Training 2019 Preseason

Abbreviated training report 9/1/19-

Took the granddaughter for a scooter ride(I was running beside her, she was setting a cracking pace:)) late this afternoon, went past Yeronga and the boys were there, we stayed for what would have been the last hour or so. I spoke to a couple of other guys that were there.

1) It was a fitness based session, doing drills under fatigue, lots of laps interspersed with the drills.
2) I was and the other guys there were highly impressed with Lincoln McCarthy, looks primed, clean at ground level, great snap, and fit, fingers crossed for the upcoming season.
3) The Scottish/English?? kicking coach who was working with Dan McStay was there working on set shots with the boys, Ballenden and Fullarton looked good.
4) Cedric Cox doing laps, looks extremely fit.
5) Cam Rayner doing laps as well, looked to be still struggling a little, might be rose colored glasses but he did look better than pre Christmas to my untrained eye.
6) Lachie Neale, Harris Andrews and Dayne Zorko were taking repeat sprints (3 different groups), on the side of the ground I was on, no coaches around, players taking ownership, fantastic to see.
7) Ben Keays was up and about, lot of encouragement and enthusiasm, Charlie Cameron smooth as silk as usual, Allen Christensen was doing a lot of ground ball drills, very clean.

For those interested I have it on good authority there is another session at Yeronga Friday morning.

What time is Friday's session? Thanks

Is that Fullarton besides hippy on the other side of the coach?
Who ever it is, he looks like he has a strong physique or proportion.
The stats on him say he is already 98kg.
Yes it is. Would be surprised if he isn't already 100kg +.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Abbreviated training report 9/1/19-

Took the granddaughter for a scooter ride(I was running beside her, she was setting a cracking pace:)) late this afternoon, went past Yeronga and the boys were there, we stayed for what would have been the last hour or so. I spoke to a couple of other guys that were there.

1) It was a fitness based session, doing drills under fatigue, lots of laps interspersed with the drills.
2) I was and the other guys there were highly impressed with Lincoln McCarthy, looks primed, clean at ground level, great snap, and fit, fingers crossed for the upcoming season.
3) The Scottish/English?? kicking coach who was working with Dan McStay was there working on set shots with the boys, Ballenden and Fullarton looked good.
4) Cedric Cox doing laps, looks extremely fit.
5) Cam Rayner doing laps as well, looked to be still struggling a little, might be rose colored glasses but he did look better than pre Christmas to my untrained eye.
6) Lachie Neale, Harris Andrews and Dayne Zorko were taking repeat sprints (3 different groups), on the side of the ground I was on, no coaches around, players taking ownership, fantastic to see.
7) Ben Keays was up and about, lot of encouragement and enthusiasm, Charlie Cameron smooth as silk as usual, Allen Christensen was doing a lot of ground ball drills, very clean.

For those interested I have it on good authority there is another session at Yeronga Friday morning.
Just out of curiosity, you didn’t take your grand daughter to Carindale afterwards did you?

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No mate, I try to stay away from the big shopping centers particularly during school holidays.

I loathe big shopping centres. Liked Chermside in the 80's/90's but these days it's a mini city. Was a great area back then but now with all the monstrous high rises & the traffic it's a nightmare

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've lived near Knox shopping centre for 22yrs, I've been there approx 6-7 times. I also loathe big shopping centres. Have been to Chadstone once in that time.

I was at the opening at Chaddy and used to go there every saturday with Mum and Dad when I was a kid, but it has got way to big now....I keep right away from them all.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I loathe big shopping centres. Liked Chermside in the 80's/90's but these days it's a mini city. Was a great area back then but now with all the monstrous high rises & the traffic it's a nightmare
I've lived near Knox shopping centre for 22yrs, I've been there approx 6-7 times. I also loathe big shopping centres. Have been to Chadstone once in that time.

I was at the opening at Chaddy and used to go there every saturday with Mum and Dad when I was a kid, but it has got way to big now....I keep right away from them all.
I went to Garden City, had to get some gear from Kathmandu for my NZ trip, I bloody got lost in there, spent a couple of minutes trying to work out those touch screen information desk thingys.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
...and having to drive around and around looking for a car park, then trying to remember where you parked it and how to get there!
It’s a five minute walk from our place to Carindale. We’ll often go for a walk along the walkway next to creek after work. Swing up around the back of Carindale and walk through the shopping centre.

All the shops are closed by then, except for the restaurants, so it’s pretty quiet to walk through and air conditioned.

Drop in to Woolworths and see what cakes/desserts have been discounted, then walk home.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
still waiting for the typical Brisbane floods to roll in that will derail our preseason preps. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen this year.

The AFL needs to identify the most drought stricken area of Australia and schedule Brisbane’s pre-season games there. The creeks and dams would be full within a week.

fullerton or whatever his name is looks a decent size. Can see he could still add another 10kgs easily. Scary and for AFL is very athletic.
There is this thing where the heavier you are the less you are able to move.

I’m actually watching my wife right now.

xplo

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2004
The Original 'Cougar'
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
fullerton or whatever his name is looks a decent size. Can see he could still add another 10kgs easily. Scary and for AFL is very athletic.

I actually hope he doesn't get too huge.

Watching his basketball video, I love the little sharp steps he drops in to slice through traffic. Not that he avoids contact. But defenders that think they have him blocked struggle when he suddenly accelerates and carves out of their target sweet spot - without losing any pace.

His basketball looks like a 200cm Cutler. I can see defenders thinking they have him and spinning off like loose hub caps.

Back