Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree strongly with Fagan's observation re Zac Bailey. I was very impressed with his run and carry off HB. Basically a revelation TBH.

If Cox can hit his straps as well, look out!!!
I picked Zac as a star,during the nationals,he took Rayner to the cleaners in big moments,people on this board ,evidence the immature reaction to Ely,who had a sensationai impact when he came into that nationals side, have lots of say so and not much do so !Cox,would be our most significant additions in terms of needs if he makes it,hopefully he does,and we should all be supporting him in the cause.Ely is a gun.

I back Ely Smith. Late bloomer. Played off Broadway mostly so the other teams haven't had a chance to suss him out. Our connection to Vic Country means we have been monitoring him longer than most. In the early parts of the year Dom Ambrogio mentioned his name on the roar deal as someone to watch. I think he will have an immediate impact like SPP. However he also has great skills so will only need to work on his tank unlike SPP.

From what I have seen Cox has put on some size whilst improving his fitness. Watching him in the games so far he has had an Adam Saad like excitement about him when he has the ball. Unfortunately his lack of strength let him down from taking on the game. Thus also affected his confidence. This year he should be able to burst through a tackle and really use his skills to get great field position and metres gained.

Bailey similarly has put on mass. I back him to have a significant impact next year similar to Cox. He awas already bursting some tackles in the latter games he has had. This preseason should enable him to get to more contests and really burst through.

Starcevich will need to battle Smith to retain his spot. Mitch Robinson should be worried about both these boys.

Players like Robertson Cutler Taylor Robinson will need to play very well to keep their spots.

Wooler has also looked more agile and really fit. He isn't that far off Mcstays spot. Walker has come back looking very good as well. It will be interesting to see who plays 2nd 3rd tall forward and back from the combination of MyStay Adams Walker and Wooler. I don't see how Sam Skinner can break into this line up despite going so well. Jack Paine will also be pushing for the back spot.

I don't see how people are able to put through a best 22 yet. There are so few locks. Fagan is going to struggle if we get through to Feb with this injury list.

The only locks I have are HAndrews Gardiner Witherdon Stef Zorko Berry McCluggage Neale Cameron Rayner.

Hodge Rich Robertson will probably have to fight with the younger boys to see how many old heads vs newbies we play. Third tall at either end of the ground is a wash. Do we play OMac or go for another tall forward? Midfield is a wash with the likes of Matho fighting against experienced in the likes of Lyons and the younger Bailey Starc.

This is such an enviable position we have. Never been more excited for Round 1 list lodgement

I back Ely Smith. Late bloomer. Played off Broadway mostly so the other teams haven't had a chance to suss him out. Our connection to Vic Country means we have been monitoring him longer than most. In the early parts of the year Dom Ambrogio mentioned his name on the roar deal as someone to watch. I think he will have an immediate impact like SPP. However he also has great skills so will only need to work on his tank unlike SPP.

From what I have seen Cox has put on some size whilst improving his fitness. Watching him in the games so far he has had an Adam Saad like excitement about him when he has the ball. Unfortunately his lack of strength let him down from taking on the game. Thus also affected his confidence. This year he should be able to burst through a tackle and really use his skills to get great field position and metres gained.

Bailey similarly has put on mass. I back him to have a significant impact next year similar to Cox. He awas already bursting some tackles in the latter games he has had. This preseason should enable him to get to more contests and really burst through.

Starcevich will need to battle Smith to retain his spot. Mitch Robinson should be worried about both these boys.

Players like Robertson Cutler Taylor Robinson will need to play very well to keep their spots.

Wooler has also looked more agile and really fit. He isn't that far off Mcstays spot. Walker has come back looking very good as well. It will be interesting to see who plays 2nd 3rd tall forward and back from the combination of MyStay Adams Walker and Wooler. I don't see how Sam Skinner can break into this line up despite going so well. Jack Paine will also be pushing for the back spot.

I don't see how people are able to put through a best 22 yet. There are so few locks. Fagan is going to struggle if we get through to Feb with this injury list.

The only locks I have are HAndrews Gardiner Witherdon Stef Zorko Berry McCluggage Neale Cameron Rayner.

Hodge Rich Robertson will probably have to fight with the younger boys to see how many old heads vs newbies we play. Third tall at either end of the ground is a wash. Do we play OMac or go for another tall forward? Midfield is a wash with the likes of Matho fighting against experienced in the likes of Lyons and the younger Bailey Starc.

This is such an enviable position we have. Never been more excited for Round 1 list lodgement

I expect Fagan will play it relatively safe in round one and favour guys with experience runs on the board with relatively few surprises. But it will quickly become apparent that those spots are far from safe and that reputation/experience has to translate into performance or the young guys will dislodge you fast.

Believe your confusing the two Doms.

Dom Ambrogio the list manager and Dom Fay host of the Roar Deal.

Dom Fay, when talking to Stephen Conole on the post draft podcast mentioned that Stephen had highlighted Ely Smith as one to watch when Stephen was on the Roar Deal in June. It must have been an off air discussion, because I went back to listen to that episode, and I didn't hear Ely's name mentioned. Mind you, I was doing the mowing at the same time, so might have missed it.

Our half forward spots will be interesting, with Rayner, Starcevich, Tom Berry and Connor McFadyen all looking to play there while they develop their tanks and midfield craft. Along with Squizzy and MRobbo. And it's where McCluggage has been penciled in starting the previous two seasons.

It certainly raises the question about our forward line. Do we play two or three talls?

Surely Hipwood is a lock?

Rich was doing a lot of casual walking and jogging this afternoon but didn't look particularly distressed or perturbed. Maybe a minor niggle or just a planned light training load?

I thought Cedric looked good in the match simulation and Charlie did a few nice things and looked dangerous. Hodge looked like the thorough pro he is and looked like Hodge..

The Toms (Joyce and Berry) did a lot of laps together. Ely Smith ran hard in the match simulation , First time I've seen him in the flesh.........UNIT!. Neale cracked in hard and had a lot of guys yelling at him to give them the ball:)

Keays dropped an exquisitely timed footpass out of traffic to Oscar on the lead.....who managed to completely bugger up
a set shot from 25 out right in fronto_O. Come to think of it, there seemed to be a lot of behinds being kicked from relatively easy set shots. I'd like to think it was a deliberate training plan to enable the lads to practise their kick ins:think:

Leigh Matthews walked past a bigger than usual band of Lions tragics , said hello, continued on his way and looked resplendent in his pink shorts. Went and sat in that teeny grandstand beside Yeronga No.1 to watch the rest of the training session. Good to see the great man taking an interest.

Pleasant conditions today with a nice cool breeze for which I'm sure most of the newbees would have been grateful
Had to leave early but all looked well with fitness and mobility

Keep all fingers. toes and other body parts crossed that this amazing injury free run continues

Overall a pretty light session with this Friday morning being the last before the Christmas break

Was told they'll resume on Jan 7 which would be a Monday morning, Sounds about right.

GO LIONS!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be sweet. Coupled with a thrashing of Richmond and it would be a game for the ages

Imagine if come round 23 we are 1 win out of the 8 and must beat Richmond. Late in the fourth a stray ball off the boot of Witherden flies into the middle. Smith and Martin compete for the pill.... Martin tries the 'dont argue' on the chest of Smith, only for his wrist to snap due to Ely's impenetrable physique. Smith then picks up the ball, takes a run and lands the perfect pass onto the chest of Rayner. The siren goes. Rayner goes for the run around kick and sends the ball sailing through.

Lions win!

Imagine if come round 23 we are 1 win out of the 8 and must beat Richmond. Late in the fourth a stray ball off the boot of Witherden flies into the middle. Smith and Martin compete for the pill.... Martin tries the 'dont argue' on the chest of Smith, only for his wrist to snap due to Ely's impenetrable physique. Smith then picks up the ball, takes a run and lands the perfect pass onto the chest of Rayner. The siren goes. Rayner goes for the run around kick and sends the ball sailing through.

Lions win!

Gives us something to think about rather than dreading that game I guess :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back