Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Was that the plan with the White boys? Haha. What happened to them anyway did they kick on as basketballers?
William is playing in Germany but only young and was some talk of him declaring for this years NBA draft but he withdrew, not sure what Darryl Jnr is doing but he went to Fresno State both worth a crack in a year or 2 if the whole basketball thing doesn't look like working out.

Of course that assumes they have any interest in playing AFL.

I went down to the first hour and a bit of training today at Yeronga, some observations-

1) They did a set of 4 x 2 minutes full effort running with 1 minute rest in between each set. Rayner, Witherden and Payne really struggled particularly Cam, he could barely lift his feet up the last minute of the 3rd and 4th sets. Micheal Whiting(pretty sure it was him, he's built like a skeleton with skin over the top) did it with them, he killed it but Jarrod Berry kept pace with him for the first 2 sets and dropped of a little in the last 2.

2) There were 32 players there, the ones I noticed that didn't have to be there were, Dayne Zorko, Ryan Lester, Ryan Bastinac and Nick Robertson.

3) Robertson and Bailey didn't do the 4 x 2s they did laps together for the first half hour and Robbo stopped and Bailey kept going, he looks super fit.

4) Oscar McInerney is built like he's made out of concrete, bigger than he looks from further away or on screen, running into him would be like running into a telegraph pole.

5) They did a lot of kicking and hand balling drills and always used their non dominant side regularly. Fullarton was in a group very close to where I was sitting and looks to have good skills.

6) Starcevich is a solid young guy. Matty Eagles is vocal. A lot of encouragement in general within the group and coaches. A few times I heard them say to each other, body language guys body language. Hippy doesn't look any bigger to me.

7) They did some set shots early, McInerney looks awkward but rarely missed, Hippy good too.

8) No one in what you would call a rehab group that I saw:D:cool:.

I went down to the first hour and a bit of training today at Yeronga, some observations-

1) They did a set of 4 x 2 minutes full effort running with 1 minute rest in between each set. Rayner, Witherden and Payne really struggled particularly Cam, he could barely lift his feet up the last minute of the 3rd and 4th sets. Micheal Whiting(pretty sure it was him, he's built like a skeleton with skin over the top) did it with them, he killed it but Jarrod Berry kept pace with him for the first 2 sets and dropped of a little in the last 2.

2) There were 32 players there, the ones I noticed that didn't have to be there were, Dayne Zorko, Ryan Lester, Ryan Bastinac and Nick Robertson.

3) Robertson and Bailey didn't do the 4 x 2s they did laps together for the first half hour and Robbo stopped and Bailey kept going, he looks super fit.

4) Oscar McInerney is built like he's made out of concrete, bigger than he looks from further away or on screen, running into him would be like running into a telegraph pole.

5) They did a lot of kicking and hand balling drills and always used their non dominant side regularly. Fullarton was in a group very close to where I was sitting and looks to have good skills.

6) Starcevich is a solid young guy. Matty Eagles is vocal. A lot of encouragement in general within the group and coaches. A few times I heard them say to each other, body language guys body language. Hippy doesn't look any bigger to me.

7) They did some set shots early, McInerney looks awkward but rarely missed, Hippy good too.

Thanks Jason.

With Oscar my hope is he can use that frame to keep position better moving forward. Just seems like he needs to be switched on at every contest, a few times last year he would win a contest against a big rusk and then get bodied out by a much smaller guy in the same game.

Has a heap of potential and showed so much this year.

Thanks Jason.

With Oscar my hope is he can use that frame to keep position better moving forward. Just seems like he needs to be switched on at every contest, a few times last year he would win a contest against a big rusk and then get bodied out by a much smaller guy in the same game.

I forgot to mention it before but the big O (I didn't take notes just going from memory:shoutyoldman:) was doing some ruck work with one of the coaches and he was giving him a lot of direction on where to position his body, a lot of demonstrating of how to use shoulders and hips.

Thanks Jason.

I reckon it takes a while for the big fellas to realise just how big they are. And that their bodies entitle them to use a bit of the "outta my way, short people".

I look forward to a season of Big O consolidation. He has the talent.

Interesting re. Hippy. looked noticeably bigger in a photo that someone posted earlier.

The shoulders on Adams - massive
Yep, he's a big boy, he kept up really well in the running drills as well, ditto Lincoln McCarthy who has a short solid tank build, massive arms and shoulders, from all that time in the gym with multiple injuries when he couldn't run probably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bez is going to kill it next season. In my mind the step change improvement in bez, Hugh, Bailey, hippy and mcstay will be the difference in winning 10 games next season and not 5.

Bez is going to kill it next season. In my mind the step change improvement in bez, Hugh, Bailey, hippy and mcstay will be the difference in winning 10 games next season and not 5.
Berry just needs to make sure he doesn't get injured. Had some sort of foot complaint at the end of the 2017 season which kept him from comleting a full 2018 preseason. Get a full pre-season into him and he will take the next level. Amazing that it feels like so many of our players are ready for big improvement in Berry, McCluggage, McStay, Hippy even Starcevich. Everything he did in games was quality he just didn't get enough of it.

From the article:

No one puts their hands on their knees. That's a massive no-no in Austin's regime and would result in punishment for the entire group.

This was a HUGE THING back in Leigh Matthews days. I had a friend in high school who was obsessed with the Lions and he told me back then that Leigh made the players put their hands behind their head if they felt the need to put their hands on their knees. Something to do with it being a sign of weakness/submission in a sporting game Id assume.

Good to see it encouraged.

What a great article from Whiting on his pre-season session with team.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-13/what-happens-when-a-fit-journo-trains-with-footy-players

Rhys Mathieson has improved his running markedly in three seasons. And he has to keep doing so. Brisbane has recruited Lachie Neale and Jarryd Lyons and will almost certainly take a talented midfielder with pick number 18 in the upcoming NAB AFL Draft.

These players are after his spot.

Mathieson is a great personality. In the front half of the pack, he's one of the loudest voices on the field, but also as I learnt, one of the most inquisitive. After our third rep he was asking how he should attack his fourth.

"I think if I go out too slow I won't be able to make it up in the second lap," he says.

Mathieson is one of three Lions – Corey Lyons and Jacob Allison the others – who are learning to transition better from offence to defence.
There's no question these three are pushed the hardest all day. My legs were still jaded from the three-minute efforts and these three were being asked to repeatedly sprint 50-70m after an assistant coach until they caught them.

The parts on Matho's running caught my eye. Also that C.Lyons and Allison also being pushed very hard to improve their defensive abilities. I'd think Matho and the two Lyons are all vying for the same spot, will be interesting to see how that unfolds.

Last edited:
What a great article from Whiting on his pre-season session with team.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-13/what-happens-when-a-fit-journo-trains-with-footy-players

The parts on Matho's running caught my eye. Also that C.Lyons and Allison also being pushed very hard to improve their defensive abilities. I'd think Matho and the two Lyons are all vying for the same spot, will be interesting to see how that unfolds.
Really interesting and enlightening to read. Well done to Horse (Fish)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back