Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Went down to training this morning at Yeronga and watched the first 90 minutes or so.

1) Virtually full squad opposed full field possession/transition drills. Lots of basic drills in general, as usual a lot of non dominant side kicking and hand balling.
2) First time I've seen Ely Smith in person and the photos are accurate, he's a bloody big boy.
3) Tom Joyce and Tom Berry working by themselves doing stability drills and laps.
4) Charlie Cameron did the full field drills so must be very close to 100%, he is so fast and just glides over the ground, seemingly effortlessly. Marcus Adams did the full field stuff as well and did some good things.
5) I heard one of the trainers tell Nick Robertson to do a 20 minute high intensity bike session with Connor McFadyen.
6) Very upbeat and happy group, lots of talk, Mitch Robinson stands out with the talk and encouragement.
7) Chris Fagan doesn't have much to do with the instruction/teaching, he just sits back and watches and leaves it in the hands of his assistants.
8) They all looked good but the ones that stood out for me in the full field drills were, Allen Christensen, Mitch Robinson, Josh Walker, Charlie "lightning" Cameron, Dayne Zorko, Lewy Taylor to name a few.
9) Lachie Neale is short but very solidly built, tree trunk thighs, can see why he is hard to knock off the ball.

Can not wait for season 2019, lots of competition for spots in the first 22, for the first time in a long while there will be some hard selection decisions and some unlucky boys playing in the NEAFL, great signs.

Thanks Jason.

I didn't get around to phoning the club like I was supposed to do.

Any word/confirmation on the next couple of sessions as to where, when....etc?

Went down to training this morning at Yeronga and watched the first 90 minutes or so.

1) Virtually full squad opposed full field possession/transition drills. Lots of basic drills in general, as usual a lot of non dominant side kicking and hand balling.
2) First time I've seen Ely Smith in person and the photos are accurate, he's a bloody big boy.
3) Tom Joyce and Tom Berry working by themselves doing stability drills and laps.
4) Charlie Cameron did the full field drills so must be very close to 100%, he is so fast and just glides over the ground, seemingly effortlessly. Marcus Adams did the full field stuff as well and did some good things.
5) I heard one of the trainers tell Nick Robertson to do a 20 minute high intensity bike session with Connor McFadyen.
6) Very upbeat and happy group, lots of talk, Mitch Robinson stands out with the talk and encouragement.
7) Chris Fagan doesn't have much to do with the instruction/teaching, he just sits back and watches and leaves it in the hands of his assistants.
8) They all looked good but the ones that stood out for me in the full field drills were, Allen Christensen, Mitch Robinson, Josh Walker, Charlie "lightning" Cameron, Dayne Zorko, Lewy Taylor to name a few.
9) Lachie Neale is short but very solidly built, tree trunk thighs, can see why he is hard to knock off the ball.

Can not wait for season 2019, lots of competition for spots in the first 22, for the first time in a long while there will be some hard selection decisions and some unlucky boys playing in the NEAFL, great signs.

You are Mr Pre Season on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bit l like the most is Fagan just leaving it in the hands of the assistants. This is basically what happened in Hawthorn. All the coaches are on the same page and know exactly what to do. This is where Leppa went wrong, he tried to do everything himself and got burnt out. It also allows our assistant coaches to really develop their careers as they are allowed to run the session as the should.

Looks like the coaches are using Robbo as a trainer almost getting the guys up to fitness. Fantastic, hopefully he can have a few guys over the offseason train with him like last season with Matho.

I imagine it would be impossible to get robbo to stay quite and out if the way. He has one operating level and one pace - hyped and flat out. Not someone you'd take for a relaxing weekend but lots of fun on an end of season trip.

Hi Kids. Piccies from yesterday HERE.

Awesome shots as usual. It is crazy comparing your photos of Eric to his draft year picks. Hard to notice his growth day by day but he's clearly a lot stronger than he was when he arrived at the club.

Cox is looking fit and Payne is a giant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back