Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a mid first and formost
Was the U16 best mid in the country.

More then capable to rest forward though.
More so than Brodie who is inside mid only
Scheer was given the task of learning how to play forward and he did a good job of it as his late season form shows. With Barlow, Lyons, Lonergan, Hall and Rosa off the list, the depth chart now sees Scheer move up a few places. Horlin-Smith, Miles and Ellis offer some competition, and guys like Dawson will be fighting for a spot too, but instead of having to play out of position he's going to get all the same training and the opportunity to prove in the NEAFL that he can get in and do the hard graft.

We are talking about a 20 year old kid here, who has already outlasted one of the top picks from his same draft year and avoided getting delisted entirely. For their reasons, the club chose to give contracts to Schoenfeld and Lemmens, but the AFL only cares about the length of contracts these days, so if Scheer is playing better then he could find himself back on the Senior list while they take his place on the Rookie List for the remainder of their contract. Half the list comes out of contract next October, which will change as contracts are extended, but I don't anticipate he's in danger of being cut after only 3 seasons.

Brad played forward but clearly he is a midfielder.
In 6 games this year
1 goal 2 behinds
2 goal assists
4 marks inside 50.

Not really setting the world on fire.
Looking just at the last 2 games though he did build into it. Tough when he probably hasn’t played there before.

4 tackles inside 50
7 score involvements
1 goal 1 behind
0 goal assists

Let’s just say I wouldn’t have him in the team with the plan of playing forward. For me he is in as a midfielder or not at all.
Ah chee has a similar forward skill set - just better for mine.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ben - your only offence was to entice me to break my own rules.
I don't want to get involved in conversations directly about Brad the player - that's so you guys can freely have your own opinions on here without me sticking my bib in. Also stops me possibly giving a false view of Brads own opinion.
Brad is at the point where he speaks by his own performance - he doesn't need me here defending him (but I do admit to giving him a plug when he does do well ( eg NEAFL vs Southport / Geelong final game.)
That said - I'm conflicted when guys like you, Bods, or others, whom I respect from my time on here, ask questions about Brad with a genuine interest .
Should I give my personal feeling or what the club would expect Brads response to be ?
Think you got a little of both in my the response last night... :)

In answer to your general question - club preseason is all about running at the moment . New coaches , New players , feels like a new start - everyone being treated as an equal - it will be a very different starting team next year !
General enough? ;)
Incredibly mature response, are you sure you belong on this forum :)

As others have said, classy

Brad played forward but clearly he is a midfielder.
In 6 games this year
1 goal 2 behinds
2 goal assists
4 marks inside 50.

Not really setting the world on fire.
Looking just at the last 2 games though he did build into it. Tough when he probably hasn’t played there before.

4 tackles inside 50
7 score involvements
1 goal 1 behind
0 goal assists

Let’s just say I wouldn’t have him in the team with the plan of playing forward. For me he is in as a midfielder or not at all.
Ah chee has a similar forward skill set - just better for mine.

A couple of things. One of those behinds came from an improbable angle and distance with the game in the balance for what would have been his first AFL goal. Talk about pressure and the kid had the cajones to have a ding. He'll learn from it and it was probably in his range, but even Rayner failed to win the first QClash of 2018 off his own boot and he was the number 1 draft pick. Also, you mentioned marks inside 50, but didn't give him any credit for the skill and strength he showed doing it in an area which is clearly a huge weakness for our team. He took 8 marks in those final 2 games, 2 contested and 3 inside 50. He didn't have any goal assists, which he was doing with regularity in the NEAFL, because there was nobody there - we were getting thrashed and Scheer was one of the only players who could say he did his best.

Another thing is that Brad played 8 games in the NEAFL, all as a forward, and within 2 or 3 games he was back in the mix for best 22 each time. 6 AFL games is not a great body of work to base a season on, let alone a career. I don't know how many times he was non-playing emergency, but it cut his playing time. Dew and Malceski fluffed about with him as a high half forward, while running Barlow, Dawson, Lonergan and Brodie through the middle. As it turned out, all those guys got a run through the middle at AFL level and now 2 of them are gone altogether.

The club just brought in a whole bunch of players, but if Scheer wants to claim a spot on the inside then the rookie list is where he will have to fight for it from because it is the position group that has the greatest improvement to make. Another couple of guys will be drafted next year to compete for it and the group will have to get better or players will be at risk of losing their spots. Scheer may have the most improvement to give.

A couple of things. One of those behinds came from an improbable angle and distance with the game in the balance for what would have been his first AFL goal. Talk about pressure and the kid had the cajones to have a ding. He'll learn from it and it was probably in his range, but even Rayner failed to win the first QClash of 2018 off his own boot and he was the number 1 draft pick. Also, you mentioned marks inside 50, but didn't give him any credit for the skill and strength he showed doing it in an area which is clearly a huge weakness for our team. He took 8 marks in those final 2 games, 2 contested and 3 inside 50. He didn't have any goal assists, which he was doing with regularity in the NEAFL, because there was nobody there - we were getting thrashed and Scheer was one of the only players who could say he did his best.

Another thing is that Brad played 8 games in the NEAFL, all as a forward, and within 2 or 3 games he was back in the mix for best 22 each time. 6 AFL games is not a great body of work to base a season on, let alone a career. I don't know how many times he was non-playing emergency, but it cut his playing time. Dew and Malceski fluffed about with him as a high half forward, while running Barlow, Dawson, Lonergan and Brodie through the middle. As it turned out, all those guys got a run through the middle at AFL level and now 2 of them are gone altogether.

The club just brought in a whole bunch of players, but if Scheer wants to claim a spot on the inside then the rookie list is where he will have to fight for it from because it is the position group that has the greatest improvement to make. Another couple of guys will be drafted next year to compete for it and the group will have to get better or players will be at risk of losing their spots. Scheer may have the most improvement to give.

Yeah sorry plucked a few stats but left out those ones showing a few contested and inside 50 marks in the last few games. Not intentional to sway any argument.

Don’t get me wrong I think he played well particularly in that Geelong game.

My assessment is his strengths lie in tackling and good hands in tight. Think he is really good with this. For that reason I think he is best as a midfielder.

He is a decent mark for his size. I don’t think he is particularly quick.

If he can play as a midfielder with 30% time forward and kick a few goals - say one every second week - maybe swapping with a jack martin then I think it he could have a spot in the team.

That forward time might have been important because adding extra strings to his bow and remaining versatile is obviously important for dew and increase his chance of getting games.

Yeah sorry plucked a few stats but left out those ones showing a few contested and inside 50 marks in the last few games. Not intentional to sway any argument.

Don’t get me wrong I think he played well particularly in that Geelong game.

My assessment is his strengths lie in tackling and good hands in tight. Think he is really good with this. For that reason I think he is best as a midfielder.

He is a decent mark for his size. I don’t think he is particularly quick.

If he can play as a midfielder with 30% time forward and kick a few goals - say one every second week - maybe swapping with a jack martin then I think it he could have a spot in the team.

That forward time might have been important because adding extra strings to his bow and remaining versatile is obviously important for dew and increase his chance of getting games.

It's Brayden Sier's 21st birthday today. A year ago, he hadn't made his AFL debut and 6 months ago it was still looking unlikely. I'd say he'd be pretty happy with how things worked out. Brad Scheer is lucky, for one that his Academy experience gave him inside knowledge of the system and a quicker transition, while playing at a bottom 2 club means he got crucial blooding in the AFL early on so that as he continues to develop the step up grows less daunting.

Fans at other clubs have grown accustomed to having to wait 3 to 4 years for their Draftees to fully realise their potential. Big bodied mids take time, even if some earn a spot early because of clean disposal and later command their spot once their body grows to full size. Steele Sidebottom and Tom Mitchell are the best exponents in Scheer's weight division and neither truly set the footy world alight consistently until their mid 20s, with Sidey playing beneath his potential and Tom stuck in NEAFL for most of his first 3 seasons and part of his 4th - now he's the Brownlow Medallist after 7 seasons. Not saying this is Scheer's potential, just that there's a high ceiling if he can put it all together. I think that if he can move up with this group of Bowes, Brodie and Ainsworth, then they can become an outstanding midfield unit and all have fallback positions.

Ben - your only offence was to entice me to break my own rules.
I don't want to get involved in conversations directly about Brad the player - that's so you guys can freely have your own opinions on here without me sticking my bib in. Also stops me possibly giving a false view of Brads own opinion.
Brad is at the point where he speaks by his own performance - he doesn't need me here defending him (but I do admit to giving him a plug when he does do well ( eg NEAFL vs Southport / Geelong final game.)
That said - I'm conflicted when guys like you, Bods, or others, whom I respect from my time on here, ask questions about Brad with a genuine interest .
Should I give my personal feeling or what the club would expect Brads response to be ?
Think you got a little of both in my the response last night... :)

In answer to your general question - club preseason is all about running at the moment . New coaches , New players , feels like a new start - everyone being treated as an equal - it will be a very different starting team next year !
General enough? ;)
coaches say he has responded incredibly positively to the rookie deal and has dropped weight and training with a real determination so that is super cool to hear

coaches say he has responded incredibly positively to the rookie deal and has dropped weight and training with a real determination so that is super cool to hear
Good to hear. Being re-rookied isn't the end, it is really just an adjustment to create opportunities for true rookies. The weight subject seems to mean that he finished the year bigger than his listed weight and has returned to around 84kg because he came into last preseason bulked up and played big all year.

Interesting viewpoint - nothing but silence here...;)
Not comfortable to comment when father is watching :) But yes, Mr Bods is way off. Brad is anything but pressure forward.
Good to hear. Being re-rookied isn't the end, it is really just an adjustment to create opportunities for true rookies. The weight subject seems to mean that he finished the year bigger than his listed weight and has returned to around 84kg because he came into last preseason bulked up and played big all year.
Contrary to many people here I am a bit worried about Scheer's future. Make or break year for him. I can see him only as an inside midfielder. There is competition for spots and I am not sure he gets more time to develop beyond 2019. Mr Bods 'pressure forward with acceleration' is not what I see. His skinfold looked suspicious last year, also his lack of urgency/intensity and he does appears slow. I hope Brad proves me wrong.

Last edited:
I don't hate North Melbourne, but they all but committed to relocating to the GC and then allowed a small minority of their members to vote it down. Money was spent on having them play at Carrara and for the 2 years that they were warming to the idea, the AFL could have been concentrating on directly setting up an independent franchise. Instead, the Suns were cobbled together in a hurry and we are still suffering from the rushed decisions and lack of infrastructure from those early days. Now North are playing 4 games in Hobart and that just pisses me off.

It's just you come across as someone who seriously thinks about footy and want your insights to be taken seriously but when you write "Norf" it just looks like a schoolyard jibe from a 12yo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe SunsGal did. any overall comments from the night? i wasn't able to attend this year unfortunately.
Lots of new faces of course, most of the guys were chatty and really enjoying things. The young guys are pretty knackered by training as I would expect. A great bunch all round.
Had a good chat with Francou, loving being with Dewy again and really loving the coast. My god they are all so tall! ...ok I'm only 5'5" but there wasn't much face to face chat.
Jez is surfing every single day, George is finishing his MBA (yes I offered to help), Chris Burgess is looking to buy a place, Francou's family is moving here soon, Sam Collins and Anthony Miles - super friendly and great with the kids, Caleb Graham is loving it and thinks PBC's coach defection will leave big shoes to fill, Corey Ellis was absent (in Brissy for a Dr appointment?), Rankine, King and Lukosious all settling in well and come across as great mates. No bad vibes anywhere that I could see!

Lots of new faces of course, most of the guys were chatty and really enjoying things. The young guys are pretty knackered by training as I would expect. A great bunch all round.
Had a good chat with Francou, loving being with Dewy again and really loving the coast. My god they are all so tall! ...ok I'm only 5'5" but there wasn't much face to face chat.
Jez is surfing every single day, George is finishing his MBA (yes I offered to help), Chris Burgess is looking to buy a place, Francou's family is moving here soon, Sam Collins and Anthony Miles - super friendly and great with the kids, Caleb Graham is loving it and thinks PBC's coach defection will leave big shoes to fill, Corey Ellis was absent (in Brissy for a Dr appointment?), Rankine, King and Lukosious all settling in well and come across as great mates. No bad vibes anywhere that I could see!
Any news on Corbett ?

Sounds like it was a great night.

Here's the video
Looks like they had a good turnout and players look very happy to be there

http://m.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2018-12-13/suns-tv-meet-the-recruits

The title of this thread is symptomatic of the problem.

It is still 2018 and real football is too far away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back