’t yet. Hopefully we’ll see that this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-05/the-top-2019-draft-prospects-training-at-your-club

As part of the new-look program for players in next year's under-18 Allies squad, prospects who are in that team will also spend time with their local clubs – Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast – while the Allies players from Tasmania will train with North Melbourne, who has a Next Generation Academy zone in that state.

Gold Coast: Connor Budarick, Ashton Crossley*, Hewago Paul-Oea, Alex Davies*, Jack Johnson*, Matt Conroy*, Ben Jungfer* (NT), Malcolm Rosas (NT), Joel Jeffrey* (NT)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-05/the-top-2019-draft-prospects-training-at-your-club

As part of the new-look program for players in next year's under-18 Allies squad, prospects who are in that team will also spend time with their local clubs – Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast – while the Allies players from Tasmania will train with North Melbourne, who has a Next Generation Academy zone in that state.

Gold Coast: Connor Budarick, Ashton Crossley*, Hewago Paul-Oea, Alex Davies*, Jack Johnson*, Matt Conroy*, Ben Jungfer* (NT), Malcolm Rosas (NT), Joel Jeffrey* (NT)
You know what the asterix denotes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back